Action Figure Blues Forum
October 23, 2017, 01:07:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS THREAD

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS THREAD  (Read 15808 times)
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

QC: 376

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:40 pm »

God knows that I think outside the box ( usually in a non-helpful way ) and I don't know dick about running a business.  That said, maybe S7 should have started off by cutting way back.  Maybe offer just 2 figures a month... 1 Classics character and 1 Club Grayskull character to start out.  You veterans will remember that the line started out with 1 character per month.

Wouldn't it be better to slim down, and be able to focus more on quality than to try an all out sprint for a start?  I mean, c'mon....they're a small niche, novelty company and HE-MAN fans are some of the pickiest, most persnickety collectors out there.  In addition, pretty much all that's left now are C and D listers, so why not let up on the gas pedal a bit?

Just my opinion. think.gif
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:14:19 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 546

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 28, 2017, 05:12:14 pm »

It may not have been economically feasible to do a smaller number of figures.  Even with 4-8 at a time they're having trouble keeping the price anywhere near reasonable.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 28, 2017, 06:50:49 pm »

I'm sure that you're correct.  I am not the least bit business minded.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 28, 2017, 07:07:20 pm »

If the movie ever happens, S7 is done.  They can't possibly keep up or get product out to big box retailers.
Report Spam   Logged
KOLOBOSREXX
Evil Master of MOTUC
Variant

QC: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 29, 2017, 09:39:07 am »

If the movie ever happens, S7 is done.  They can't possibly keep up or get product out to big box retailers.

....And honestly, I am CROSSING MY FINGERS that Sony is honestly committed to getting this movie made, as much as I dislike their output... Mainly just for the fact that (A):  It will be really great to see MOTU back at retail, even if it is in the 6" DC Movie Basics-style as opposed to MOTUC-style, and (B): I am already ready for Super 7 to be done with the license!!  Over a year of having it, and all they have gotten to our hands is a handful of re-issues and questionable-quality con-exclusives, most of which aren't even in the hands of the folks that pre-ordered them yet!  It's not an issue of character selection or even really the absurd mark-up, but the fact that they are so obviously clueless, coupled with Flynn's crappy attitude towards MOTU and its fans (deserved to some degree as it may be!), and  a business-approach that clearly is NOT designed for mass-consumerism... 
Just go back to making shitty vinyl figures already, jeez... Angry
Report Spam   Logged

..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:39 pm »

....coupled with Flynn's crappy attitude towards MOTU and its fans (deserved to some degree as it may be!), and  a business-approach that clearly is NOT designed for mass-consumerism...

Exactly. Thumbs Up

As I said earlier, I think they could do a decent job of unarticulated figurines, or maybe even some 2" mini figures with 5 POAs, but they just aren't set up to do MOTU Classics. 

I really wish I knew the inner workings of MATTEL, and we could see exactly why they approved of S7 borrowing the license.  I mean....in the grand scheme of things, it's not like MOTU is the most important thing to MATTEL, so they could easily have just said "OK.  We've messed around with this tiny niche property enough.  We're done.  Back to focusing on HOT WHEELS and BARBIE."  For some reason, they didn't.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:09:28 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

KOLOBOSREXX
Evil Master of MOTUC
Variant

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 29, 2017, 01:19:56 pm »

...It's Totally just because, THEY KNOW MOTU has a considerable following, and MOTUC was and is, a highly desirable line!  Mattel apparently just can't dedicate resources to an online "club" or subscription service any more, but they don't mind licensing their own in-house property out, so they can STILL make money off of it, without actually having to produce anything or deal with the fan-base!  Problem is Super 7 just doesn't have the resources, know-how, or consideration, to deal with a semi-high-end high-quality collectors' line!  They can get away with overpriced novelty-items like MUSCLE and vinyls, and 3 3/4-style figures (let's be honest THOSE should be at actual retail, like FUNKO was doing with Reaction before Super 7 took it back!), but anything that involves consistent quality and actual customer considerations is just not their bag!  This could eventually change, but all signs currently point to Brian Flynn just not giving a shit... He grabbed MOTU from Mattel as a quick cash-in, not expecting that there would be any actual expectation from his customers, lol...
Report Spam   Logged

..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 29, 2017, 03:50:30 pm »

Super 7 just doesn't have the resources, know-how, or consideration, to deal with a semi-high-end high-quality collectors' line!  He grabbed MOTU from Mattel as a quick cash-in, not expecting that there would be any actual expectation from his customers, lol...

QFT.

I think he seriously underestimated A) the difficulty in making these figures, and B) the pickiness of the collectors.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:59:47 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

KOLOBOSREXX
Evil Master of MOTUC
Variant

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 29, 2017, 04:09:07 pm »

...The Fickleness of MOTU fans notwithstanding, (and we ALL know how obnoxious the fan-base can be, especially during the MOTUC/Mattel years! mwaha.gif),  There is a fair level of expectation for the quality of the product, based on Mattel's established quality, if nothing else!  And to apparently KNOWINGLY under-perform to even THOSE standards... Or at the very least, appear to illustrate that "It doesn't matter, these chumps will buy ANYTHING!!", does not bode well for MOTUC and Super 7's future with it...  Val is now trying to spin at the .ORG that "who says Super 7 can't do Classics while Mattel does a retail movie-line??" Roll Eyes  As if Mattel would allow for sharing of the main market for the license, once they are ready to actually DO SOMETHING with it, i.e. support a movie!!   cuckoo.gif
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 29, 2017, 05:49:17 pm »

Or at the very least, appear to illustrate that "It doesn't matter, these chumps will buy ANYTHING!!", does not bode well for MOTUC and Super 7's future with it... 

I think Flynn truly believed that.  God knows that MOTU fans can be totally devoted and will buy multiples of everything, but there does have to be a certain level of quality!

I was just reading that S7 now wants additional money to set up payment plans.  That rolling snowball keeps getting bigger....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:56:39 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 29, 2017, 06:13:22 pm »

Mattel left MotUC behind when it closed down Mattycollector.  It was an experiment that had run it's course.  Without Neitlich being the point of the spear, it had to end.  This is not what Mattel does as the largest toy maker in the world.  They make toys on a huge scale for worldwide distribution, not niche products for entitled manboys.  Mattel does have an online store for some specialty items as well as an eBay store for some other items, but there is no club sucking up to fanboys anymore.  HotWheels and Barbie are exceptions.    

I think part of the reason why DCUC failed at Mattycollector is that people who buy superhero toys don't wanna fuck around on the internet to do so or buy a blind sub.  Period.  Superheroes are meant to be bought in stores, not in an online "club".  Mattel knows MotUC would fail at retail, so they built Mattycollector for it.  And got more headaches than they bargained for including a project manager who tried to carve out his own little online fiefdom.

DC is the second biggest comic company in the English speaking world.  They arguably have the most iconic characters regardless of the current size of the company relative to Marvel.  There's no reason to have to subscribe to get these figures.  On the other hand, MotUC has a relatively small, well defined, and incredibly vocal fanbase with a batshit crazy mythology behind it.  Not something your average Wal Mart customer would want.

A MotU movie would only create a surge in demand for S7 which would in turn put them even further behind.  Mattel would either have to step in or find a new manufacturing partner.  Plus, if the movie figures do well, then maybe MotUC can be brought to retail as well.  Which would crush S7.  

Any scenario I can think of goes against them.    
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 30, 2017, 04:17:54 pm »

GARD, I don't even know what the hell to say after that post.  You completely covered EVERYTHING.

goodpost.gif

Basically, it looks like there's no place for S7 to go but down.  It doesn't look like they can possibly succeed.  The business know-how is not there, the communication is not there, and to top it off, S7 wants pre-payments, and are trying to produce a higher end type of product that they have never made before....it just spells disaster.

You totally nailed it about DC products, too.  I cannot imagine any scenario where I would be interested in a Blind Sub, especially with a catalog of hundreds and hundreds of characters.  Sure, I like variety, but you want to know what you're actually getting!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:21:15 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Boy Wonder
Chase Figure

QC: 88

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 30, 2017, 04:59:04 pm »

A better scenario would've been the 4 Horsemen selling the figures through their own store. The why've had a lot of success with their in-house figures and would've knocked their MOTU offerings out of the park.

I'd guess this didn't happen because the 4H either A) didn't want MOTU to detract from their focus on their own work or B) didn't want to deal with MOTU's dumbass fan base.

The 4H are at least giving creative consulting to S7. They've been posting test-shots on instagram and saying they'll passing on notes to the S7 crew and factory.

I cracked and bought a loose Plasmar from China on eBay. Will probably do the same for Gr'asp if the right deal comes along. Maybe Terroar.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:00:44 pm by Boy Wonder » Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 30, 2017, 06:46:37 pm »

GARD, I don't even know what the hell to say after that post.  You completely covered EVERYTHING.

goodpost.gif

Basically, it looks like there's no place for S7 to go but down.  It doesn't look like they can possibly succeed.  The business know-how is not there, the communication is not there, and to top it off, S7 wants pre-payments, and are trying to produce a higher end type of product that they have never made before....it just spells disaster.

You totally nailed it about DC products, too.  I cannot imagine any scenario where I would be interested in a Blind Sub, especially with a catalog of hundreds and hundreds of characters.  Sure, I like variety, but you want to know what you're actually getting!

Thanks man.  I just view this line from the side of someone who has nothing invested in it and no connection to it other than I think it's fascinating to watch.  From a safe distance.

As for DC, I'm not suggesting that people don't wanna buy from etailers.  They just don't wanna deal with Digital River and all that other happy horseshit.  My experiences buying from Mike's Comics have always been great.  People just don't want that extra step with the sub.  It's asinine to think that characters like Poison Ivy, Black Mask, and Mirror Master won't sell at retail.

A better scenario would've been the 4 Horsemen selling the figures through their own store. The why've had a lot of success with their in-house figures and would've knocked their MOTU offerings out of the park.

I'd guess this didn't happen because the 4H either A) didn't want MOTU to detract from their focus on their own work or B) didn't want to deal with MOTU's dumbass fan base.

The 4H are at least giving creative consulting to S7. They've been posting test-shots on instagram and saying they'll passing on notes to the S7 crew and factory.

It is doubtful that the 4H could've afforded the license.  Their pockets just aren't that deep.  Otherwise, that would've been the best case scenario.     
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 30, 2017, 07:36:13 pm »

Thanks man.  I just view this line from the side of someone who has nothing invested in it and no connection to it other than I think it's fascinating to watch.  From a safe distance.

And obviously, you can see the clearest.  The person with no dog in the race always sees the whole picture.

As for DC, I'm not suggesting that people don't wanna buy from etailers.  They just don't wanna deal with Digital River and all that other happy horseshit.  It's asinine to think that characters like Poison Ivy, Black Mask, and Mirror Master won't sell at retail.

Again, you're right.  Being a DC Collector can be frustrating as hell.  Like I've said a million times....we get less figure variety now than before all these DC TV shows existed.  We'll never see WILD DOG, KILLER FROST, WEATHER WIZARD, HEATWAVE, COUNT VERTIGO, and a whole slew of others.

Then there's the craziness of wanting money for unseen and unrevealed product!  How many people are gonna be OK with that??  And it would be different if it wasn't entire sets of figures.  Jeezus....why not just ask people for unlimited access to their bank accounts??

I wish that the HORSEMEN would do a knock-off MOTU line for their own store.  Yes, they've created MYTHIC LEGIONS, but I would like to see more non-armored characters.  Heck, they could even throw in some MUSKETEERS and ROBIN HOOD types.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:36:30 am by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure