Action Figure Blues Forum
June 19, 2019, 04:31:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

DC Mattel Discussion thread

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Mattel Discussion thread  (Read 37756 times)
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:07 pm »

This is certainly unexpected, but for some reason, I feel pretty positive.
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: February 12, 2019, 07:59:43 pm »

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02/12/todd-mcfarlane-teases-the-future-of-dc-toys-and-collectibles
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 670

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: February 12, 2019, 10:10:52 pm »

That was very optimistic actually.  The most interesting thing by far is confirmation that we're now combining DCUC and DCC into one stream.
Report Spam   Logged
darthfoley
Variant

QC: 38

Burned.

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: February 13, 2019, 06:34:51 am »

I'll try to be optimistic, but the only McFarlane figure I own that I can think of is an 11 from Stranger Things and it's a piece of junk.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: February 13, 2019, 07:13:01 am »

I’m trying to be optimistic too.  Todd is very capable of doing this.  But a lot can go sideways.  Assuming an acceptable degree of QC, and a style and scale that fits with what I’ve already got, the key to this for me is going to be character selection.  With a decent amount of “never been done” characters.

My main concern with this is a three year contract.  Not much time to even team build much less world build, or Universe build.  With a three year clock, Todd will go with heavy hitters and fan favorites hoping for an early extension/renewal.  Then we may get some deep dives into the DCU.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:19 am »

The Fortnite figures are $25 at Target so I think it's reasonable to expect he'll do something similar with bonus accessories to justify the price upgrade.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:48 am »

He needs to tread carefully on that.  We’re all turning into cherry pickers anyway.  This will drive that at an accelerated pace.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 14, 2019, 01:53:30 pm »

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm really hoping for 20 bucks....25 at the very most.  I think that's what GAME OF THRONES and STAR TREK run at, so it's not unreasonable.  Extra heads, hands, and lots of accessories may be really cool, but I will not shell out 30+ bucks for a 6" action figure.

YMMV.
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: February 14, 2019, 09:10:35 pm »

If Marvel Legends is $20.00 then Todd really canít charge $5-$10.00 more.  Just not gonna work.  He really needs to do some more market research on this.  Heís got a year to adjust. 

And this all may work out well in his favor.  DCC is done.  Toys R Us may be coming back to North America.  And Iím almost certain that collectibles will be a big part of their return plan.  The type of stuff Target and Wal-Mart avoid.  Todd has always had a big presence at TRU. 

What I know is what Todd is capable of.  I know what he likes.  Monsters.  Warriors.  Sci-Fi.  Horror.  Mythology.  He honestly hasnít done too much with Capes and Tights, but Iím sure he can work it out.  Heís one of us.  I know itís a long shot, but I wouldnít be shocked if he did a wave of Infinity Inc.  Just because. 

If Iím gonna buy these, a number of things need to align.  Even if I donít end up being a buyer, Iím looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table.  Iíve no doubt itíll be good.  Just hope itís something I can throw some money at.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 15, 2019, 09:25:34 am »

But does Todd's stuff sell at big retail locations? I've only seen his figures at specialty stores -- never at TRU or Walmart. If it's at specialty, he can charge a bit more.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 15, 2019, 10:04:00 am »

His bigger licenses make it to the big box stores sometimes (Fortnite, Borderlands, Walking Dead) and even Walgreens.  I think the thing to keep in mind though is that he's replacing both DC Multiverse and DCC - the later of which had higher price points.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: February 15, 2019, 12:26:49 pm »

Todd used to sell a ton of Spawn in Toy R Us.  After “Party Angela” I think Wally’s may have kicked him out.  Can’t remember to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 15, 2019, 01:36:56 pm »

So you guys are saying that he is definitely making Frankenstein and The WarlordWink

All joking aside, some excellent points have been made about TRU and KB no longer existing.  These are very interesting times.  How is this going to work?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:39:08 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 15, 2019, 01:58:48 pm »

TRU may be coming back.  Probably in time for Toddís takeover.  But yes, Frankenstein and Warlord are in Toddís wheelhouse. 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:13 am »

Apparently the Mattel presentation is tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure