Action Figure Blues Forum
October 23, 2021, 10:14:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Recommendations

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations  (Read 750 times)
Onigaijan
Variant

QC: 13

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:24 am »

So I'm about to finish Dance with Dragons, the 4th book in the Songs of Fire and Ice series, and it's put me on a fantasy kick!I'm thinking of maybe starting the Wheel of Time series, but i've heard mix things from people about it.  Any recommendations for another series that might be up my alley?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »

"Wheel of time" - Ugggghh. Should have been a trilogy.

David Gemmel's "Legend" is one of the best fantasy books ever! Once you've read about Druss the axeman in battle...all other heroes pale in comparison.
Report Spam   Logged

JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 136

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sumbitch.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »

I always like the Xanth books. A Spell for Chameleon, Castle Roogna, Centaur Isle, etc. They're a bit silly; but fun stuff.

Also for some sci-fi fantasy The Planet of Adventure series (City of the Chasch, Servants of the Wankh, the Dirdir; & The Pnume) was a really good read.
Report Spam   Logged

Trend is the Death of the Individual

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »

I'm not big into this genre, but my eldest and I are on the fourth book of the Skullduggery Pleasant series and greatly enjoying it. It's got a mystic arts sort of theme and a great balance of suspense, fighting and humour. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:59 pm »

Gonna work through the Songs of Fire and Ice slowly, reading each book after watching the corresponding season.  Mainly focusing on a Star Wars series of books.  Haven't read much fantasy, but I did like the Legends of Kern trilogy.  It's from the Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures line, although I don't know if there were any more books in that line after the Kern books.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like there were some more:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Blood+of+Wolves%3A+Legends+of+Kern
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
MikeS
Limited Edition

QC: 110

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »

I don't read as much as I used to so most of my recommendations would be from back a few years, but one series I've enjoyed that I'm still reading that I believe is wrapping up in the next year or so, is the Raymond Feist Krondor series.

I almost remember liking the first couple books of Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth, but haven't read much more than the first couple of volumes.

Guy Kavriel Kay has also written some good fantasy novels.

I loved those Xanth books from way back as well.
Report Spam   Logged

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »

The Fionavar Tapestry

The Summer Tree (1984)
The Wandering Fire (1986)
The Darkest Road (1986)
Report Spam   Logged
Onigaijan
Variant

QC: 13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:58:45 am »

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions guys! After a quick perusal on Amazon, I think the Xath series might be my next stop, but there's a few others from this list that I'll be checking out too! I definitely won't be wanting for books anytime in the near future applause.gif
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:24:12 am »

I always like the Xanth books. A Spell for Chameleon, Castle Roogna, Centaur Isle, etc. They're a bit silly; but fun stuff.

Also for some sci-fi fantasy The Planet of Adventure series (City of the Chasch, Servants of the Wankh, the Dirdir; & The Pnume) was a really good read.

Is that Piers Anthony? Good stuff. A little dated now, but some of the concepts were clever at the time.
Report Spam   Logged

guest66
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 03:48:07 am »

If you're up for repetition and bouts of possible depression there's the Thomas Covenant series from Stephen Donaldson. I recall combining this with playing John Lennon albums over and over and over in order to survive a heat wave one year during the summer break from uni.
Report Spam   Logged
JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 136

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sumbitch.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:01 am »

Is that Piers Anthony? Good stuff. A little dated now, but some of the concepts were clever at the time.

Yep. Piers Anthony. How exactly were the concepts clever at the time, but not now? And what makes a book dated? Just curious as I don't understand the logic. To me if something was clever then it should still be clever now.
Report Spam   Logged

Trend is the Death of the Individual

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:15 am »

I don't read as much as I used to so most of my recommendations would be from back a few years, but one series I've enjoyed that I'm still reading that I believe is wrapping up in the next year or so, is the Raymond Feist Krondor series.

You've mentioned my absolute passion right there.Brilliant series and yes there's only one more to go.Although he's also planning to go back and complete his Krondor series,there's supposed to be 5 Books in that series and he's only released 3.

Still Oni,fantastic series,gripping stories that you can't put down,amazing character development and with close to 30 Books total it'll keep you going for a long time.I would recommend that you go from the very start though[Magician]to really get to know the characters and their successive bloodlines.
Good reference here for the Books:

http://www.crydee.com/

For something a bit different Terry Brooks"The Word and the Void"Trilogy followed by"The Genesis of Shannara"Trilogy is also good reading.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:17:37 am by FB » Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Marv-El
I used to read comics.
Variant

QC: 45

Liberty and Justice for All

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 11:40:38 am »

Yeah, the thread's dead, but so what? I'll add a vote for Piers Anthony's Xanth series (before he got creepy) and a bigger vote for his SF--Bio of a Space Tyrant, Orn/Omnivore/Ox, the Cluster series--there's a lot of good stuff. He also did an Apprentice Adept series that mixed SF and fantasy successfully. A different kind of fantasy is Incarnations of Immortality. Very worthwhile.

My favorite author across the board is John Varley. Solid SF, often compared to Heinlein  Undecided I like Heinlein too and Varley acknowledges his importance, but I don't see too much comparison. Other favorite authors: Arthur Clarke, Neil Gaiman, Robert Aspirin, Stephen King, Greg Iles.
Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

John from the AFB Podcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »

For sci fi, I'd recommend the Alan Dean Foster's "Icerigger" trilogy. Hoth like planet with cats that developed claw skates. A group of humans crash lands and helps them wage a war and build a big ass sail boat with ice skates.  I revisit it every once and a while.

(I'm a Xanth fan as well.)
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »

I've never been a Heinlein fan. I understand the political significance of Starship Troopers, but the book was slow and boring for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure