Action Figure Blues Forum
July 21, 2018, 12:11:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Toys I grew up with presents: Visionaries

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toys I grew up with presents: Visionaries  (Read 3369 times)
bowspearer
The anti-Santa Claus
Chase Figure

QC: -25

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:16:29 am »

In 1987, Hasbor would launch yet another "transforming" toyline, but one which thought so far out of the box that it was out of the building. Long before Animorphs, long before Beast Wars or Beast Machines, there were......

THE VISIONARIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The planet is Prysmos in a distant galaxy. The time is far into the future where an age of science has led to 7000 years of prosperity. However the alignment of Prysmos' three suns results in radiation which disrupts all electrical energy on the planet, plunging the planet into a dark age and an age of magic once more. 16 years have passed since the alignment in this now medieval society and the mythical wizard Merklyn having awakened once more, summons brave knights from across the lands, offering them magical powers should they succeed in reaching his shrine at the top of Iron Mountain. Both the Heroic Leoric and the knights of New Valarak, and the evil Darkstorm and his minions of the Dark Domain- the two major powers in this new world, both seek out the magic promised by merklyn, along with others who also seek this power.

Of the dozens who attempt to reach the shrine, only 14 of them succeed. To those brave knights, he bestows the title of Visionaries, having had the vision necessary to pass his tests, and awards them magical animal totems which best represent their character. While on the toys it listed that the totems merely gave them the abilities of those animals; in the cartoon, they could actually magically turn into the animal their totem represented.

To the heroes, he grants Leoric the totem of the lion, Ectar the totem of the fox, Feryl the totem of the wolf, Arzon the totem of the eagle, Galladria (never made into a toy) the totem of the dolphin, Cryotek the totem of the polar bear and Witterquick the totem of the cheetah.

To the villains, he grants Darkstorm the totem of the mollusk (a mythical creature), Reekon the totem of the lizard, Mortred the totem of the scurrying beetle, Cravex the totem of the phylot (a muthical scavenger bird), Virulina (never made into a toy) the totem of the shark, Cindar the totem of the Gorilla and Lexor, the totem of the armordillo.

In addition to this, the 8 knights who also carried staffs, were granted special powers for their staffs too. Leoric gained the power of wisdom, Arzon gained the power of knowledge, Cryotek gained the power of might and Witterquick gained the power of light speed; while Darkstorm had the power of decay, Lexor had the power of fear, Cindarr gained the power of destruction and Lexor gained the power of invulnerability. Whereas the transformation into their animal totems could simply be willed, an incantation was required to activate each power staff.

Where things got interesting was for Ectar, Feryl, Reekon and Mortred was that while they had no power staffs of their own, they had the power to magically enchant vehicles. Ectar has the ability to give life to the Lancer Cycle with the power of protection and Feryl has the ability to give life to the Capture Chariot with the power of fire; while Mortred has the ability to give life to the Sky Claw with the power of flight and Reekon has the ability to give life to the Dagger Assault with the power of magical extraction when a victim was thrown into its magical dungeon. In addition all vehicles had fully functional energy weapons.

The toyline consisted of the 8 figures with staffs and the 4 vehicles. Unfortunately the series only lasted 13 episodes and the toys only lasted for a single year, however there were an entire second series of toys due to be released including 18 new figures (which included the Sun Imps, the ancient enemies of Merklyn who only appeared in the last episode of the cartoon), several vehicles and the Iron Mountain Playset.

Now for the good stuff- pics of the toys. First up, here's a complete collection of the toys which were released:

Next up we have both leaders- the heroic Leoric and the evil Darkstorm

Next up we have the muscle- the mighty Cryotek and the terrifying Cindarr

Then we have the fearless Wittwerquick and the cowering Lexor

Finally we have the air support- the daring Arzon and the opportunistic Cravex

Then we have the vehicles. For the Spectral Knights, as they would come to be called, there was the Lancer Cycle:

And the Capture Chariot:

While for the Darkling Lords, there was the Sky Claw:

And the Dagger Assault.

In terms of what was unreleased, here are pics of the unreleased Iron Mountain

As well as the Sun Imps and unreleased Series 2 toys.

And just for good measure, here are some toy commercials:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:13:09 am by bowspearer » Report Spam   Logged

Just think of me as the anti-Santa Claus- I show up several timed a year with toys I keep for myself.

Check out my collection here: http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,2646.msg47466.html#msg47466

And my for sale list here: http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,2646.0.htm

Social Buttons

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:46:03 am »

bowspearer - you're like Starman's Australian twin! I actually thought that when you first posted pics of your collection, bit this seals it!

Great stuff, wonderful pics and a great write-up. Well done, and keep it up!  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:06:43 am by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
bowspearer
The anti-Santa Claus
Chase Figure

QC: -25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:39 am »

Thanks, that really means alot. I don't tend to mention this much at all, but one thing that has made my collection more difficult and rewarding at the same time is the fact that I have had to rely almost entirely on eBay with buying my vintage stuff because there's not much in the way of vintage toy stores here of course and so local opportunities are really limited- especially as things like Visionaries and Captain Power never showed up where I was growing up.

Visionaries was something I never actually had as a kid. My first experience with it was an ex rental tape of this "funny little medieval looking cartoon" which I think I picked up when I was 15 and loved it. The frustrating bit was the toys didn't seem to be around (this was pre-eBay days) and I couldn't watch the rest of the eps. Then a couple of years ago, I found them on eBay but my priorities were elsewhere. Then last year I decided to bite the bullet and sourced a complete collection in 7 months sourcing it through doing things like using ebay.fr instead of ebay.com.

My collection is something that's all childhood interests that have either resurfaced or never went away and with the blood sweatr and tears it's taken to get it to where it is, it just adds to the pride I have with it that much more.
Report Spam   Logged

Just think of me as the anti-Santa Claus- I show up several timed a year with toys I keep for myself.

Check out my collection here: http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,2646.msg47466.html#msg47466

And my for sale list here: http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,2646.0.htm
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:29 am »

That makes the story even better.  Thumbs Up
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:50 am »

Also, I edited my earlier post to say "great pics" instead of "great pis". Because it sounds less creepy. And stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:09:36 am »

Never seen these before but what a great example of Toylines of the 80s.Outstanding stuff there i can see why you are so into it.So good to see you getting right into the swing of things here as well.
Great work!
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 157

There's a little black spot on the sun today...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:39:54 pm »

Bang-up job!!!!

Excellent work all the way!!

Glad to have you aboard and feel free to contribute anytime!!!!

Stars
Report Spam   Logged

It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet...
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 188

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:32:41 pm »

I remember the cartoon, but never saw any toys.
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 724

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

I completely missed this topic somehow? Great effort BS and nice to see someone giving Stars a hand to bring us all this great toy history. Like FB, I've never seen these before either. I guess it explains why they disappeared if most people our age don't recall seeing them in stores, etc. Well done again!
Report Spam   Logged

Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 157

There's a little black spot on the sun today...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

The only one I ever had, and STILL have is Arzon.

He was my stand-in Strider/Aragorn in 5th grade. Cheesy

Stars
Report Spam   Logged

It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet...
Onigaijan
Variant

QC: 13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:46:13 pm »

Hey, I just found this thread! Nice work Bowspear - even though they were short-lived, Visionaries was one of my favorite toylines as a kid, and those pictures bring back a lot of good memories. Seriously, look at how awesome they are! Toy + hologram = how can you lose? Any idea why the line failed? (I'd heard that it was due to the cost of manufacturing the holograms but not sure). Kudos again! Can't wait for the Centurions review! (another childhood favorite)
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 607

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:19 pm »

That Sky Claw is an amazing design.  I never had any of these guys, but I always thought they were cool.  I think the only place I ever saw them was Kay-Bee, that had them forever because they didn't sell.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Alekotan
Pegwarmer

QC: 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

Thanks for sharing!

I only had Arzon. I didn't even know what Visionaries was until I saw Arzon at a Woolworths back in 90. I remember thinking wow supersized GI Joe. Oh and I only paid 99 cents for him.

Awesome collection. Love how it's all MIP.
Report Spam   Logged
B-Lister
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 219

Base of Operations: Someplace south of Pittsburgh

Is that girl a boy?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:19 pm »

I have a few of these if anybody is interested. I much preferred Tonka's Super Naturals.

Report Spam   Logged

I built my fuckin' reputation on a horse graveyard.
B-Lister
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 219

Base of Operations: Someplace south of Pittsburgh

Is that girl a boy?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 10:18:39 pm »

Just checked and I have Leoric, Cryotek, and Witterquik.

All have their staff, none have the silver weapon, and only Leoric has his helmet.

First $20 (or best trade offer) takes the lot.

Considering what these go loose for on ebay, that's a damn good deal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:21:08 pm by B-Lister » Report Spam   Logged

I built my fuckin' reputation on a horse graveyard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure