Action Figure Blues Forum
July 20, 2019, 03:09:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mighty Marvel Comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mighty Marvel Comics discussion  (Read 15538 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 730

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: January 14, 2018, 12:31:19 am »

I was still enjoying Conan the Slayer right up until the end.

I feel sorry for Dark Horse. First Star Wars, now Conan.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 01, 2018, 11:28:36 pm »

Whatever Marvel is paying Garth Ennis to write "Punisher: The Platoon", they need to double it and have him write rotating Punisher mini-series indefinitely. It's fucking awesome!
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 21, 2018, 07:27:45 am »

https://www.newsarama.com/38699-marvel-getting-a-fresh-start-in-may-2018-in-line-wide-change.html

So what's everyone think of another "Fresh Start"?  They don't even seem to know if the legacy number will hold up. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 676

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 21, 2018, 08:43:50 am »

Not much detail yet.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 21, 2018, 11:04:17 am »

Yeah,  it's just a concept at this point. Obviously, something had to be done, but how the execution is what matters --- and we'll get more detail in drips and drabs.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 21, 2018, 01:01:49 pm »

So, some details.

New Black Panther #!. Same writer (his stuff kinda bored me -- too political, but it's critically acclaimed). Danial Acuna on art.  May try it.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-marvel-comics-relaunch/
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 21, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »

Dribbling out the details may not have the impact they want.  Unless the talent attached to an individual announcement is huge I think they'd be better off with announcing it all at once.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 22, 2018, 07:07:07 am »

This is pretty big -- Jason Aaron and Ed McG on Avengers -- with a new, pared down line up. https://www.newsarama.com/38753-fcbd-avengers-1-cover-revealed.html

Not as big -- Quicsilver gets a 5-issue limited series (guess they don't call em mini-series these days). But this probably isn't tied into Fresh Start.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 17, 2018, 08:37:51 pm »

So, some details.

New Black Panther #!. Same writer (his stuff kinda bored me -- too political, but it's critically acclaimed). Danial Acuna on art.  May try it.

Critically acclaimed or not, Coates as a writer is boring as fuck. I only read the title for Stelfreeze's art. Not a fan of Acuna so easy pass.

Waid was doing good stuff on Avengers, I just don't think Marvel new how to handle the titles. The unfamiliar line-ups were annoying. I'm a fan of Aaron's so I'm in....even when McGuinness leaves after the fourth issue.

I've recently been reading Avengers from #1 (the real #1) and there's a comment from Stan in one of the letter's pages that the reason Cap, Thor and Iron Man have left the team is because they get enough exposure in their other titles. But there's a reason they're popular, so removing them is a stupid move. You need the big three and then you can rotate the rest of the team on an adventure by adventure basis.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 17, 2018, 09:14:29 pm »

I don't know that you always need all of the big three.  You need one or two to anchor things, but the fun from Avengers stories for me has always come from the b and c-stringers that the writers can actually do something with.

You do need to periodically bring the classics back together to start the cycle anew though.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 18, 2018, 04:22:35 pm »

I don't know that you always need all of the big three.  You need one or two to anchor things, but the fun from Avengers stories for me has always come from the b and c-stringers that the writers can actually do something with.

You do need to periodically bring the classics back together to start the cycle anew though.

...in a heavily promoted #1 issue with top notch creators who last six issues.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 19, 2018, 07:05:54 am »

As a kid/teen/college student, I was all about Marvel.  Avengers was my favorite title.  Although Kamandi was the first book I ever "collected".  Something shifted in me when the New Teen Titans came out.  By the time CoIE was over, I'd jumped from Marvel to DC.  But even after that, I still bought and read the Avengers eagerly.  For another five years or so.  My favorite lineups were always when the big three took a backseat.  However, that's not why most people buy the Avengers.  And by extension, the Justice League. 

Some writers, like Morrison, have figured out a way to make the threats look credible for the heavy hitters.  His is still my all time favorite JLA run.  Other writers, like Bendis, have to weaken the team to make the bad guys threatening.  Never much cared for that approach.       
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 19, 2018, 08:51:03 am »

So, some details.

Critically acclaimed or not, Coates as a writer is boring as fuck. I only read the title for Stelfreeze's art. Not a fan of Acuna so easy pass.

Waid was doing good stuff on Avengers, I just don't think Marvel new how to handle the titles. The unfamiliar line-ups were annoying. I'm a fan of Aaron's so I'm in....even when McGuinness leaves after the fourth issue.

I've recently been reading Avengers from #1 (the real #1) and there's a comment from Stan in one of the letter's pages that the reason Cap, Thor and Iron Man have left the team is because they get enough exposure in their other titles. But there's a reason they're popular, so removing them is a stupid move. You need the big three and then you can rotate the rest of the team on an adventure by adventure basis.

I don't think you need all three, all the time. Two of the three full-time -- rotating the third in and out as needed. Then throw in about three second-tier classic members. Tht leaves room for two newbs -- whom never seem to work out long term. I really have a difficult time with Rogue as an Avenger -- she belongs with the X-Men.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 20, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »

Thrawn is awesome (two issues so far). As are all the Star Wars book s from Marvel
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 29, 2018, 12:38:14 pm »

Shhhh.  It’s a secret but it seems like the Fantastic Four is returning.    Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure