Action Figure Blues Forum
May 23, 2017, 01:36:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mighty Marvel Comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mighty Marvel Comics discussion  (Read 9262 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 178

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 09, 2017, 02:01:30 pm »

So I picked up issue number 15 of both Squadron Supreme and Scarlet Witch -- both written by Jame Robinson. Both series had their moments, but SS never really got off the ground after its initial arc. I'm not sure the team had a purpose -- and never seemed like much of a team. I think a classic lineup would have been a bit more fun -- despite my fondness for having Thundra as the Wondr Woman counterpart (I thought she always should have been -- as Power Princess was not a very inspired doppleganger).

Scarlet Witch was .... different. Wanda was much more attuned to witchcraft in this than she ever has been in the past. Agatha Harkness got a new personality -- and a second life. To date, it's never been exactly revealed how she was killed -- though she did say that Wanda was to blame. The Aja covers were beautiful -- but the interior art ran the gamut of really good -- to piss poor. Will be interesting to see if she gets attached to an Avengers book -- as the final page seemed to indicate.

That leaves Dr. Strange, Waid's Avengers and Thanos as the only Marvel books on my pull list.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 701

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:07 pm »

Squadron Supreme is a valiant effort, but it's confusing. I realise it's a Squadron made up of members from different realities, but as such there's no attachment to them. All the while I wonder 'my' Hyperion is?
Report Spam   Logged

kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 178

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 10, 2017, 06:31:14 am »

This was Hickman's Hyperion -- I think. Apparently the rest of the classic Squadron is dead except for Power Princess -- who was depowered by Warrior Woman of the Squadron Sinister. I imagine we'll see the classic group back at some point -- possibly from another parallel time.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Convention Exclusive

QC: 503

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 10, 2017, 09:47:38 am »

I think the Squadron has suffered from too many reboots to the point of incoherence.  Scarlet Witch has been fun as a series of stand alone stories, but you're right about the rotating artists being hit and miss.  I don't think there's a way around that though with the anthology style.  You won't like everything.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:49:32 am by Chooch » Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 1120

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 18, 2017, 08:13:55 am »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/17/twenty-not-canceled-marvel-titles-get-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-variants-august/

I really try not to bash Marvel (too much), but when I see stuff like this, it just shines a beacon on the disconnect they seem to have with comic fans and retailers.  This is not helpful to the publishing end of things, although I do understand that Marvel is gonna make a boatload of money from the game.

Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 19, 2017, 02:22:34 am »

I pay no attention to variants at all. If a cover has a couple of choices on the shelf I'll pick the one I like. I won't pay more than cover price because it's a "variant".

You want to talk about a disconnect......Marvel treated She-Hulk comics like a running joke for years.......then Jen gets serious in the new Hulk book and we're five issues in and She-Hulk hasn't appeared once.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Convention Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 19, 2017, 06:42:52 pm »

I pay no attention to variants at all. If a cover has a couple of choices on the shelf I'll pick the one I like. I won't pay more than cover price because it's a "variant".

You want to talk about a disconnect......Marvel treated She-Hulk comics like a running joke for years.......then Jen gets serious in the new Hulk book and we're five issues in and She-Hulk hasn't appeared once.

Seriously?  Not even the angry gray She-Hulk from the promo art?
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 19, 2017, 10:11:11 pm »

Seriously?  Not even the angry gray She-Hulk from the promo art?

Nope.

She-Hulk in various incarnations is on every cover, but has yet to appear inside. It was strongly suggested she might finally appear in the next issue (six). But y'know, it just shows how out of touch the editors are with fans. And by that I mean this is the new Marvel. Editors come up with the stories and writers get paid to put words in the speech bubbles.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Convention Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 19, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »

Wow.  I knew lots of folks weren't fans of the direction as solicited, but yikes.  I wonder how sales are doing.  (Checked it out: 101st in April with a Comichron estimate of 22k).  I'm surprised it's selling that well.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure