Action Figure Blues Forum
December 14, 2017, 04:47:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mighty Marvel Comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 73   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mighty Marvel Comics discussion  (Read 10195 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 180

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 09, 2017, 02:01:30 pm »

So I picked up issue number 15 of both Squadron Supreme and Scarlet Witch -- both written by Jame Robinson. Both series had their moments, but SS never really got off the ground after its initial arc. I'm not sure the team had a purpose -- and never seemed like much of a team. I think a classic lineup would have been a bit more fun -- despite my fondness for having Thundra as the Wondr Woman counterpart (I thought she always should have been -- as Power Princess was not a very inspired doppleganger).

Scarlet Witch was .... different. Wanda was much more attuned to witchcraft in this than she ever has been in the past. Agatha Harkness got a new personality -- and a second life. To date, it's never been exactly revealed how she was killed -- though she did say that Wanda was to blame. The Aja covers were beautiful -- but the interior art ran the gamut of really good -- to piss poor. Will be interesting to see if she gets attached to an Avengers book -- as the final page seemed to indicate.

That leaves Dr. Strange, Waid's Avengers and Thanos as the only Marvel books on my pull list.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 716

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:07 pm »

Squadron Supreme is a valiant effort, but it's confusing. I realise it's a Squadron made up of members from different realities, but as such there's no attachment to them. All the while I wonder 'my' Hyperion is?
Report Spam   Logged

kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 10, 2017, 06:31:14 am »

This was Hickman's Hyperion -- I think. Apparently the rest of the classic Squadron is dead except for Power Princess -- who was depowered by Warrior Woman of the Squadron Sinister. I imagine we'll see the classic group back at some point -- possibly from another parallel time.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 555

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 10, 2017, 09:47:38 am »

I think the Squadron has suffered from too many reboots to the point of incoherence.  Scarlet Witch has been fun as a series of stand alone stories, but you're right about the rotating artists being hit and miss.  I don't think there's a way around that though with the anthology style.  You won't like everything.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:49:32 am by Chooch » Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 18, 2017, 08:13:55 am »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/17/twenty-not-canceled-marvel-titles-get-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-variants-august/

I really try not to bash Marvel (too much), but when I see stuff like this, it just shines a beacon on the disconnect they seem to have with comic fans and retailers.  This is not helpful to the publishing end of things, although I do understand that Marvel is gonna make a boatload of money from the game.

Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 19, 2017, 02:22:34 am »

I pay no attention to variants at all. If a cover has a couple of choices on the shelf I'll pick the one I like. I won't pay more than cover price because it's a "variant".

You want to talk about a disconnect......Marvel treated She-Hulk comics like a running joke for years.......then Jen gets serious in the new Hulk book and we're five issues in and She-Hulk hasn't appeared once.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 19, 2017, 06:42:52 pm »

I pay no attention to variants at all. If a cover has a couple of choices on the shelf I'll pick the one I like. I won't pay more than cover price because it's a "variant".

You want to talk about a disconnect......Marvel treated She-Hulk comics like a running joke for years.......then Jen gets serious in the new Hulk book and we're five issues in and She-Hulk hasn't appeared once.

Seriously?  Not even the angry gray She-Hulk from the promo art?
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 19, 2017, 10:11:11 pm »

Seriously?  Not even the angry gray She-Hulk from the promo art?

Nope.

She-Hulk in various incarnations is on every cover, but has yet to appear inside. It was strongly suggested she might finally appear in the next issue (six). But y'know, it just shows how out of touch the editors are with fans. And by that I mean this is the new Marvel. Editors come up with the stories and writers get paid to put words in the speech bubbles.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 19, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »

Wow.  I knew lots of folks weren't fans of the direction as solicited, but yikes.  I wonder how sales are doing.  (Checked it out: 101st in April with a Comichron estimate of 22k).  I'm surprised it's selling that well.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 16, 2017, 06:48:42 am »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/15/fantastic-four-52-cgc-94-sets-record-grade-first-black-panther/

So a graded copy of Fantastic Four #52 just sold for 12 grand.  FA of Black Panther.  I'm sure it's a nice book to have, but like the article says, is this a bet on the movie?  I'd like to think so.   
Report Spam   Logged
KOLOBOSREXX
Evil Master of MOTUC
Variant

QC: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 16, 2017, 03:42:27 pm »

...Marvel's comic-sales are in the TOILET! Cheesy  They blame the "fans" for "not liking diversity or female characters", when the REAL issue is, Most Folks just want to READ COMICS FOR FUN, not be proselytized to by Leftist/GWL-wack-jobs like Nick Spencer, Dan Slott, ect.  The New Ms. Marvel & Miles Morales Spidey, for example, WERE fun... Until their writers turned them into a political mouthpiece/whiny schlep who can't handle being "The Second Spider-Man", respectively!
Report Spam   Logged

..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 17, 2017, 12:19:30 pm »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/17/marvel-to-publish-previews-spotlight-for-generations-and-offer-major-retailer-discounts/

So for my Marvel oriented friends, do you think this begins to right the ship for Marvel?  Can't say as I have an opinion yet either way. 

I will say that the existence of Legacy characters has always rung a bit more true from DC.  Most of the time, Marvel Legacy characters almost seem like placeholders. 

YMMV.   
Report Spam   Logged
kavball
Chase Figure

QC: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 18, 2017, 07:49:43 am »

I am still on a break from reading current Marvel books. However, I have used the last few years to get back into collecting back issues. The early '80s from Marvel is my favorite and it is the era that I first started reading comics. I found a comic shop on my last work trip that had an extensive selection of $1 back issues that fit my search criteria. I have been enjoying reading old Iron Man books with Bob Layton art, Fantastic Four by John Byrne and Thor by Walt Simonson. It's been great. One book that I found was underrated is the first 24 issues of Alpha Flight by John Byrne. Also, the New Defenders had some beautiful covers in the mid-80s. Anyways, this has been an enjoyable way for me to still support local comic shops and get books that I know I will enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 18, 2017, 04:03:12 pm »

I picked up Iceman this week. I don't agree with the decision to make him suddenly gay (and I hate the scuba shorty he's using for his 'costume'), but I've always felt Iceman had potential as a solo character. Hopefully, I still recognize the character I've always liked before he was 'outed'.

Still picking up Dr. Strange, but will probably drop it shortly after Aaron and Bachalo leave -- I think 20 was their final issue -- and 21 was in my pull box. I didn't love this run, but it was creative and had its moments. I can do without seeing Dr. Strange eating a plate of eye balls and tentacles though. Didn't find the librarian chick interesting in the slightest! Why can't Clea be a full-time supporting character?

Phil Noto is not a good pick for an Avengers artist. Boring!

Page through issues 1-4 of Secret Empire. Didn't inspire me to buy any --- though issue 0 was okay.

Defenders? No - Marvel Knights? Yep. Am I buying it -- nope.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 22, 2017, 03:49:34 pm »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/22/marvel-promies-marvel-legacy-will-effect-every-hero-every-title-every-story-announced-tomorrow/

Looking back, we all had some healthy skepticism over Rebirth when it was announced.  I'll forgo that here and give Marvel the benefit of the doubt.  As I've aged, live and let live has become more important.  Also I recognize that for the comic industry to thrive, both Marvel and DC have to be healthy.  Here's to hoping this works.   beer.gif  Even though I probably won't be buying.  DC is throwing everything and the kitchen sink at me at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 73   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure