Action Figure Blues Forum
October 21, 2019, 03:48:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"What's Sinking the Matty Subs?" The AFB E24 Discussion Topic

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "What's Sinking the Matty Subs?" The AFB E24 Discussion Topic  (Read 562 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:02:52 am »

On the next episode of the AFB Podcast, we're asking "What's Sinking the Matty Subs?" and looking in depth at Mattycollector's Subscription Programs and the lack of take-up of the 2013 subs that has seen the Four Horsemen themselves make a public plea for the survival of the MOTUC line.

What is keeping collectors away? What influenced your decisions to buy / not buy subs for 2013? What does Mattel need to do better to turn things around?

As always we look forward to your thoughts and will incorporate what we can into the show!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Titansfan
Online Exclusive

QC: 178

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:19:29 am »

I think it's a combination of things.  There's been a huge lack of excitement as far as the dc product has gone.  We've gone so long without getting much that people have gotten used to it.  Also every figure they showed for 2013 is a repeat that dc direct has already done and in most cases done better.  As far as the MOTUC sub I think a lot of multiple sub buyers are finally sick of dealing with the resale factor and are only in for one sub this time.
Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

John from the AFB Podcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:11 am »

I don't collect any Matty lines. And everything I've heard has not encouraged me to want to join their subs.

For me, I just struggle with the idea of spending a ton of money on an entire site unseen line.

Also, their mold reuse is so high, and for me that cheapens the value of what you would get. It's hard in my mind to justify the cost.

I also struggle with how a company like NECA can produce a wide variety of unique figures at a lower price point. You would think Mattel being bigger could leverage that.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Errex
Limited Edition

QC: 141

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:59 am »

Well, residing outside the US is a big hurdle for me to get into any sort of subscription scheme. But, for the sake of argument, let's say I could receive my subscription figures safely and timely where I live.

I would still not want to get involved in a subscription because I like to see the stuff I'm buying personally, but also I only purchase what I like, so I'd really resent having to put up with characters I don't have an interest in just because they are part of that year's assortment.

Besides, I've been nursing a grudge against Mattel for several years now, because of their inability to get product at retail at reasonable prices. People in the US often complain about having to pay $15.00 USD for a figure, so imagine what it's like to receive partial waves of DCUC at prices well above $40.00 USD, if they ever show up at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Sit vis vobiscum
NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »

I thought that I would throw in my own ramblings, I will preface this by saying that I did buy a MOTUC sub.

The problems with Mattel subs not selling this year are,

1. No promotion, apart from us nerds who knows about the subs? Has there ever been any external promotion? My friends would have no idea that MOTU is back.
2. Digital f*&^ing river, over billing on clients credit cards....the first time that happened to anybody's CC something should have been done. Nearly 4 years later Scott brings out the old "we are working hard with digital river to blah,blah fricketty blah" NOTHING has been done, head over to He-man.org and read post after post of board members being screwed over.
3. Quality control, at $25 per figure I never want to see a reversed forearm, shoulder or crack on any figure.
4. International customers and postage, unless you are in a group order the costs are very prohibitive.
5. Customer selection, Randor in a smoking jacket? WTF. I understand that if they release big hitters right away the interest will drop, but they have access to Filmation with probably close to a hundred different characters and we get the Fighting Foe men and Randor in that fucking jacket!
6. Have characters available all year round, if I read correctly that day of sale items are going to very minimal how do you attract more customers? What will the site be used for if the subs don't go through?
7. It would appear that re-sellers like BBTS are pulling the pin, head over to their site and you could basically start your collection from the DCUC and MOTUC stock that is still available.
8. Toyguru, don't say another word....shoosh....please. You do not have the skills to release video clips to us, you look very nervous...sit forward, shoulders square and speak, don't whine, speak!
9. All that shimmers in this world is sure to fade away, MOTUC is not shiny and new anymore. Problems should have been addressed a loooong time ago, if you received the level of customer service in your daily life (supermarket, petrol station whatever) that we have received from mattel you would never go back. Unfortunately they are the only game in town at the moment.
10. That huge smarmy fricken head, I want to bite it!    
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »

After not buying the DC sub last year, I am leaning towards getting the 2013, but that balance can easily tip the other way.  I like the 2nd half of the 2012 lineup and most of the announced 2013 figures, so this is the best I've felt about Matty since the kick in the nuts that was last year's SDCC announcement.  I've still got many (or most) of the same concerns that everyone else has, so I could easily change my mind about getting the sub (waiting until payday on the 1st before I buy), so another misstep my Matty or ToyGuru could keep me away.  The re-use, rising prices, threats and admonishments from Mattel, spotty QC, etc. all among the things that have people keeping their distance. 

Wasn't all that long ago that Mattel had a stranglehold on my wallet, with MOTUC, DCUC, the WWE Elite and Legends line, a promising Ghostbusters line.  They've fucked up the GBs, Legends is all but dead, I've got most of the current WWE roster in Elite form, so there's fewer figures I want in that line, MOTUC is down to about 2 or 3 characters left that I want (and 2 of them have already been shown), and DC 6" is on life support.   Sad
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 731

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:06 am »

10. That huge smarmy fricken head, I want to bite it!    

Cheesy That was fucking laugh out loud funny. Point!

Many of my DCUC issues were more about releasing Sinestro Batman and Black Gymnastic Suit Superman. I understand the retail thing, but it's a slot wasted for me.

If I'd just finished reading "The Secret" (I haven't) I'd be focusing on thanking Matty for the kick ass Darkseid and Kilowog figures rather than the rainblow wave.

For me, the 2013 sub is a given. Finishing the Doom Patrol and Metal Men = Awesome. Getting Ralph = Finally. My disdain comes from the idea of one of only 12 slots going to a lantern when it could have gone to Comm Gordon or even KGBeast.
Report Spam   Logged

The_Donster
Online Exclusive

QC: 51

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:00:10 pm »

Love the figures(except the remaining whateverthefuckblueandorangelantern Roll Eyes), so I'm in. Even though I have misgivings when it comes to dealing with Digital River. That and Matty continuing with the same business map that didn't work last year are the frustrations. Why isn't there a actual live meter showing the stats and why aren't we seeing the entire line up or more of the line up. I also don't understand starting another team with Uncle Sam in the sub. Don't get me wrong, love him and The Freedom Fighters, but it doesn't make much sense to start a team in a sub that might not go through. Matty is playing it too close to the cuff and still expecting members to take a leap of faith for a 2nd year with the DCU, 3 with MOTUC and their fledgling Watchmen line that doesn't have much leg to it giving what they've show. I'm sorry if I'm all over the place, I'll try and get my thoughts together and come back to this. I think NO pretty much hit a lot of my hot buttons though. This groveling needs to stop.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

I think you're right Don. The difficulty now is we get 12 figures a year and the characters we really want will come at a trickle-feed among rainblow figures.
Report Spam   Logged

Polarboy
Online Exclusive

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:47:58 am »

A lot of the things they are saying don't make a lot of sense to me. My understanding is that the new monthly masters figures are still selling out in the first couple of hours for popular figures and about 2 days has been the absolute worst selling, yet they are crapping on about not wanting excess stock about so not offering day of sale on most figures. Now this may very well be an empty buy a subscription or else threat but you know fuck that.
 I think they might do better if they diversified the masters subscription a bit. Being a big girly poof I'm only interested in the Princess of power figures so if there was a POP subscription even if it was only four figures over the year I would totally get it. So have a Pop sub a new adventures sub (again 4 figures) maybe a beasts and vehicles sub (three oversized figs) a motu proper sub (maybe 8 figs) and maybe have 2 boxsets a year as pre orders. hell if you sign up for all the subs you get a free figure (he-man variant)

Speaking of pre orders if they let me cherry pick the 3 or so figures I want this year they could have my money now and send the figures on release.

Also the statement that if international orders go missing then your welcome to fuck yourself doesn't have me falling over myself to sign up.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:24 am »

Speaking of pre orders if they let me cherry pick the 3 or so figures I want this year they could have my money now and send the figures on release.

Interesting point. I'd be cool with that.
Report Spam   Logged

Titansfan
Online Exclusive

QC: 178

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 05:58:09 pm »

Maybe I'm just jaded but there's no way in hell I believe that DCIE went up over 50% in one weekend.  I also don't believe that MOTUC was ever ever ever in danger.  I'm convinced this was all a ploy to get the nervous fans to buy more than one sub.  Am I the only one that thinks Matty's full of it.
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »

I've worked on a website with a fund-raising gauge, and it costs a lot less to develop one that is manually updated than one that integrates with other systems, e.g. whatever they are using to track subscriptions.

In the grand scheme of things, I really don't think Matty Collector has a lot of money to polish all the bells and whistles. It's too niche.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »

I think we learned from the last time that the thermometer is pretty meaningless. I'm not surprised that these are going ahead but I don't think the concerns raised we all a rouse - I think the MOTU subs definitely took a hit this year.

I also think that this is the last year we'll see monthly subs. Just a feeling.
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
The_Donster
Online Exclusive

QC: 51

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »

I think so too Scotty. I'm really hoping so, clearly the business model doesn't work.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure