Action Figure Blues Forum
July 07, 2022, 02:56:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Toys I Grew Up With...WEB DIVER

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toys I Grew Up With...WEB DIVER  (Read 6173 times)
Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 157

There's a little black spot on the sun today...

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »

Here's a link for more in-depth reviews: http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/Japan/reviews.shtml#webdiver

Takara took a brief break from the Transformers brand around 2000, coming out with the video-game based transforming Web Diver series. This was followed by another game-related line that did pretty poorly called Dai Gander, so they went back to Transformers.  

The gimmick is that the main figure, Gradion, is a console video game that can hook up to your TV.  Now in reality, he was a train that transformed into a robot. In robot mode he could hook up to your TV and there was a game built into the toy that would then activate. Most of the smaller figures can interact with Gradion as weapons that attach to Gradion's robot mode.  Whichever weapon was hooked up to Gradion would then appear in the game.  The game kinda sucks and I can't read Japanese, so the instructions are usless.

There were LARGE figures, mid-sized and what we would call deluxe-sized figures in this line. There were also small PVC's, rotocast figures, a playset, a kid-sized transforming sword and a mid-sized non-transforming figure with limited transformation add-on weapons.

I should note that almost all the figures (besides Gradion) had a weapon mode, a vehicle mode and a robot mode. One even had a Headmaster!!! Oh and almost all of them (except the PVC's and the rotocast figures) had light-ups

I will name the figures in the photos and give a brief description.

Here we have: Jagua-on, Shark-on and Griffi-on. Each of these had 3 modes. I do not show the weapon modes here, but you can see them on the lower corner of the boxes.

Here are their respective vehicles.

And here are their robot modes. 6-inches tall.

Here are Phoenic-on and Cerberion.

Standard modes: Please note that Cerberion and Orthrion are Quad-changers in that they each have: a beast mode, a vehicle mode, a merged mode and a weapon mode. Shocked

Here are the vehicle modes for Cerberion and Orthrion.

And here are the robot modes. Note that Cerberion and Orthrion combine to form Golem-on. There are actually 2 different heads for Golem-on but I was too lazy to take another picture! Golem-on is 7 inches tall at the head.

Next up are Garyuun and Gradion. I didn't bother to transform Gradion as mine has a weak shoulder joint that I don't think could stand up to another transformation. You just have to check out the box pics. Undecided
 Gradion stands 12 inches tall.

Vehicle mode:

Robot mode: BAD-ASS!!!   A pirate ship!!!   From a dragon?!?!?   COOL!!!

Here is Drag-on. He carries Gradion in vehicle mode. He does not offer any weapons in the game. He has a vehicle mode, robot mode and 2 weapon platform modes. He has a 31.5 inch wingspan. 2 and a half feet of wings!!!. He takes up ALOT of space!!! Shocked

Next up is another big guy...Daedalion
He also does not produce a weapon in game mode. Anyway, this guy is a real treat! He has a MASSIVE robot mode and a cool vehicle mode. He also has a Headmaster!!! He mainly interacts with the next 2 figures I will be showing, as he can combine with either of them to create new heads, new arms or landing gear for his vehicle mode!!! Oh, and his engine block transforms into a HUGE battle axe!!! Shocked He is 11 inches tall at his head. A bit more when you include the wings on his back.

Up next we have Pegasion and Liagon. These had vehicle modes, robot modes, Headmaster modes and arm modes. They had a light-up feature, and could connect to Gradion, but did not produce weapons in the game. The Headmaster modes and arm modes were intended for use with Daedalion. The vehicle modes could be used as rear landing gear for him as well.

Robot modes. 6-7 inches tall.

Next up we have Gradionís transforming sword. It transforms into a gun. It is sized for a kid, and has lights and sounds. I donít know if it produced a weapon in the game.

Now we move on to the non-transforming toys! WHEEE!!!!!!

Here we have the Flash Docking Gradion. He moves at the shoulders, knees, wrists, waist and neck. He has a light-up feature. The vehicles that came with him only transformed into weapon modes, as is shown in the following pic. He is 6 Ė inches tall.

Here are the rotocast figures. They have limited movement and are roughly 4-5 inches high.

And finally we have 2 sets of PVC figures. Each set came with nice chromed stands for the figures, but they didnít have pegs to keep the figures in place. Each figure has between 2-5 points of articulation. There was also a Jaga-on in weapon mode included in PVC set # 1 if you wanted a powered-up Gradion which is shown in the second pic below.

Anyway, I hope youíve enjoyed this edition of Toys I Grew Up With. Maybe you found a new line to search out, and if not I hope you at least learned something.

Also, Iím missing 2 Web Diver toys: Wyverion and the battle station. Sorry I couldnít  give you a COMPLETE listing but I try.

Stars
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:54:11 pm by Stars » Report Spam   Logged

It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:45 pm »

Stars, your eclectic taste makes this feature a real joy to read - I always discover something new!

Your article is brilliant - thanks for all the effort you put into it. One of the things I really want to do with the blog and the forum this year is to set up structures that promote this kind of fantastic work!

I'll PM you with an idea.

Well done Stars!!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:39:59 pm »

Stars, that was a great review.

Are these from your own collection?

If so, any chance of some collection pics?
Report Spam   Logged
Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »

Thanks!!!

Yes, all those are mine. Those are my collection pics, as they are all boxed up now except for Gradion, Garyuun, Daedalion and the Flash Docking Gradion.
I just ran out of room and had to cycle out the older stuff to put my newer stuff on display.

However, I do change out my displays occassionally, so I'm sure they will end up on display again sometime.

Here are some pics from a Feb. 2008. My set-up has changed quite a bit since then, I've added 2 new shelves and switched out most of the stuff in the pics. The ML shelf and the G1 TF's are the only things that stayed the same. At any rate, you can see alot of these figures in the next to last pic.

Stars
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:22:00 pm by Starman » Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:54 am »

Jeepers! I've seen some of those pics before, but that's just stunning. I always love looking at your Nightcrawler display
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:35:27 pm »

Cool, thanks. It's always interesting to see other peoples collections.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »

Wow Stars! You knocked that one out of the park. That is just an amazing write-up. And honestly, a robot dragon that changes into a pirate ship? Best-Freakin'-Toy-Ever!!!!!!

Love the collection pics too. You need more Sentinels though  Cheesy

Who is that huge clawed guy in the last photo on the left of Starscream/Monkeyman?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:56:58 pm by fishmilkshake » Report Spam   Logged

Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:28 pm »

Huge Clawed Guy:

http://www.action-figures.ca/inhumanoids.htm

OR

Other Huge Clawed Guy

http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/002501.php

Stars
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:00:18 pm by Starman » Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:59:35 pm »

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all about them. Don't know that we ever saw them here (big surprise). Tendril looks pretty darn cool.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:06 am »

Awesome article Stars,i really find myself marvelling at all the great stuff out there that i have never seen.These are a really great concept,excellent work mate.

Your displays remind me of a friend i have that lives in Chicago,the two of you would go nuts if you ever got together.He has the most varied collection i still have never seen topped and his whole House is covered in it and he still can't display it all at once.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:20:02 am »

Awesome article Stars,i really find myself marvelling at all the great stuff out there that i have never seen.These are a really great concept,excellent work mate.

Your displays remind me of a friend i have that lives in Chicago,the two of you would go nuts if you ever got together.He has the most varied collection i still have never seen topped and his whole House is covered in it and he still can't display it all at once.

You have a friend in Chicago? Tell him to watch out: my mother is there!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:33 pm »

Starman's Web Diver Review is now online at the AFB Forum:

http://www.actionfigureblues.com/2011/08/afb-presents-starmans-toys-i-grew-up.html

Enjoy!

Andy
Report Spam   Logged

Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:52:20 pm »

Thanks Andy!!!!

Stars
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »

Thanks Andy!!!!

Stars

Pleasure mate - keep 'em coming!
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 07:06:57 am »

Congrats Stars,you deserve it.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp