Action Figure Blues Forum
October 23, 2021, 08:14:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Best and worst book to movie translations

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best and worst book to movie translations  (Read 1146 times)
aj_rogan
Pegwarmer

QC: 7

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:27:55 pm »

I was thinking, what books do you think have most successfully and least successfully been translated to film? Is there any film you've ever read that lived up to the book?

Just a thought to get discussion going.

AJ
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pierce
Mint on Card

QC: 6

For external use only, not to be taken internally.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:32 pm »

I was thinking, what books do you think have most successfully and least successfully been translated to film? Is there any film you've ever read that lived up to the book?

Just a thought to get discussion going.

AJ

They could have done an alternate ending to Fight Club to bring it into line with the book.
Report Spam   Logged

In a flurry of flame and fur, fangs and wicker, thus ended the world's first and only hot air baboon ride.
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:33 am »

I've never read "Eragon", but if it's anything like that wretched, wretched film then the author should be shot.

My favourite book of all time is "I am Legend" which has been filmed as "The Last Man on Earth", "The Omega Man" and "I am Legend". Each has it's pros and cons but I'd like to see a faithful adaptation one day.

I still think 'Watchmen' was about as good as it could be without being anti-film.

One of my favourite films of all time is Michael Mann's "Last of the Mohicans"....just a beautiful film.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:36:24 am »

I still think 'Watchmen' was about as good as it could be without being anti-film.

yeah,i'd agree with that.

I'm going for the obvious here and one of the greatest debates for a good book-to-film adaptation but i was really happy with the Lord of the Rings translations.
Ok,there was heaps missed and many inaccuracies which i'm well aware of as i have read all the Books many,many times and know the whole thing well.However,the essence of all characters was there,the world and imagery was pretty much what i imagined and to see these Books come to life was a brilliant experience for me.
Tolkien was honoured appropriately as far as i'm concerned.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
TotalToyz
Online Exclusive

QC: 90

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:09 am »

Best: The original version of Of Mice and Men, with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney Jr.
Worst: What's The Worst That Could Happen? with Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm TotalToyz, and I approve this message.
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

Best: The original version of Of Mice and Men, with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney Jr.
Worst: What's The Worst That Could Happen? with Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito.

I pretty much skip any film with Martin Lawrence in it. I did give "Wild Hogs" a go though because I like Travolta.
Report Spam   Logged

BlackWolf2009
I'll huff and Puff and steal all your toys on ebay!
Chase Figure

QC: 21

I been around toys way to long

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »

Oh god all to easy first choice The Vampirella Movie!!!! Huh? What classic sad sack event that ran to. IT missed a clear easy chance to come out a good chance to be turned out into a boob feast!

Second run on the board sheet Poor Catwoman, did she get her nine lives cut with the Movie!
Report Spam   Logged

I never gone near the 3 little pigs. Its all rummor and lies!
slangards
Variant

QC: 13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:50:15 am »

@BlackWolf2009 , oh, man. I remember watching that in high school. Had a huge crush on Talisa Soto, but even so, that Vampirella movie was completely awful. Brings to mind Tank Girl and Barb Wire, too.

I loved Jurrassic Park as much now as I did when it first came out. It's so different from the book, but still so entertaining. Also loved what they did with A Series of Unfortunate Events and was sad that it didn't make enough money to get a sequel.

I'm not sure if it's the material that was bad or the adaptation, but "I Am Number Four" is pretty bad. Except for the last 20 minutes with Number 6. Why wasn't the whole film about Number 6?
Report Spam   Logged

Witty remark goes here
Freak Studio
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 188

"The Avenging Blue Idiot"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »

Tank Girl is not good by any means, but it's better than Barbwire... At least you have Malcolm McDowell, a sexy scene with Lori Petty runaway.gif, one of the first roles of Naomi Watts, a cameo by Iggy Pop and Ice-T in a kangaroo costume...

I know our aussie friends can be offended by this, since the roo's are sacred over there or something like that...  dunno.gif But it's still pretty cool.
Report Spam   Logged
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 07:35:53 am »

I know our aussie friends can be offended by this, since the roo's are sacred over there or something like that.

Nah,Kangaroo is just another word for"moving target".................either that or"Dinner"these days.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:41:01 pm »

I know our aussie friends can be offended by this, since the roo's are sacred over there or something like that.

Nah,Kangaroo is just another word for"moving target".................either that or"Dinner"these days.

Yeah, fucking things are everywhere in my city. Every time the Government announces plans to do a cull, the hippies come out in droves and protest.

Mrs 'shake's Uncle has a property in Victoria and he applied for a license to shoot the 'roos on his land and the council said 'no'. He then told them to come out and feed them then as they were starving to death due to the years of drought around those parts.
Report Spam   Logged

flower_puppy18
Pegwarmer

QC: 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:06 am »

i had a kangaroo kebab yesterday fuck it was good
Report Spam   Logged

dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 06:35:12 pm »

I'd give that a go.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:51:54 pm »

I'd give that a go.

Seconded. Kangaroo is good eatin'
Report Spam   Logged

dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 06:06:05 am »

I actually haven't enjoyed it that much the times I've tried it, but I reckon with a kebab for the vehicle, it could work.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure