Action Figure Blues Forum
April 26, 2018, 12:18:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dynamic DC comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamic DC comics discussion  (Read 11626 times)
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1143

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 19, 2018, 06:42:02 pm »

So, Action #1000. 

Kind of embarrassing really.  Dull as dishwater.  The Tomasi story was good, the rest, not so much.  And all of that is before we get to Bendis.

It's another "all you know is wrong" story.  Which is kinda what I expected from him.  Changing the past to fit his narrative.  Of course this doesn't happen in a vacuum.  Someone high up in DC signed off on it.  Krypton was destroyed.  But not by natural causes.  Someone did it.  And now he's after Clark and Kara.  O noes111!!!!111!! Embarrassed Roll Eyes 
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 589

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 20, 2018, 01:21:02 pm »

On the face of it, I agree with you about the Bendis twist - although we'll see how it plays out.  Bringing Bucky back seemed like a horrible idea, but Brubaker pulled it off.

The rest of the issue was a mixed bag, but I wouldn't say embarrassing.  The two most recent Bat-writers each gave us the end of Superman stories, which got dark.  Dark doesn't really work for Supes.  The other stories were fun retrospectives.  Seeing Jerry Ordway draw a modern story was a bit jarring - I expected his to be more retro.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 20, 2018, 03:54:57 pm »

On the face of it, I agree with you about the Bendis twist - although we'll see how it plays out.  Bringing Bucky back seemed like a horrible idea, but Brubaker pulled it off.

Based on creator owned material alone, I'll take Bru over BMB any day.  I'd rather have Bru back at DC or Marvel than Bendis.  It is what it is. 

The rest of the issue was a mixed bag, but I wouldn't say embarrassing.  The two most recent Bat-writers each gave us the end of Superman stories, which got dark.  Dark doesn't really work for Supes.  The other stories were fun retrospectives.  Seeing Jerry Ordway draw a modern story was a bit jarring - I expected his to be more retro.

I just found it dull.  Unimpressive overall.  Not what I expected this momentous issue to be.  Plus, we've still got another issue a piece from Jurgens and Tomasi.  They each get a Superman special to close it out their runs next month.  Action is a Luthor story.  And in Superman Clark and Jon return to Dinosaur Island.     
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 184

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 22, 2018, 06:27:10 pm »

I've concluded that Rebirth is a miss with me. Wally and Donna are back, but there stories haven't been that great. Now Titans is getting a soft reboot -- and though I'm impressed with the change in artists (Brandon Petersen instead of Brett Booth), I don't know how much longer I support the series.

I couldn't get into Metal. Mostly picked it up for the Hawkman connection, but I'm not even sure what happened to him in that series -- and not sure I can be bothered to read it again -- admittedly, I mostly glossed over the pages after the first issue failed to impress.

Terrifics was okay.

The fat lady is singing, and I dont' think I can ignore her any longer.

Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 22, 2018, 06:39:57 pm »

Have you tried Detective?
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 22, 2018, 06:56:26 pm »

Or Flash?  Or Batman?
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 22, 2018, 10:40:09 pm »

I've concluded that Rebirth is a miss with me. Wally and Donna are back, but there stories haven't been that great. Now Titans is getting a soft reboot -- and though I'm impressed with the change in artists (Brandon Petersen instead of Brett Booth), I don't know how much longer I support the series.

On the other hand, Rebirth has been a hit for me.  I was out of New 52 in less than six months except for Earth 2.  Rebirth has held my attention for two years now.  Batman, Detective, Flash, Red Hood, and Titans are my mainstays.  Aquaman, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman are also enjoyable.  New Age of Heroes hasn't been as good as I'd hoped, but it's still early and Terrifics is well, fantastic.  Grin  Can't wait for Hawkman and the Justice League relaunch.  I'm still up in the air over Bendis on Superman.

I'll also admit that the tease of the JSA, LSH, and Marvel/Shazam Family has been frustrating.  Knowing that anybody doing anything with them is contingent on Johns and Frank finishing Doomsday Clock.  Which could be fifteen months away is really depressing. 

What is not depressing is seeing DC amass a talent pool that may be unrivaled in modern comics.  As long as the pipeline is filled with cool, interesting stuff, the wait for the JSA and the LSH may not be so bad.  Eventually, Geoff Johns will have to step away from writing.  He will no longer be lead man.  Scott Snyder and Brian Bendis sliding into that role as co-lead writers for the DCU isn't a bad thing.       
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 23, 2018, 07:27:58 am »

Have you tried Detective?

No -- I've paged through it at the shop. Maybe I'll try it when a new story begins.

I was a fan of the Tomasi/Gleason Superman stories early on that focused heavily on Jonathan. I liked the family feel, and the art was mostly great. But that team moved on quite some time ago -- as did I.  I will be giving Hawkman a try as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:30:06 am by kcekada » Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 23, 2018, 07:32:39 am »

Or Flash?  Or Batman?

Mostly no. I did like that issue of Batman that crossed over with Doomsday Clock/Flash. I couldn't find the Flash issue. I think Batman may sell out before I can get it, but I do see Detective on the shelves. I was buying Batwoman, but that series was dull. Even when Epting was on art, I missed J.H. Williams. I don't know where Epting went after he left.

Update:

Just saw a preview at CBR for Detective Comics -- and id did look good (I mean the art as well as the plot). If I see it on the shelf, I'll pick it up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:56:58 am by kcekada » Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 23, 2018, 08:46:05 pm »

kc, I'm ashamed to admit that after all these years on various boards together, I can't remember whether you're a trade buyer or not.  If you're not, I won't twist your arm.  If you do, I think you'll enjoy both Batman and Detective post Rebirth TPB's.  And I'm not the world's biggest Bat-fan. 

Tom King is basically a genius.  His is a very cerebral Batman.  He's stated that he wants to do 100 issues.  OK fine.  Sign me up. 

Tynion on Detective has been non stop balls-to-the-walls action.  The team dynamic he set up is nothing like I've seen on a Bat book.  I think I've actually enjoyed Detective more than Batman.  Anyway, Tynion's run ends in three issues.  Not sure what the new direction will be but it appears to be an Outsiders mini reunion.     
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 24, 2018, 07:48:22 am »

Rarely buy trades of modern stuff. I prefer the monthly format. Actually, I may be moving to digital format in the near future. Tired of dealing with bagging/boxing/storage. I want to vastly reduce my overhead this year. Comics will be the first to go. Some of the toys will follow.

I do like a cerebral Batman -- so that's promising. My biggest problem with comics these days is that they try to be so trendy. I can't even look at Guardians of the Galaxy since they remade Star-Lord in Chris Pratt's image (and I was a fan of the first GOTG fiilm -- but now -- it's just too much).
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 24, 2018, 08:18:34 pm »

I'm more and more tempted to go full digital.  I'm about half/half now with what I read.  Marvel through their app and some Image/Indy titles on Comixology when they have sales.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure