Action Figure Blues Forum
July 21, 2019, 04:10:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS THREAD

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS THREAD  (Read 25149 times)
KOLOBOSREXX
Evil Master of MOTUC
Variant

QC: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: October 30, 2017, 05:07:44 pm »

...Here's a FUN Summary of Brian Flynn's latest video interview!! mwaha.gif

Here is a full summary of the video, for those who didn't watch and didn't see the thread that's not in the MOTUC subforum.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ynn-of-Super-7

First 48 minutes:

1. There is a ton of news about the vintage line. Basically, there are efforts to take it to retail. That will delay it by almost a year (fall 2018). He talks a lot about his excitement for it and he hints, quite strongly, that it's a big focus for them because they think it's the only way to bring new customers into MOTU collecting.

2. He talks a lot about design issues for the figures. There's a ton of detail here, but a lot of it isn't all that new or informative (at least in my opinion). I expected his interviewers to follow up on a few things he says, but they do not, leaving some odd hanging points in the air about the PowerCon figures in particular. The gist of it, though, is that they are working very hard to make sure everything is as high quality as possible. He does imply, though, that the PowerCon stuff was the product of deliberate design choices (they wanted the heads to be impossible to remove? I didn't quite understand what he meant in this long discussion). It's an odd part of the interview.

3. They intend for the MOTUC waves to be once a quarter, alternating between CC and CG, for a total of 16 figures a year. So they would like to do 4 CC figures in the spring, 4 CG in the summer, etc. I didn't realize this was their goal.

4. Wave 1 might ship around November 28. Europe will get them first because of airmail. They are done with changes, although they haven't seen Lodar's final armband yet.

5. It's too early to reprint a CG He-Man and CG Skeletor. Others will have to give their opinion, but he seems to imply that MIGHT happen after the vintage figures are released.

Minute 48 on:

1. From minute 47 to about 50, they talk a lot about the fact that Universal owns MOTU and grants Mattel rights to make toys. Honestly, this really lead nowhere and is only of interest to IP attorneys.

2. Minute 51 to 54 he discusses the fact that they have not had discussions on '87 movie figures, but there is a small opening for them. (Modulok talks a lot during this part for some reason.)

3. Minute 55 begins a discussion of Ultimates. He discusses Fisto and he isn't enthusiastic. He won't make them just to save people money. He talks about Shadow Weaver. Again, don't hold your breath. Brian contradicts himself a little in this. On the one hand, he says the Ultimates were supposed to reintroduce people to collecting. On the other hand, he says they won't do figures unless they can do them differently. Weird. I left thinking no more Ultimates, at least not in the near future.

4. He clarifies that the packaging for CC and CG won't change. Modulok talks a lot during this part.

5. Minute 59 is the wave 2 preorder discussion. There will be an email saying the preorder window will stay open until shipping of Wave 1.

He is very clear that the preorder numbers are not great. They are worse than Wave 1.

He believes that the figures as shown at PowerCon would have been fine for the "vast majority of people." However, he wants them perfect. He does criticize people who critique paint apps.

6. Minute 105 begins a long speech by Modulok about how awesome Super7 is.

7. Minute 112 begins a final discussion of the four wave plan. The next wave might be shown by March. Here at this point he says three figures per wave, although I think he misspoke. He also talks about hiring a full time customer service rep.
Report Spam   Logged

..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 30, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »

He is very clear that the preorder numbers are not great. They are worse than Wave 1.

This makes a lot of sense.

A) QC is still an issue   
B) Most people don't want to order Wave 2 when they haven't received Wave 1 yet 
C) They've gotten more expensive

I'm all over the place with this line: I still love MOTU, but CLASSICS are definitely out of my price range now.  The VINTAGE line being at retail is really fun to think about, but it kind of sucks that it's been pushed back a year. 

REXX has said this before, but I get the feeling Brian would like CLASSICS to just die so they can concentrate on the 5.5" VINTAGE line, and all the other S7 novelties.  CLASSICS requires a shitload of attention: The paint apps are more complicated, the molds are more difficult to work with, some people aren't happy with the ULTIMATES, while others want them reissued, and he doesn't want to do that...the list goes on.  Having it disappear would free up a lot of time.

On the other hand, I do kind of like Flynn's thing about reissues: Making them slightly different from the original releases, but not so different that they are unrecognizable.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:49:34 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 30, 2017, 09:41:23 pm »

How the hell are they gonna go retail when Mattel couldn't?  Without a movie, cartoon, or TV show of some kind, I'm not sure how this goes. 

Someone check the Org and see how they're responding to that bit of news. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:04:18 am by Gardner Grayle » Report Spam   Logged
Boy Wonder
Limited Edition

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 31, 2017, 06:00:35 am »

This guy might be worse than Toyguru
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 31, 2017, 07:22:19 am »

Given time, he will be.  No doubt. 
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:28 am »

How the hell are they gonna go retail when Mattel couldn't?  Without a movie, cartoon, or TV show of some kind, I'm not sure how this goes.

That is definitely a great question.  think.gif Huh?   We keep getting told that these days, no retail toy line can exist without a tie-in, sooo.....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:09:25 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 02, 2018, 09:43:28 am »

So I’ve been going to the local antique mall for the past couple of years finding various odds and ends from DCUC etc.  He has an extensive toy selection.  The second near complete collection of MotUC MoC has shown up.  Prices vary but he’s always a little high as he bases everything on Amazon prices. 

Are people abandoning ship now that Mattel punted?
Report Spam   Logged
JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 136

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sumbitch.

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 02, 2018, 01:05:07 pm »

I sold a bunch of extra MOTUC I had on Ebay in November. They sold for ALOT. Don't know about the newer stuff, but at least some of the older stuff seems to have a big demand.
Report Spam   Logged

Trend is the Death of the Individual

Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 02, 2018, 01:57:12 pm »

He had Ram Man up for $90.00.  Is that in line?
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 02, 2018, 02:42:07 pm »

That's about the lowest I'd seen him for before the recent re-release w/alt paint apps.  Haven't looked for an original release since then.  Usually I'd see him for about $120+.
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:45 pm »

I think a lot of people abandoned ship when Mattel let it go.
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Boy Wonder
Limited Edition

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 02, 2018, 08:21:48 pm »

What's to abandon? They did everything you could want. It's not like ThunderCats where people are selling them because they don't want an incomplete collection. If you're a fan of these characters, this is the peak.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:52 pm »

Good point, BW.  It's pretty much down to variants and D Listers now.  Many probably thought it was the perfect jumping-off point.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:51:41 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 676

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 03, 2018, 09:33:36 am »

I know I did once I saw the price.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:21 pm »

That's another great point, CHOOCH.  It's hard to remember that they started out at $20 a piece.
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure