Action Figure Blues Forum
August 24, 2019, 05:00:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Movie Tie-in Toys" - The AFB Podcast E12 discussion topic

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Movie Tie-in Toys" - The AFB Podcast E12 discussion topic  (Read 467 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 731

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:12:50 am »

What movie tie-in toys are among your favourites and why?

Have you seen a movie and enjoyed it enough that you then sought out the toys?

What about toys you liked enough that it encouraged you to see the film?

Were you compelled to find out more about the characters?
Report Spam   Logged

Westy
AFB Podcast's Adam
Administrator
The Complete Monger

QC: 116

AFB Sewer Tour Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:56:28 am »

I think the Iron Man 2 3.75" scale figures were excellent because we got all the historically relevant suits of armour via the comics line, along with all the movie suits, and a bunch of "concept" suits that were quite neat as well.

I did like the Iron Man (original film) 6" line too, as that was around the time I really got into collecting.

Can't say I've ever bought a toy and then decided to see the movie because of it. I normally go find toys from a movie or series I really enjoyed. That said if there was ever a Monsterpocalypse movie or TV series, I'd probably be all over it (though that likely has as much to do with my love of the Japanese Kaiju genre of movies (Godzilla and Gamera as key examples).
Report Spam   Logged

westy.gif
"There ya go Westy,even named it after you." - FB

Hey,look at your Point count Westy.It's the magic number! westy.gif - FB on West accumulating 69 points.
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:04 am »

Obviously, Star Wars is a big thing for me. I got hooked with the original 12 so the modern ones sucked me in.

I really enjoyed the Indiana Jones line, I really wish it hadn't went a bit further. I have most of the vintage figures, but it was really great to see them expand the line a bit. I just wish they hadn't done those last 4 as sdcc exclusives. The final waves were finally starting to hit the collector quality mark.

Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. I hadn't picked up the figures until I saw the film.

I'd have to say Transformers. Even though I don't collect them, I was really curious to see how they were going to bring that to the screen.

There's a number of Star Wars figures I've went to Wookiepedia to look up. I think a good part of that is depth of the line, there's just so many obscure characters in it.

A lot of times when I review a figure I'll look stuff up as well, especially if I'm only marginally familiar. I also look up previous version in the case of something like GI Joe.

I don't collect a lot of them, but I will frequently look up Marvel characters to see their comic origins as well. For example, I picked up Marvel Essential Captain America Volume 1 to get more familiar with the character when the film came out.

(I may or may not have looked up Shang Chi recently, as well.)
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Errex
Limited Edition

QC: 141

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:49 am »

Well, Hasbro star Wars are an obvious one for me too. Other than that, I'd say the Indiana Jones is also a favorite, and what little Mezco did for the second Hellboy movie. The reason is harder to explain. From the star Wars line I like the variety and the quality, for the most part, although there have been exceptions. The Indiana Jones line appealed to me because I really liked the first three films and I always wanted figures from those, even though the paint quality was not as good as I had expected. The Mezco Hellboy line had amazing detail and good articulation.

Yup. Happened to me with Avatar and TRON Legacy. I still think the toys are fairly decent, even though the movies themselves have lost some of it's shine for me.

Sometimes the opposite is also true, if the toys suck, I may be predisposed to not go see a movie in theaters.

Guilty as charged. The last Wolverine movie is the first to come to mind, although there have been others, like the Prince Caspian movie.

Not necessarily. Most of the time I'm just interested in how good is the toy rather than what the character does in the movie.

Report Spam   Logged

Sit vis vobiscum
bubbashelby
Variant

QC: 15

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »

I think another good question is: What toys looked awesome/you bought and were then embarrassed by after seeing the crappy movie?

I really wanted to love the Small Soldiers toys, but after seeing the movie I was glad to have passed on them!
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:16:14 pm »

Some really good choices there guys.

That's a good question Bubba, the one that comes to mind for me is Independence Day. I was so pumped for that film, then saw it and thought it was complete rubbish so didn't even look at the toys again. Another that comes to mind is "Attack of the Giant Lizard Monster" with Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno that was a remake of a Japanese license. I can't even call it by it's proper title because it's so awful it doesn't deserve it. I was ready to buy all the toys, but after the screening....once the sobbing stopped I refused to buy any of the toys.

I've been very happy with the 7" Hellboy figures for both movies. I love the character and to see them so nicely done was rewarding.
Report Spam   Logged

Errex
Limited Edition

QC: 141

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »

I think another good question is: What toys looked awesome/you bought and were then embarrassed by after seeing the crappy movie?

I really wanted to love the Small Soldiers toys, but after seeing the movie I was glad to have passed on them!

Uh, I did get a 12" Archer from that line... Embarrassed

Report Spam   Logged

Sit vis vobiscum
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:34:42 pm »

Shaun of the Dead toys! Love the smaller action figures. They have to be my non-superhero faves.

What about bizarre tie-in toys? I mean, there were Black Hole action figures.....  Thumbs Down
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »

Shaun of the Dead toys! Love the smaller action figures. They have to be my non-superhero faves.

What about bizarre tie-in toys? I mean, there were Black Hole action figures.....  Thumbs Down

Well it was a sci-fi film that came out soon after Star Wars. I think people realised that merchandising a film could make money.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46:22 am »

That's easy,i purchased the entire ID4 Action Figure Release and sundry items.I literally got every single thing that was released including the Fighters,Playsets etc.Then i saw the film and sold off the lot.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:54:14 am »

Well it was a sci-fi film that came out soon after Star Wars. I think people realised that merchandising a film could make money.

By making an Enrest Borgnine action figure?  cuckoo.gif

I would have been 8 when I saw that movie and at some point I completely freaked out and my Dad had to take me home.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »

By making an Enrest Borgnine action figure?  cuckoo.gif

I would have been 8 when I saw that movie and at some point I completely freaked out and my Dad had to take me home.  Sad

An early customiser could have modified it to have a McHale's Navy figure  Cheesy

That's easy,i purchased the entire ID4 Action Figure Release and sundry items.I literally got every single thing that was released including the Fighters,Playsets etc.Then i saw the film and sold off the lot.

Nice! Dodged that bullet barely.

I was really disappointed in all the "Narnia" toys. I liked the first film but just couldn't lay down the cash for any of the figures despite totally digging Minotaurs.
Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:28 pm »

You guys just made me think of the Men in Black figures.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:44 am »

Sorry about that Mate.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:37 am »

Funny you should mention - I saw these coming out for the new movie and thought "at last, proper MiB figures!"

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=54534
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure