Action Figure Blues Forum
July 20, 2019, 03:15:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dynamic DC comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamic DC comics discussion  (Read 14962 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 03, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »

I never completely kicked the habit of buying at least a few comics per month, but I don't get any satisfaction from it -- and should probably just call it a day. The LCS I go to is almost always sold out of anything I might want to pick up. I have a few titles on a pull list, but could easily drop those.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 03, 2019, 06:15:28 pm »

I was almost there a few years ago.  I was reading DKR Master Race which was on the Doomsday Clock schedule (when we feel like it), Batman Beyond for a promised storyline featuring some of my favorites like OMAC, Atomic Knights and others (which never happened), and Earth 2 (which was supposed to be a stand-alone book), but somehow got enmeshed with 3 huge crossover events.  Then came Rebirth...

Wednesday is my favorite day of the week again.  I currently read 16 monthlies, and 8 minis.  Looking forward to Leviathan.  Gonna give Outsiders, and the Lois and Jimmy minis a chance.  Batman/Superman vol 2 could be awesome.  The only thing Iím not liking much is the lateness of Doomsday Clock.

At this point in the DCU, there is a larger narrative building through several books.  Rebirth/Doomsday Clock is only a part of it.  I believe Scott Snyder is in the middle of deconstructing and rebuilding the DC Omniverse.  Hopefully so we can see characters like Top Ten, Camelot 3000, Thriller, Slash Maraud and more.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 09, 2019, 10:35:46 pm »

https://www.newsarama.com/45103-heroes-in-crisis-finale-rescheduled-will-now-coincide-with-big-doomsday-clock-reveal.html

OK.  Not sure at all what's happening here, but there's some strange synchronicity going on.  May 29th is the release date for Doomsday Clock #10 and Heroes in Crisis #9.  It's the third anniversary of Rebirth and of Wally West's return to the DCU after his New 52 exile.  For those of you not tracking, Wally was one of the central figures in HiC.  He was also name checked in DC #9 in a conversation between Lois Lane and Lex Luthor.  Evidently, DC #10 is a big reveal in the story involving Wally, Dr. Manhattan, and the history of the DCU.  How HiC #9 plays into this I can only speculate.  Actually I can't because I've no idea. 

And I called HiC months ago.  The whole premise blew up on me when I was asked to believe Harley got the drop on Wally with her hammer.     
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 13, 2019, 01:53:15 pm »

I've kinda been following HiC on the various sites/boards. Anything with modern Harley is an instant turn off. I don't know if her apparent popularity will have longevity or not, but I can't see it. I'll wait to see if those two books make DC Comics safe to read again.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 12, 2019, 05:23:17 pm »

Been a pretty good comic book day for me. 

First Wally gets his own book:

https://www.newsarama.com/45556-wally-west-looks-for-redemption-after-heroes-in-crisis-in-new-solo-title.html

Then the JSA returns in Justice League:

https://www.newsarama.com/45553-scott-snyder-to-reintroduce-justice-society-of-america-has-big-plans-for-them.html

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 676

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 12, 2019, 07:28:49 pm »

A whole series of Wally dealing with how he's been tainted isn't for me.  I never thought I'd live in a time that I'm 70 issues into a Barry run I like and I'm not picking up a Wally book.

On the other hand, the JSA will be buckets of win.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 12, 2019, 09:22:04 pm »

At this point Iíve not yet given up on Wally.  No matter how good Barryís run is.  And it is great.  But Iím not sure the premise of Wallyís book is what we think.  Certainly it will be about redemption.  But Flash Forward seems like a hint.  Maybe itís Wally caught up in Hypertime.  Searching for his family, but also straightening out the DCU timeline as only a speedster can.  At any rate, the solicitation is surprisingly vague.  And it sounds better to me than Wally taking over for Rick Flagg as the Suicide Squad field leader.

Itís been three years and two weeks since the start of Rebirth, and the JSA is finally returning after eight years in the wilderness.  And Iím ecstatic about it. 
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 17, 2019, 06:07:14 am »

Last week, DC announced that Bendis and Ryan Sook were the creative team selected to bring back Legion. Apparently, the chance to write Legion was the linchpin for Bendis going to DC. Based on the asexual design of Saturn Girl, I'm expecting a lot of modern-day changes -- some for the better, many for the worse.

https://www.newsarama.com/45587-inside-ryan-sook-s-legion-of-super-heroes-redesigns.html
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 17, 2019, 07:40:21 am »

Dunno what to expect.  I like the Legion but donít consider myself a hard core fan.  The second Levitz run (82-89) is my go to era.  Both before and after is kinda meh to me. 

Having said that, Iíve really enjoyed Bendis at DC so far.  Action, Superman, Young Justice, and Naomi are all solid to very good books.  Donít care for his curated stuff.  IMHO, Wonder Twins and Dial H are awful.  Yet both minis got extended for another six issues so Iím clearly in the minority. 

Iíll definitely give Legion a chance.  The way heís set up Jon (Superboy) Kent to join has been almost masterful. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure