Action Figure Blues Forum
September 23, 2018, 10:49:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dynamic DC comics discussion

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamic DC comics discussion  (Read 12895 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: February 07, 2018, 05:25:16 pm »

I'm kind of meh on both the Big Boys.  GARD, I totally believe what you say about what DC is doing.  And I am really interested in The Teriffics.  But that's pretty much it.  And yeah, I agree that Marvel is going the Snag the Movie Goers route.

But at this point, I'm more into back issues.  There must be a couple hundred BA era back issues I want from Marvel and DC.  I truly prefer the older Batman that wasn't an unbeatable God and the center of the DC Universe. 

That's me as well.  I was enjoying Superman after Rebirth, but I still feel that DC is taking too long with this shit --- how many years since we were teased JSA and Legion. I am also looking forward to The Terrifics, but I don't think that title is long for this world, for some reason.

I am continuing to buy Bronze Age collections -- my days of combing back issues are long over. And for stuff that isn't collected, may even go the digital route.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1145

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 07, 2018, 07:47:51 pm »

I'm resigned to not seeing the JSA for a while.  It's Johns tale to tell and it looks like Doomsday Clock will take a while longer to get there.  As for the Legion, I'm not sure what's happening there and there's really not even enough info to speculate on properly.   

As for the Terrifics, I think it may be the only one of these new titles with legs.  The New Age of Heroes may be a bi-product of the internal war at DC between Johns and DiDio. 

Rebirth changed the topography of the comic book world.  And it was Johns' initiative.  Dan is on the outside looking in.  As publisher, he obviously has a certain amount of power and exercised some by bringing some heavy hitter writers and artists onto new projects where they're actually making more money based on higher sales.  This has the effect of taking out big named talent from the Rebirth titles, which have been primarily Legacy books and focusing on new creations for the DCU.

DC tries this initiative of creating new characters every so often, but it's largely a failure.  Out of Zero Hour, we got Starman.  Out of Bloodlines, we got Hitman.  Most of the rest is pretty forgettable.  Most of these books will probably fall away be the time Doomsday Clock is over and reality is reshaped again.  This little stunt by Didio may just be to keep Johns in his place.  Or maybe to just slow him down.                 
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 09, 2018, 07:05:25 pm »

History has show that pushing a slew of new books is not good. There is too much here being offered here, and only the strong will survive. I guess Jim Lee is still a draw (no pun intended), but I've skipped a lot of his stuff -- including his run on Superman and Justice League. I'm happy to see a new Challengers book, but whether or not I sample it is up in the air.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »

Jim Lee has never been on my "must buy" list.  I do enjoy his work, but if I'm not interested in the project, I'm not buying it.  Which sucks at this point because I think the Immortal Men is one of the more interesting concepts to come out of the New Age of Heroes.  Lee is already way behind.  He'll be gone in three or four issues anyway.  He has a pretty demanding day job after all.

I'm more than willing to sample all of the New Age of Hero titles and see what grabs me.  I do have a bit of hope due more to the writers involved than the artists.  I'm also a big fan of the source of these new characters as I've really enjoyed Metal.  This event is one that may actually have far reaching and lasting consequences in the DCU as it seems to be playing with concepts that have been established since 1961 when Jay and Barry met.  Some of this, I think, is being teed up for Johns in Doomsday Clock.  I also think that someone at DC may be entering the mythology of the DCU in a big way.  Not to belabor the point, I'm thinking Grant Morrison is coming back soon to "curate" a line of books that explore the Multiverse.  And I mean doing a deep dive into it.       
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:37 pm »

Today, Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt came out.

If anyone ever questions me as to why I prefer DC to Marvel, I'll hand them that issue.  Simply spectacular.  Absolutely over-the-top-batshit-crazy-like-I've-never-seen story.  Do yourselves a favor if there are any left at your LCS and buy this book.  I see why Bendis jumped ship now.

And there's still one issue left.  I can't wait to see how this concludes.     
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:38:48 pm by Gardner Grayle » Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 622

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 15, 2018, 09:15:01 am »

It was certainly Morrisony.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:19 am »

Yes it was.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 78

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 20, 2018, 05:20:55 pm »

So D.C. Comes out with a black panther like character called Red Lion.Really?
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 01, 2018, 05:34:42 pm »

https://www.newsarama.com/38875-4-new-sandman-series-coming-from-gaiman-new-creators.html

Certainly all in the execution, but the potential is there with Gaiman acting as "showrunner". 

As a side note, every time it seems Marvel is building up some momentum, DC comes up with something like this and steps on it. 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 08, 2018, 06:13:27 pm »

https://www.newsarama.com/38980-mike-perkins-jumping-from-marvel-to-dc.html

Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 08, 2018, 06:18:54 pm »

https://www.newsarama.com/38970-dc-launch-new-creator-driven-black-label-line-with-miller-deconnick-snyder-more.html

I'm impressed. 

And in general, I'm impressed by DC's commitment to it's brands.  Two kid friendly imprints, the Dreaming gets it's own imprint spearheaded by it's creator (Gaiman), and now this.  The spiritual descendent of Elseworlds.   
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 08, 2018, 10:07:09 pm »

More R-rated Elseworlds, but with so many labels at once I hope they all have room to succeed.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »

Me too.  But the talent seems to be assembling. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:54 pm »

That's true.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 09, 2018, 05:31:31 pm »

Clearly I don't know what's gonna happen with Black Label.  When people talk about great comic stories, inevitably they mention Killing Joke, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, Return of the Dark Knight, and New Frontier.  Putting aside that Killing Joke is basically in continuity and Watchmen is something currently active, lets talk about the other three.  All out of mainstream continuity.  All visually based on the vision of one creator, in turn creating his own universe.  KC was Ross.  Waid added the words. 

Everything announced yesterday are collaborations.  Not a singular vision.  I'm not sure the next New Frontier can come out of that.  I do applaud them for putting the structure in place to even make it possible though.     
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure