Action Figure Blues Forum
December 05, 2021, 02:29:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Best and worst book to movie translations

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best and worst book to movie translations  (Read 1222 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 06:15:33 am »

I actually haven't enjoyed it that much the times I've tried it, but I reckon with a kebab for the vehicle, it could work.

There's a place down on Darling Harbour that does a Kangaroo fillet with potato mash and it's damn fine. I can't recall the name of the place tho'
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 07:09:56 am »

I love kangaroo steaks! They need to be marinated to make them nice and tender - they turn out beautifully on the BBQ!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 06:14:20 am »

I'd give that a go.

Seconded. Kangaroo is good eatin'

Indeed,i've had Steaks before and a Kanga Stir Fry at a Mongolian Restaurant.Much nicer than Camel,Buffalo or Crocodile.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
AQ71
Chase Figure

QC: 32

King of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:37 pm »

I actually enjoyed Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

As far as movies which did not live up to the book, Sphere.  An all star cast couldn't even help this film--Sam Jackson,Queen Latifah, Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone etc.  The movie just did not capture the intensity of the book.  If you haven't read it, I would encourage you to give it a shot.

Michael Crichton wrote amazing books in my opinion, and the only one that I really enjoyed on film was the first Jurassic Park. Everything else just did not translate well to the big screen   
Report Spam   Logged

Freak Studio
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 188

"The Avenging Blue Idiot"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »

I don't entirely agree, The 13th Warrior, I think, is the best possible adaptation for Eaters of the Dead. It has some flaws but it's an enjoyable movie.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:29 am »

I don't entirely agree, The 13th Warrior, I think, is the best possible adaptation for Eaters of the Dead. It has some flaws but it's an enjoyable movie.

I loved this flick. But then I love most everything by John McTiernan (Rollerball not so much). Can't believe he went whacky and hasn't directed anything in ages.
Report Spam   Logged

slangards
Variant

QC: 13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:44 am »

@AQ71 I agree that Crichton wrote the best Sci Fi thriller novels to be had. NOt many of his stories could be translated well. I just finished "Prey" and I doubt that could be done right at all. Hollywood would probably give it to Michael Bay.

But I also agree with @Freak Studio. 13th Warrior was an awesome Viking movie, and a great adaptation.
Report Spam   Logged

Witty remark goes here
bubbashelby
Variant

QC: 15

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »

No discussion on books to film (and shitty adaptations therein) can be had without mentioning the name Stephen King.

Some of the best films in cinematic history have been based on King's writings (The Shining, Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption) as well as some of the worst (Lawnmower Man).

Some are faithful, some are not, sometimes it's the faithfulness to the source that makes it great or bad, and sometimes it's the lack of faithfulness that makes the movie so great or so terrible. But they all have that crazy prolific bastard from Maine to thank for their existence.

Anyways, my personal favorite is Christine, and it's pretty faithful to the book. And like I said, The Lawnmower Man was a good short story but an absolute craptacular movie. In fact, I'm betting I'm the only one here who has seen it (in the theatre, no less!)
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 01:21:46 am »

The tragedy that was Lawnmower Man was at least balanced by the adaptation of "Battleground" also from the Night Shift collection.
Report Spam   Logged

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 02:45:44 am »

Lawnmower Man gave us the day off 2 unit physics in high school.

We went to see it as a class for a school excursion to look at this new concept called "virtual reality."

100% true story.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 05:27:23 am »

Lawnmower Man gave us the day off 2 unit physics in high school.

We went to see it as a class for a school excursion to look at this new concept called "virtual reality."

100% true story.

I dunno that it's much of a trade off. Kinda like having to choose between a huge plate of boiled brussel sprouts and a kick in the nuts
Report Spam   Logged

slangards
Variant

QC: 13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 03:14:20 pm »

What's that Stephen King movie about the trucks that terrorize a gas station coffee shop? That was pretty awful. Personally I liked The Mist the best out of all the King stuff out there.

Speaking of horror authors, Clive Barker's stuff hasn't fared too well either. Books of Blood wasn't so great.
Report Spam   Logged

Witty remark goes here
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »

What's that Stephen King movie about the trucks that terrorize a gas station coffee shop? That was pretty awful. Personally I liked The Mist the best out of all the King stuff out there.

Speaking of horror authors, Clive Barker's stuff hasn't fared too well either. Books of Blood wasn't so great.

Not sure King could blame anyone for the dud that was "Maximum Overdrive" as he wrote and directed it himself. It's based on his short story "Trucks" also from his excellent "Nightshift" collection.

Barker is another in the King and James Herbert group whose work doesn't get adapted particularly well. Though I did like "Nightbreed"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure