Action Figure Blues Forum
October 22, 2017, 05:52:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mighty Marvel Comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mighty Marvel Comics discussion  (Read 9818 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 180

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:24 am »

DC's rebirth is taking a godawful time to get anywhere, IMHO. How long was it that they started teasing Legion and JSA? Sheesh!

But to get back on topic -- a new Spirits of Vengeance title -- with Daimon Hellstrom, his sister Satan, Johnny Blaze and Blade. I'll give it a try. I liked the 90s Hellstorm series -- and was disappointed when Warren Ellis's Satana series got cancelled before it was ever published.

https://www.newsarama.com/35077-marvel-legacy-line-up-gets-bigger-with-more-titles.html#s4
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

QC: 376

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 26, 2017, 03:00:18 pm »

But to get back on topic -- a new Spirits of Vengeance title -- with Daimon Hellstrom, his sister Satan, Johnny Blaze and Blade. I'll give it a try.

Yes, that title interested me, too.  It's so off the wall that it's cool.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 712

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 26, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »

So for my Marvel oriented friends, do you think this begins to right the ship for Marvel?  Can't say as I have an opinion yet either way. 

One of the biggest issues is the mouthbreeders that inhabit places like facebook. I'm a member of a group that discusses comics pre-1986. If someone dares mention a current storyline at, say, Marvel, it's universally condemned immediately with some uncomfortable levels of hatred.

I didn't like New52. But I at least tried it. I didn't like Rebith, but I at least tried it. Down to four titles (soon to be three, from 18 pre-52).

Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 26, 2017, 10:29:17 pm »

I get it.  But I'm still enjoying Rebirth.  A whole lot more than New 52.  Not really even in the same league.

As all those homage covers came out last Friday with very little useful information about any of the titles or creative teams, the whole thing struck me as the next gimmick.  I think Marvel really has lost the plot now.   
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 27, 2017, 01:09:09 am »

I get it.  But I'm still enjoying Rebirth.  A whole lot more than New 52.  Not really even in the same league.

As all those homage covers came out last Friday with very little useful information about any of the titles or creative teams, the whole thing struck me as the next gimmick.  I think Marvel really has lost the plot now.   

Well they are trying to right the ship by bringing back their mainstays. I get the need for diversity and I'm thoroughly enjoying the results of those decisions (Champions is a solid, fun book), but there's only one Cap, Wolverine and Hulk for me. I'm all for Falcon, Laura/X-23 and Amadeus Cho to stick around, but not at the expense of characters I've grown up with.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 546

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 27, 2017, 11:05:22 am »

The lack of information - or seeming plan - is disturbing.  It's possible there is a play, but the hype machine is doling it out in dribbles.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 27, 2017, 11:10:33 am »

One of the biggest issues is the mouthbreeders that inhabit places like facebook. I'm a member of a group that discusses comics pre-1986. If someone dares mention a current storyline at, say, Marvel, it's universally condemned immediately with some uncomfortable levels of hatred.

That's not cool.  God knows I'm stuck in the past, but I don't ever want to be 'that guy'.  Even though I haven't bought a Modern MARVEL or DC title in ages, I still follow the solits and try to keep a general feel of what's going on, even if I don't care for it.  If somebody loves what's going on with Modern MARVEL, then good for them. 

It's like NICKELBACK.  I can't stand them and I'm happy to talk about it with other people who hate them, but if I happen to come across a person who likes them, then I let it drop.  Why piss in their cereal?
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 27, 2017, 05:55:58 pm »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/27/marvel-schedules-conference-call-with-comicspro-comic-stores-over-marvel-legacy-concern/

I understand that scores of people (most of us included as well as myself, resident DC apologist), were skeptical of Rebirth along with a lot of retailers and the "fan press".  Seems that's happening all over again.  DC had to prove themselves.  I, for one, am still enjoying Rebirth as we head into year 2. 

I just have to think that "Legacy" is really not what Marvel is known for.  DC's Families go back to the 40's.  Legacy characters go back to the 50's.  The generational aspect was explored in the 60's with the Teen Titans and again in the 80's with Infinity Inc.  After the Crisis in 1985, Legacy was "baked in" to the DCU.  New 52 removed it.  Now New 52 is being removed and Legacy returned. 

And now Marvel wants to stake a Legacy claim?  Don't think so Scooter.               
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 27, 2017, 08:44:56 pm »

Also, it doesn't help that MARVEL forces a lot of it's diversity. 

It kind of reminds me of Reality Competition shows.  Just because somebody wins a show, it doesn't mean they are an instant Super Star.  They haven't worked as hard and earned it like a lot of artists that struggled and rose up from nothing.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:46:54 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 29, 2017, 06:50:51 pm »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/29/marvel-legacy-a-stopgap-before-the-next-relaunch-comicspro-retailer-conference-call-breaks-out/

This makes my brain ache.  And I don't read Marvel. 
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 30, 2017, 02:51:39 am »

Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing Captain America? Well I won't make it to double figures. His Black Panther is boring as fuck.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 30, 2017, 09:05:16 pm »

Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing Captain America? Well I won't make it to double figures.

Probably doesn't matter.  I'm sure that a relaunch and New #1 issues are right around the corner.
Report Spam   Logged

kavball
Chase Figure

QC: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 12, 2017, 06:25:53 pm »

I picked up the Squadron Supreme TPB by Mark Gruenwald on sale at my LCS last week. I forgot how much I liked his work. The art in it is pretty good also. It's a fun read and an oldy but goody.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 13, 2017, 12:26:46 am »

Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing Captain America? Well I won't make it to double figures.

Probably doesn't matter.  I'm sure that a relaunch and New #1 issues are right around the corner.

Well if they go back to legacy numbering then my OCD will have me pick it up regardless  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 01, 2017, 05:59:57 pm »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/01/every-story-event-marvel-legacy-trailer/

Is it just me or does Brevoort have the most punchable face in comics?

Legacy sounds like a stop-gap-shit-show. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure