Action Figure Blues Forum
October 22, 2017, 05:56:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mighty Marvel Comics discussion

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mighty Marvel Comics discussion  (Read 9818 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 712

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:18 am »

Thor - God of Thunder #12

By Jason Aaron with art from Nic Klein

This comic is as good as it gets. Jason Aaron's first issue out after the fantastic God Butcher and God-Bomb storylines is exactly what  you want from your superhero comics. This "Day in the life of Thor" shows that Aaron "gets" Thor. The art by Nic Klein is a definite change from the very eye pleasing Ivan Ribic, but it's not half bad, being similar in nature to Butch Guice or Luke Ross. This issue is done-in-one so it's a great jumping on point for the title, though if you're interested I'd suggest starting from the first issue as this is a legendary run in the making.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 335

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:23:20 am »

You know, a Thor solo series is just something I've never been able to get into. Maybe I'll pick up the first trade of this and give it a go.
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07:55 am »

You should; It's very good.

Also, Nic Klein did an awesome job with Ivan Brandon on Vikings (the Image title from a couple of years ago), so I'd expect him to be good on this. He's also picking up the next Captain America arc. I wouldn't have classed him in the Guide/Ross mould, but I haven't seen much of his stuff outside of Vikings.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:31:09 pm »

Thanos Rising #5

By Jason Aaron and Simone Bianchi

Anyone would think that I'm biased towards Aaron's writing, but it just so happens he's writing some of my favourite stuff right now. This five issues min-series is essentially "Thanos Year One"...except that it's longer than a year and not a DC comic. Anyhoo, we finally get the detailed origin of Thanos and it's fantastic. I'm not sure if Aaron spoke to Jim Starlin or anyone like that, but he's managed to craft a superb early years look at one of the best villains Marvel has to offer. What this series doesn't do is water the character down, instead, if anything he comes across even more evil than before. Simone Bianchi's art is just glorious and it's great seeing him do full interiors rather than just covers.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 546

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »

You should; It's very good.

Also, Nic Klein did an awesome job with Ivan Brandon on Vikings (the Image title from a couple of years ago), so I'd expect him to be good on this. He's also picking up the next Captain America arc. I wouldn't have classed him in the Guide/Ross mould, but I haven't seen much of his stuff outside of Vikings.

I see where the Guice/Ross comparison comes from.  I think it was actually toned down a bit for this spectacular issue of Thor.  He got a bit more rounded, less scratchy.  The same thing with Ross over on Secret Avengers.  Anyway, I did not see the Jane Foster turn coming.  What a punch in the gut.  Aaron knows what he's doing on this book.  Also, Blis talked me into Wolverine and the X-Men, which is crazy fun.  The artist (Nick Bradshaw?) is like a fast Art Adams.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 335

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 08:41:04 pm »

I'm very much enjoying Hickman on the Avengers. Hickman is a slow-burn writer and you have to go into his work with a trust that it's all leading somewhere. Not only is he doing a great job, but he has introduced some interesting new characters which is a nice change.

Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:14:08 pm »

I see where the Guice/Ross comparison comes from.  I think it was actually toned down a bit for this spectacular issue of Thor.  He got a bit more rounded, less scratchy.  The same thing with Ross over on Secret Avengers.  Anyway, I did not see the Jane Foster turn coming.  What a punch in the gut.  Aaron knows what he's doing on this book.  Also, Blis talked me into Wolverine and the X-Men, which is crazy fun.  The artist (Nick Bradshaw?) is like a fast Art Adams.

Yeah, the Foster thing was amazing and surreal. Aaron handles it really well.

W & T X-Men is a riot and I agree about Bradshaw, he's fun. I shouldn't talk this title up too much though as it's written by.....Jason Aaron.

I'm very much enjoying Hickman on the Avengers. Hickman is a slow-burn writer and you have to go into his work with a trust that it's all leading somewhere. Not only is he doing a great job, but he has introduced some interesting new characters which is a nice change.

I'm persevering. It's been a slow start and not what I'd imagined the title being like. However, the latest issue ramps it up and I'm enjoying it much more.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 10:49:46 am »

I dig Hickman on most things.  His Image titles have all been pretty good, except Red Wing.  That one went nowhere for me.  I just picked up God is Dead from Avatar which has his name attached, as well as Mike Costa.  As with a lot of Avatar books the art is mediocre and heavy on the gore.  I might get a collection later if I hear good things.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 05:18:10 pm »

I was fast losing interest in the new Thunderbolts, but the most recent issue has me interested again. General Ross' "One for me, one for you" mission policy is an interesting one and I'm glad they chose the Punisher first as I miss Frank having his own regular series.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:26 pm »

Agreed.  I'm thinking the change in writer had something to do with it, but now that he's had a chance to make things his own we're in for some fun stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
The Complete Monger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:48 pm »

Just read Infinity #2.  We are now officially in Space Opera territory and the changes in Thanos origin make some more sense.  Hickman is paying off.
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 07:36:30 pm »

How is the Fantastic Four/FF thing playing out? I dropped FF at #4. Is it just Fraction paying the bills while he knocks it out of the park over at Image?
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
The Complete Monger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 10:59:09 pm »

I love FF way more than Fantastic Four actually.  Allred clearly has a positive influence on it.  I'll get Fraction's Image stuff digitally down the road.  Is it really that good?
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 02:31:10 am »

Satellite Sam is ok so far. It's no Hawkeye though.
Report Spam   Logged
Gadabout
Chase Figure

QC: 56

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »

I never read Marvel before DC's reboot. Now I read Hawkeye and Deadpool. Also trying to catch up on Daredevil which has been great.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure