Action Figure Blues Forum
June 19, 2018, 01:17:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

DC Mattel Discussion thread

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Mattel Discussion thread  (Read 30204 times)
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 384

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: February 19, 2018, 12:04:07 pm »

In one way, I'm kind of irritated by the big lack of never-been-dones.  At this point, that's mostly what I'm after.  But at the same time, it's almost a relief.  I still have lots of 6" LEGENDS and Shrinky Dinks on my want list.  There's still almost a dozen older DC figures I want.

It's hard not to lose hope for DC figures.  Hasbro isn't perfect, but there's always a nice, thick strand of hope to hold onto.  With DCC, not so much.  I know I have peculiar tastes, but after a few YEARS of seeing NOTHING I want, how hopeful can I be?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:17:10 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 183

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »

I do not hold my breath for that to happen.  I'm not gonna Hyperion myself out of a pastime I still enjoy.     

Oh, I'm close to it. It's not the toy collecting I enjoy -- it's the collecting of characters or in some cases, character designs I enjoy (as would be the case with Morbius). Modern characters and designs are either too bland or too ephemeral for me to give a shit.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1145

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 19, 2018, 02:23:06 pm »

Not me.  If Mattel ever makes Aqualad, I’m fine with that.  If they make Tempest, that’s good for me too.  A then/now two-pack would be perfection.

And that attitude applies to dozens, if not hundreds of characters.  Shining Knight just popped into my head for whatever reason.  SSoV or 7S version.  I’m fine either way.  Ad infinitum.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:42 pm »

I truly wish somebody would make THEN and NOW 2-packs.  But where would they draw the line?  At this point, the 90s version of a character could be considered 'old'. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:21:06 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 19, 2018, 04:01:53 pm »

Two packs are a wonderful, terrible idea.  Where do you draw the line indeed? 

For some characters, it's easy.  As I said above, Shining Knight is a perfect example.  Two different Knights.  Easy.  So what about one of my personal favorites...Jay Garrick.  Do you pair him with Barry?  He was Barry's idol.  Do you pair him with Wally?  He was Wally's mentor.  Do you pair him with Bart?  He was Bart's surrogate parent.  Or do you pair him with New 52 Earth-2 Jay Garrick?  His actual counterpart. 

Vigilante is another.  Greg Saunders and Adrian Chase?  Or Adrian Chase and one of his more violent progeny?  There are at least four of them after Chase.

See what I mean?

And that barely scratches the surface of DC's hundreds of Legacy characters.       
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:05:50 pm by Gardner Grayle » Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 19, 2018, 04:22:52 pm »

You nailed it, GARD.  And we all know that if there's a way to screw it up, whoever is doing them will do it!

AQUALAD and TEMPEST would be great.  Your SHINING KNIGHT idea is perfect.  But again, they'd find a way to screw it up so that we wouldn't want either figure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:29:28 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 19, 2018, 06:45:53 pm »

My "just throwing it out there" theory as to why no wave was shown.  Presuming Julius has nothing to show later in the week, it's possible that Mattel wants to stick to one wave of Multiverse per quarter.  Q1 is the Super Friends repaints and the Wonder Women.  Shipping now.  Q2 will be the Clayface wave.  Q3 will be the Luthor wave currently scheduled to ship in August by the various online retailers.  Show the exclusives and the media figures as fillers.  Show the Q4 wave at SDCC along with the Aquaman stuff.  Any Aquaman movie figures should ship somewhere between August and October.  Set up the final Multiverse wave for the holidays.

Then we should get a tease of the Shazam movie figures in October at NYCC.  Shazam is scheduled to open in April of 2019. 

I'm still holding out (a little) hope for Julius before close of business Fri.  6:00 PM PST.     
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 724

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 19, 2018, 10:26:58 pm »

I do not hold my breath for that to happen.  I'm not gonna Hyperion myself out of a pastime I still enjoy.     

This still smarts a bit for me. I talked to Jeremy quite a bit outside of forums via Facebook and I was continually frustrated by his rock solid determination to collect a specific brand of figures, from a specific company, of a specific universe, in a specific scale from a specific time period. When you limit yourself in your collecting like this the light at the end of the tunnel must be constantly getting closer.

Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 19, 2018, 10:46:27 pm »

But Iím almost him with the exception of time period. 

I am, however, still having fun with it.  Frustration comes and goes when I find something cool. 

For me to collect any other lines would be a personal waste of time, money, and space.  None of which I have much to spare.  I think Iím determined in the other direction.  I think the only way Mattel can get rid of me is to discontinue the 6Ē DC line altogether.  At least the comic accurate portion of it.  Iím not looking for a jump off.
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 77

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:15 pm »

I'm still excited for Marvel Legends as that continues to roll ahead at full steam.As much as it pleases me to see figures like Vixen and The Ray coming,it's hard to have that same anticipation when the waves are unpredictable and far less incoming then what hasbro is doing.
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:08 pm »

I keep checking AFI for a surprise.   Sad  Nothin' yet. 

So...2018:

DKR Wonder Woman:  Love this figure.  Reminds me of a MotUC female.  She'd Ronda Rousey of Mattel's female figures.

Wonder Girl:  Love this figure, but just too big.  I like the C&C Dr. Psycho. 

SF Superman:  still too blue and I hate fabric capes.

SF Aquaman:  Terrible looking painted on scales.

Kilmer/Batman.  Not my cup o' tea, but I'm sure it's selling well. 

Shipp/Flash:  Again, not for me, but a popular choice. 

Clayface wave:  All in except for CW Martian Manhunter.   

Luthor Wave:  In for the whole wave other than the clear Ray.  What a waste. 

Die cast Injustice Batman/Superman @ GameStop.  Hard pass.

DeVito/ Penguin:  Another pass. 

In for Kid Flash, Beast Boy, Spoiler, Harley, and Bizarro.

I was really hoping for Mattel to show us something more.  Huh?   
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 724

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 21, 2018, 01:00:24 am »

I still need King Shark. I want zero figures in the wave.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:48 am »

He is awesome.  Wave was horrific. 

Further analysis of my above post. 

28 total figures so far for 2018.  Including C&C's.

20 of those are comic accurate.  One is a variant (Ray).

15 of those are Rebirth designs.  Superman is already superfluous as we know his costume changes in two months.

As far as the "never dones", it's a mixed bag: 

DKR Wonder Woman has never been done although there are lots of other WW figures out there from any number of companies.

Dr. Psycho...Never done.

Jessica Cruz from the Clayface wave...Never done.

Ray from the Luthor wave...Never done.

Kid Flash/Wally II.  Several Kid Flashes have been made.  Just not of Wally II.  So I count him as...Never done. 

Spoiler.  We got a Stephanie Brown Batgirl a while ago.  Very expensive figure now.  North of $100.00.  Spoiler, however, is a Never Done.   

Not a lot, but not nothing either.     
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 21, 2018, 09:07:25 am »

And of the 20 comic accurate figures, 15 are Rebirth.  2 are Multiverse.  So the remaining 3, Wonder Girl, Dr. Psycho, and 80’s Bizarro are “classic”.  And only Dr. Psycho is pre-Crisis.

There were no “Event Figures” shown by Mattel.  Nothing from Metal or Doomsday Clock.

Infer what you will about the future.  YMMV.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: February 22, 2018, 05:13:27 pm »

The more I look at it, the more I like that BRAINIAC.  On top of that, I pretty much never see either the DCD or DCUC SA BRAINY at a reasonable price on eBay.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure