Action Figure Blues Forum
February 21, 2019, 05:45:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Kirby Your Enthusiasm" Custom Contest Official Entry Pics!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Kirby Your Enthusiasm" Custom Contest Official Entry Pics!  (Read 2017 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:19:58 am »

Okay gang, here we go! I'll be posting the challenge entries in a randomly selected order.

This thread will be read-only and there is a separate thread for comments: http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,3281.0.html

Please be sure to make comments to support our customisers. Voting instructions will be posted shortly - please don't vote in the threads!

Sit back, relax and enjoy!

Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:35 am »

NiteOwl’s Entry:

Living Totem!!!

I searched through the whole database of the Jack Kirby portfolio. I was very happy to find this guy!!

Apparently he is an Alien who was sealed underground by an Indian Medicine man. Years later he re-emerged to fight the Raw Hide Kid. He has superhuman strength and durability.

I believe his first appearance was in the Raw Hide Kid #22 1960, he has also resurfaced to take on the West Coast Avengers when the were stuck in a time vortex and transported back to the 1870's.

The main body and head is made from a a piece of pvc pipe I had stored under the house.
The arms are from a Bill Pullman id4 figure ansd sculpted over, his legs are from a tmnt figure with sculpey added. The face and main toem pieces are sculpted I had to cut an ice cream container lid to fill in the areas on top of the head and neck line. I took certain liberties with the design, I couldn't find a way to make the head more circulaur.

Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:21:07 am »

Jackknight’s Entry:

Fandral

Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:21:48 am »

Andy’s Entry:

Baron Strucker

Now, remember, this is the first time I have ever attempted a custom, so be kind!!

I’m not sure why I settled on Baron Strucker as my custom entry, but once I saw him on the list and looked at some reference pics, I couldn’t get him out of my head. I thought the colours would be pretty easy to manage, there was minimal sculpting required (the thing I was most afraid of) and I’d whip up one of those whiz bang decals for the chest emblem - they had to be easy, right?

The recipe I settled on was a DCUC Commander Steel body (nothing to sand off), the cowl of the cape from the DCUC GA Starman as the base for Baron Strucker’s little capelet (which turned out bigger than I wanted, but oh well...) and the DCUC Lex Luthor head - a sacrifice, but I couldn’t come up with a good alternative.

I used spray paint for the two greens and started off trying to paint the yellow, however I didn’t plan well enough for it and had to resort to yellow tape (thanks Dr T for the advice on that!). The monocle started it’s life as an earring, and the braid was easy to find but rather fiddly to attach.

I used a sharp knife to cut the scars in Strucker’s head and then a flesh coloured fine point marker to highlight them.

The decal wasn’t whiz bang easy, but I managed. I tried transparent decal paper but the yellow wasn’t strong enough to withstand the green underneath. I ended up using adhesive sticker paper which was harder to apply without creasing but did the trick in the end.

Once I’d finished the whole process, I knew there were many things I’d differently, but as a first attempt I’m not completely disappointed with him.
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:22:46 am »

Starman’s Entry:

Magneto

Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:33 am »

Dr Terrific’s Entry:

Crazy Quilt

I make very little stuff for myself (who the hell has the time?) and I really enjoy the Brave & Bold show.  It just so happens that one villain was a Kirby creation:

Crazy Quilt:

Crazy Quilt is the Brave and Bold Aquaman figure, with the Brave and Bold Green Arrow skirt and belt accessory.

Scarf, helmet, and face were sculpted from Tamiya putty.

My plan is to re-create my favorite BATMAN Crazy Quilt cover with my Brave & Bold custom figures...
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 12:24:11 am »

TotalToyz’s Entry:

Goom

Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 12:24:53 am »

FB’s Entry:

Big Barda

When the theme was decided I really wasn't sure who to go with. I referred to my recently acquired Kirby Book and when I came across the King's Pic of Barda I knew i had to go with her. First I did a bit of research to see if anyone had done this version of Barda in a 6" Scale before and all i could find was a couple of JLU versions.

Then the next part of planning was what Base to use and how the Figure would fit in with my Collection. Choice was obvious with the Ross Justice Wonder Woman, she's tall and muscular, perfect for Barda.

And that's the whole recipe, Justice Wonder Woman with hair stolen from my old Nightstar Custom. I wanted to Sculpt the Hair but it was going to be too time consuming. The rest was Apoxie Sculpt, Styrene and a bit of Costume Jewellery for the Headband.
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:48 am »

fishmilkshake’s Entry:

MANGOG

Mangog is a long time Thor villain who has been around since the silver age. See below for behind the scenes details.

FRONT

SIDE

BACK

SCALE

FIGHT!!

FUNNY?

DETAILS

When we were discussing scale, I thought "what if I stay in 6 inch scale just go for a big character?" That's when Mangog came to mind. At first I didn't think it would be possible because I couldn't think of a buck big enough. Then I remembered the rotocast Hulk from the first movie. Scored a cheapy off ebay and then I started planning. The first thing I noticed when looking at the reference pics was that there were dozens of interpretations of him. Not even Kirby drew him consistently, let alone the colorists who made it up as they went. In the end I picked the bits I liked best and made a reference board.

Click here for behind the scenes

[spoiler] 

When I pantsed him his whole groin area was actually small, so I sculpted a layer of green stuff over the area to create pants. I then used plasticard to make a belt.

I removed the head, leaving the neck so articulation would remain. Chopped most of the hands and feet off. Because he's hollow I shoved 'green Stuff' in the cavities and added wire as an armature to build on. Then came night after night of sculpting some areas, then leaving it 24 hours to harden. Then doing a little more. The head required about 9 sessions to sculpt and that doesn't involve the sessions where I sanded his teeth to be jagged, etc. Sculpted the hands and feet to look like they're poking out of his costume as he has weird sock thingies.

The tail is the back half of some cheap wooden snake. Glued into the shape I wanted. It's attached to Mangog via magnets so it's removable and retains articulation.

The base is something I whipped up during those times I was waiting around for paint or glue to dry.

Then I spent hours and hours and hours sanding. First on the rotary tool, then with sandpaper. Ugggh.....what a horrible job. Then priming and painting.

Head - completely sculpted from 'Green Stuff'
Pants - completely sculpted from 'Green Stuff', plus some rivets, some plasticard for the belt and leather cord for the edges.
Hands - mostly sculpted from 'Green Stuff'. Black cotton for the 'lines'
Feet - mostly sculpted from 'Green Stuff'
Tail - cut out a piece from some toy wooden snake
Paint (body) - Tamiya "Camel Yellow", Tamiya "Flat yellow"
Paint (pants) - Tamiya "Purple", Citadel "Hormagaunt purple"
Paint (head, hands) - Tamiya "X-9 Brown" and assorted other colours for shading and highlighting
Paint (Claws, toes, horns) - Citadel "Tin Bitz" plus shading

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:42:08 am by fishmilkshake » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure