Action Figure Blues Forum
October 23, 2017, 01:06:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS THREAD

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS THREAD  (Read 15808 times)
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:24 am »

Again, you're right.  Being a DC Collector can be frustrating as hell.  Like I've said a million times....we get less figure variety now than before all these DC TV shows existed.  We'll never see WILD DOG, KILLER FROST, WEATHER WIZARD, HEATWAVE, COUNT VERTIGO, and a whole slew of others.

Then there's the craziness of wanting money for unseen and unrevealed product!  How many people are gonna be OK with that??  And it would be different if it wasn't entire sets of figures.  Jeezus....why not just ask people for unlimited access to their bank accounts??

I'm almost at the point of never saying never again.  One word..."Ray" has gotten my hopes up again.  Still, I will manage my expectations, but I do think the potential is there again for a lot of stuff we (adult fans) might want.

As for subs to blind (superhero) product, that's not gonna work.  There are too many cherry pickers and niche collectors for that to happen.  People who only buy Batman or Wonder Woman or JLA.  Fill in your specific blank.  There seems to be a fairly small amount of true completists out there collecting superhero figures, be it Marvel or DC.  There are too many peg warmers from two or more years ago for that to be true.  If I wanted them, I can still find Sentry, Machine Man and Hawkeye around here.  DKR Robin and armored Batman are plentiful as well.  A wide variety of figures however, covers everyone's niche.   Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:11 am »

I wish that the HORSEMEN would do a knock-off MOTU line for their own store.  Yes, they've created MYTHIC LEGIONS, but I would like to see more non-armored characters.  Heck, they could even throw in some MUSKETEERS and ROBIN HOOD types.

From what I've seen of Mythic Legions, I think they have.  At least as far as the S&S part of MotUC goes.  Even in a somewhat different scale, I believe they've been designed to compliment MotUC. 
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

QC: 376

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »

I suppose it's amazing that MOTU Classics has lasted as long as it has.  Originally, it was planned out to be just 6 figures and that was it.  I guess it's been on borrowed time for quite a while.  As you said GARD, the MATTY COLLECTOR site being shut down certainly didn't help.

It may keep limping along for a few more years, but it's gotten totally out of my price range.  At 35 bucks a figure plus shipping, I just can't do it.  I suppose there's always the chance of them doing a less popular character or two that will actually drop in price on eBay.  We've seen it happen.

I just have to have patience.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:23:53 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 01, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »

IF the movie ever happens and it does well, there's still a chance that there may be a non movie retail line of MotU based on the source material.  Simpler packaging, fewer accessories, maybe a C&C piece of some of the monsters, steeds or bigger figures.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  And the movie would have to be a monster hit.  But I'd think there's an outside chance.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 01, 2017, 11:35:04 pm »

GARD, I'm pretty damn pessimistic about a successful MOTU movie.  I could go on and on about why, but maybe another time.  But I agree....if that happened, it would change the whole picture entirely.  There could be both a Movie line and a rejuvenated Classics line.

Sadly, I think the Sword and Sorcery genre had it's heyday in the 80s.  I just don't see a MOTU movie being a hit unless the planets align, and there's a blue moon 5 days in a row.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:27 am »

I disagree about S&S having it's heyday in the 80's.  The LotR/Hobbit films did very well.  A Game of Thrones took everyone by surprise.  Shannara Chronicles did OK in the ratings as well.  And there's a lot of chatter about other S&S novels being adapted for TV.  On both cable and streaming platforms.  These are expensive to produce so it may take some time.  I also fully understand that that does not necessarily sell toys.

I think I'd like to see a MotUC line at retail just to see the Org melt.         
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 02, 2017, 12:35:15 pm »

I think it can go either way.  Both HERCULES movies, JOHN CARTER, and the recent LEGEND OF KING ARTHUR movie didn't do very well.  But you are absolutely right about the other stuff you mentioned.  I guess it's kind of hit or miss.

think.gif  Hmm....it's very interesting that 2 of the things you mentioned were TV adaptations rather than movies.  A few people over on the ORG mentioned how a NETFLIX HE-MAN series would be pretty cool.  I agree that a series is the way to go for lots of properties, as you are able to build and expand on stuff, whereas in movies it's all about chopping, editing, and cutting for time constraints.

Sadly, I can't picture a HE-MAN movie being a blockbuster, but who knows? 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:38:14 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »

Think I suggested the He-Man/Netflix thing a while back.  I'll find it later.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 02, 2017, 05:18:24 pm »

think.gif  Hmm....it's very interesting that 2 of the things you mentioned were TV adaptations rather than movies.  A few people over on the ORG mentioned how a NETFLIX HE-MAN series would be pretty cool.  I agree that a series is the way to go for lots of properties, as you are able to build and expand on stuff, whereas in movies it's all about chopping, editing, and cutting for time constraints.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of Fantasy/S&S book series out there.  Most are not Y/A like Shannara Chronicles.  Some are quite good, others just plain terrible filled with the worst kind of tropes.  Of course the grand daddies are The Rings/Hobbit and Narnia.  I think both could be adapted to TV with a lot of time, money, and attention.  Then there's GoT for a far more adult audience.  And boatloads more. 

HBO isn't gonna fuck up a winner.  This is the first time since HBO stated producing original material that they've even talked about any sort of continuation once the main show is over.  Although there was and Eric/Pam show rumor after True Blood ended.  There could be as many as six spinoffs floating out there.  Doubtful they'd pick up another series not wanting to dilute the GoT brand.  Cinemax prefers to stick with "real world" stuff like Strike Back and Banshee.  Showtime and Starz may not wanna lay out the money required for one of these series.  Showtime kinda took it in the shorts over the last big budget period piece they did.  I still miss Penny Dreadful.  Starz has enough on it's plate with American Gods.

Amazon/Hulu probably don't have the money either.  And I don't see how any basic cable network can afford something like this.  Which leaves Netflix.  MotU would be an amazing train wreck. 

The one I keep hearing is Weaveworld.       
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »

If done correctly, I think a NETFLIX MOTU series could reeeally be cool.  I've said it a million times: I think it needs to be high on fun and swashbuckling.  GARD, I think you mentioned how it should be very tongue-in-cheek, and I couldn't agree more.  Sure, there needs to be plenty of action and adventure, but a minimum of bloodletting. ( Think Star Wars: A New Hope meets The Princess Bride meets The Three Musketeers meets The Mummy 1999 with a touch of Your Highness ) All just my opinion, of course. 

Over on the ORG, some people are starting to flip out over the new, very expensive shipping rates. 

-I didn't complete my pre-order because I'm not paying $41.00 for 8 figures shipped when I was charged $18.00 to ship 9 figures from wave one back in May.

-$41 for me in Kentucky, compared to the $16 "standard" option we had with wave 1.

-It's official. No paypal. These are now on the same level for me as Mythic Legions. Final nail & I'm out.  Enjoy guys.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:23:49 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Boy Wonder
Chase Figure

QC: 88

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »

WTF?!

Yeah, if it's that much, they can fuck themselves
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:27 pm »

Total chaos over on the Org.  It has to do with the SORCERESS and her wings, whether or not she can sit, how she can pose her arms, etc....

I would NOT want to be anybody at S7.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:17:32 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Boy Wonder
Chase Figure

QC: 88

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 15, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »

*grabs a chair*

*grabs a drink*

*reads forum*

*smashes phone*
Report Spam   Logged
KOLOBOSREXX
Evil Master of MOTUC
Variant

QC: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 16, 2017, 03:46:58 pm »

mwaha.gif...Yeah, Super 7 fiinally announced that there would be two sets of wings, extended and relaxed... But then didn't try to clarify whether "relaxed" mean, "relaxed & sitting", "relaxed and folded in front"', or just hangin' down over her arse, lol!   hi5.gif
Report Spam   Logged

..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Convention Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 16, 2017, 03:58:16 pm »

The problem with The SORCERESS is that the cartoon version of her may be one of those characters that you just cannot pull off in plastic form.  Some people want cloth wings, while others hate that idea.  Some want flexible, plastic wings that can work in any pose, but how does S7 pull that off? There's no easy way to handle her, and there's no single way to do her that will satisfy everyone

Now, it's breaking into arguments over FILMATION vs. the CLASSICS style.  It's a mess.  At times like this, I'm glad I'm a Cherry Picker with no desire for this character.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:58:32 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure