Action Figure Blues Forum
October 22, 2017, 05:58:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mighty Marvel Comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mighty Marvel Comics discussion  (Read 9818 times)
Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 546

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: October 07, 2017, 12:50:43 pm »

Have you gone all digital on Marvel?

I'm still getting Thor because there hasn't been a good jumping off point - and it's remained awesome.  The only other one I buy is Jessica Jones because the Mature Reader stuff doesn't always make it onto Marvel Unlimited.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

QC: 376

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 07, 2017, 02:07:17 pm »

I think having new characters could be great too, but I'm tired of every character having to be a derivative of classic characters, yet they are "superior" to their original counterparts.... These characters haven't earned the greatness that is supposedly being bestowed upon them. 

I could not possibly agree more.  MARVEL did try too hard.  It reminds me of almost any commercial or TV show I see nowadays with kids or teens in them.  You MUST have a black kid, an Asian kid, a Spanish kid, an Indian kid and I think there's a rule that there must be more females than males.

With all these 'replacements', it's almost like MARVEL was apologizing for decades of white males being front and center.

All of you guys hit on several fantastic points.  If you have event after event after event, then 'events' stop being meaningful.  If you have Christmas every single month, then December 25th isn't going to be that big of a deal.

CHOOCH, you really nailed it when you said that DC actually has you willingly spending money to buy their books, and are trying bring back long time readers.  I honestly think MARVEL is aiming most of their canons at Movie Goers and I-Just-Got-Into-Comics-a-Few-Years-Ago-Because-of-the-Movies types.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:32:34 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 180

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »

I just dumped most of the few remaining titles on my pull list. One of the major reasons is that the books, especially at Marvel, just look like shit. I know the cartoony, less-detailed looks is popular, but it's a turn off. I picked up Spirits of Vengeance -- and the art is not appropriate for the subject matter. Hell, Sabrina at Archie Comics has more moody artwork than this.

Both X-Men Gold and X-Men Blue look like they are being drawn by high school graduates. How is this possible? What happened to all of the good comic book artists?!
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 09, 2017, 07:12:00 pm »

DC and Image mostly. 

And that one Muslim guy who drew messages into his art on the X-Men.  He's gone from Western Comics forever. 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »

But the fact remains, DC is firmly in the drivers seat at the moment.  Marvel has lost a lot of creative firepower and Brevoort and Alonso don't seem to be in control of the ship at the moment.  There would seem to be no substantive leadership at Marvel right now. 

The creative momentum is most certainly with DC.  With Young Animals, Wildstorm, the CN stuff, Milestone returning in the spring of 2018, Vertigo relaunching next summer, Metal spinning out at least eight new books, as well as some oddball stuff like the new Inferior Five, DC is in danger of getting spread too thin.  Then there is Doomsday Clock and whatever they're teeing up on that side.  Johns says this is a self contained story, and I believe him, but you know there will be titles coming out the other side of this.  JSA and LSH most certainly.  And who knows what else?
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 712

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:05 pm »

There's a few odd choices that have been made over the years that perplex me. The first is referencing previous issues. Remember when someone would say something and there'd be the little asterisk and you'd check the corresponding box at the bottom and it say something like "Happened way back in issue XX". It's almost like they don't want you to have to know anything about.....y'know.....Legacy issues.

The other is the continuity. How you can have an event happening in New York city affecting everyone, then pick up a title that isn't in on the event and New York is perfectly fine? There was a time when someone had the sole job of making sure a writer couldn't do something because a character was busy in another title, etc. It was a cohesive universe. Now people do as they please and the only time characters come together is in the annual event everyone gripes about but stores order big on.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure