Action Figure Blues Forum
October 22, 2017, 05:52:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Miscellaneous comics I done read and what I thought of 'em

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous comics I done read and what I thought of 'em  (Read 2062 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 180

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2014, 09:21:00 am »

I received volume one of Ms. Marvel Masterworks this past weekend. While never an outstanding series, the stories are mostly solid -- and comparable with most B-list titles of that era. I will say that Jim Mooney is a much better illustrator than inker. His work on issue four is very comparable with John Buscema's work on issues 1-3. Of course, the inks by Joe Sinnott help a great deal, but you can't really put lipstick on a pig.

There is also one issue drawn by Carmine Infantino and finished by Steve Leiloha. Separately, they would later be illustrators on the Spider-Woman series.

Probably the most significant issue collected in this volume is Ms. Marvel #9 which features the debut of Deathbird (designed by Dave Cockrum). I love how Alden's Department Store (my family used to get their Christmas catalog) turned out to be a front for an AIM base.

There is also a fun cameo by Dracula when Carol Danvers visits here parents in Boston.

To me, the character really came into her own when she ditched the Mar-Vell inspired outfit, but that will happen in volume two.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:22:04 am by kcekada » Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 712

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »

Cool stuff K.

I often wonder what happened to people like Steve Leiloha and Steve Lightle? I guess they're at the age that could be technically "retired" if they wanted to be.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:05 pm »

The rumor about Lightle back in the day was that he was too slow to keep up a monthly schedule.  Glad to hear he's still in the game.  I'd always assumed he'd gone into advertising or was doing storyboards for the TV/film industry. 
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 180

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2014, 11:27:01 am »

I know that Leiloha was the inker on Fables wen it launched. His style was quite different from his 70s/80s work. Actually his 80s work on New Mutants was a bit more graphic/simpler than his work on Spider-Woman. I believe he is/was married to Trina Robbins. They separately illustrated the Who's Who entries for GA Cheetah and BA Cheetah (Debbie Domaine -- my favorite version of the character).

I wouldn't mind seeing Lightle on a Legion series. That title would really need an artist who could put an artistic stamp on it.
Report Spam   Logged
Josey Wales
Chase Figure

QC: 86

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2015, 11:12:52 pm »

Been reading a lot of REH stuff recently on the tablet. The Savage Sword mag from Dark Horse is great. Picked the first 9 issues cheap during a sale a few weeks back. Also picked up Red Sonja: Wrath of the Gods on sale. Thor & Loki are a big part of the story, so I was sold. Love to see the different interpretations of the Odinson. I'm on to the last issue & the story has been good so far.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 712

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2015, 04:58:10 am »

Awesome Josey.

I'm a longtime fan of Bob Howard. Those Frazetta covers sucked me in when I was a kid.

While I've got a run of Conan the Barbarian, I've not read all the Savage Sword issues because they were so expensive to this wee lad at the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure