Action Figure Blues Forum
August 11, 2020, 05:04:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Overlooked / Overexposed Characters - The AFB Podcast E28 Discussion Topic

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overlooked / Overexposed Characters - The AFB Podcast E28 Discussion Topic  (Read 96 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:23:03 pm »

Our discussion for E28 is "Overlooked / Overexposed". We're thinking about the characters that are under or over represented in the lines you collect.

Specifically:

What characters never seem to get a fair shot at being represented in toy lines?
What characters get way too much exposure?
Which character could you die happily without ever seeing on the pegs again?

While there's room for some wish list stuff here, try to think about characters that have a reasonable profile / popularity yet never seem to make the cut for collectibles.

Happy discussing!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:26:07 am »

I'm very surprised that a movie like Thor comes out and there was no 6" line. Beyond Thor and Loki has there ever been Asgardian love?

Same goes for the Inhumans. We've had a Black Bolt and that's it.
Eternals?
Titans/Deviants?
Squadron Supreme?

I think there's a lot of characters that would appeal to both collectors and casual buyers alike such as Silver Samurai or Sgt Rock that just require too much tooling to be viable.

I'm honestly done with Batman. If you can't find a Batman figure that you like from the 639 that have been made then you're weird.

I'm not sure I ever need another Wolverine or Iron Man either.
Report Spam   Logged

Freak Studio
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 188

"The Avenging Blue Idiot"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:37 am »

I love obscure characters.

I think the world needs more Creeper figures.

A Rocket Red that doesn't suck.

A X-Statix box-set with Doop pack-in figure.

Outsiders characters, we need Katana, a better Geo-Force (I think there was a DCD one), Halo, etc.

We need more Doom Patrol characters like Karma or Tempest or Celsius. But especially Crazy Jane with swapable heads/hands.

I'd kill for a Dirk Anger, agent of HATE action figure.

A Music Meister action figure and other obscure Bat-villains. I'd also buy a Bulleteer, and a Klarion.

Oh, and an Ultra the multi alien.

But I don't think we need more Spider-men, Batmen, Supermen, Iron men.

And I have developed a complete hate for Wolverine. I'm just sick and tired of him.
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

Rick Jones.  Key sidekick for Hulk and Captain America, and a host for Captain Marvel.  Pretty much single-handedly ended the Kree-Skrull War.  Hasn't done too much since Peter David's runs on Incredible Hulk and Captain Marvel, but he's always been a great character that deserves a spot in the Marvel Legends line.

Definitely would love to see some obscure Bat and Flash rogues get some 6" love. 

But I don't think we need more Spider-men, Batmen, Supermen, Iron men.

And I have developed a complete hate for Wolverine. I'm just sick and tired of him.

Yes.  Well, maybe not the Wolvie hate, although it has been borderline at times.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Errex
Limited Edition

QC: 141

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:29:28 pm »

In the Marvel Universe line, I'd say that Cyclops is one character that is ovelooked way too much. I mean, we've seen like two or three costumes so far, of which only the last one had any significant new tooling while the other were repaints. an in the same line, Iron man, Wolverine and Spiderman are is way too overexposed.

As far as Hasbro SW goes, I'd say it is a tie between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker as the two more overexposed characters, although, Luke at least has more costume changes. In contrast, everyone else never seems to get enough attention, including the other core characters.
Report Spam   Logged

Sit vis vobiscum
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:42:03 pm »

Outside of the superhero realm, I've definitely seen way too many Rey Mysterio, John Cena, and Randy Orton figures from Mattel's WWE lines.  I know they sell (generally speaking, although Orton tends to pegwarm here) very well, but it can be hard to find something I'm looking for with all the MysCenTons in my way. 
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth