Action Figure Blues Forum
October 19, 2017, 04:42:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

bigraj's Crappy Customz - Simple Improvements page 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bigraj's Crappy Customz - Simple Improvements page 15  (Read 5335 times)
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 184

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:30:15 pm »

I've seen some pretty nice customs here.  You guys have some pretty good talent.  Only been trying to do this stuff for about a year.  Figured I'd start posting my subpar work here.  The latest project is another GL custom, Hannu.  

First time I've tried to sculpt anything.  Pretty sure the ring is gonna suck.  The Thing I managed to track down didn't have a right handed fist, so I heated it up and tried to Krazy Glue it into more of a fist shape.  Didn't go so well, but it's better than it was.

My other stuff can be found here, and I'll post new stuff here, too, as I go.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:19:34 am by bigraj » Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501

Social Buttons

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 712

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:54 am »

Hey Raj, nuthin' to be ashamed of there. Looks great! Good work on the application of the black. It's a colour that can be hard to do in large areas without obvious brush strokes. Is the ring made from 'Green Stuff'? (by Kneadatite). I've only just started using it for my first custom fig but I've used it for years on Warhammer customs. It's good stuff and you can cut it so that you're using more blue or yellow in the mix. More blue makes it more difficult to use but it sets like stone. More yellow makes it very malleable and easy to use but takes longer to set.
Report Spam   Logged

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:42:08 am »

I had a look through your custom thread on the comic crypt. i think you being modest, you really have done some nice work which you should show on here. That Vision is perfect!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 335

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:03:34 am »

First off mate, anything you turn out is going to be better than what I could do, so no one should be calling their stuff crappy around me!!

Secondly, that fig looks off to a good start - looking forward to the updates!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:31:02 am »

First of all Raj stop ragging on yourself,you have talent,dedication and above all you obviously enjoy it and i'm glad you're sharing with us here.
First off this guy is good,as FMS said getting a colour smooth is a tricky objective to achieve and you got it smooth as.The Ring work well and closing a big,chunky fist like that as you did is clever and it works so you achieved it all well.
Vision,Stark,Cage,Absorbing Man,Forge and all the others whetehr touch-ups or major works you have a good eye and talent for this.Special mention for me is Procanon Kaa,that is a very sweet figure!

Share as much as you want here,the guys will love it all i assure you.I certainly do!
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:07 am »

...forgot to ask where the 1/12th scale scenery came from? If I didn't know any better I'd say it was the library from Sunnydale High School  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:23:50 am »

...forgot to ask where the 1/12th scale scenery came from? If I didn't know any better I'd say it was the library from Sunnydale High School  Smiley

I know this one,it's the Library Set from the Buffy figure line.Always wanted one myself for a Wayne Manor type set up but never had any luck.Really great set!
Report Spam   Logged

bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:47:02 am »

Yeah, it's the Buffy Library.  I also picked up a few things from Hobby Lobby, like the clock and some other props.  And yes, FMS, that is Green Stuff.  Finally decided to get some sculpting material recently.  Thanks for the compliments, guys.  It's been a lot of fun, and I've learned a lot from some great customizers.  Still mainly sticking to repaints/head swaps, but will see how the sculpting goes.  Just sometimes takes a while to come up with an idea for a new project.  I did see a Clock King made from a Riddler on Fwoosh that I think I'll be stealing borrowing, using for my inspiration. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:54 am »

Best suggestion i can give you with sculpting is just like anything else.Play around with it,try making shapes and experiment with textures.Buy or make some Tools,absolutely anything can be used as a tool there's no rules at all.You definitely have talent so just go with it and enjoy yourself.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:04:02 am »

If you have trouble with the green stuff sticking to your fingers or tools, then you need a tiny amount of oil on your fingers/tools. If you don't have oily skin (ewww!) then what I do is get a cloth and spray the barest amount of canola oil over the cloth. Then every now and then run your fingers or tools over it.
Report Spam   Logged

bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »

I'll have to keep that in mind.  I used a bit of water and that seemed to help.  Wouldn't last long, of course, but it was fine for such a small job.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:15:57 am »

Listen to FMS Raj,he knows all about handling sticky things. Grin

Don't know what Green stuff handles like but with the stuff i use i tend to mix it up and leave it for about 10 minutes before working with it.Just gets a little less tacky to handle.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:33:37 am »

Listen to FMS Raj,he knows all about handling sticky things. Grin

Don't know what Green stuff handles like but with the stuff i use i tend to mix it up and leave it for about 10 minutes before working with it.Just gets a little less tacky to handle.

Hey!  Angry I resemble that remark!

Green stuff comes in a few formats. I use the 'ribbon' type that is half blue and half yellow. You couldn't leave Green Stuff for ten minutes or you'd find it had already started to cure and would already be less malleable. If you're gonna mix some up and use it over a longer than normal period then add more yellow to the mix.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:05:57 am »

How long do you get before it cures or at least becomes unworkable?I usually get about a 2 hour window with the Magic Sculpt.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:44 am »

How long do you get before it cures or at least becomes unworkable?I usually get about a 2 hour window with the Magic Sculpt.

wellllll.....usually it starts to get 'tough' after about half an hour. That's why I do it in little lots. It does set rock hard though, but is very easy to sand, especially with the rotary tool (you say 'Dremel' and I say Ryobi 'Supertool'). Maybe we need a topic called 'Tools and materials'?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure