Action Figure Blues Forum
August 24, 2019, 05:25:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Losts 70s songs

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losts 70s songs  (Read 708 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2015, 07:07:23 am »

Renaming the thread -- as I'm going to update it from time to time...

As a child of the 70s (and late 60s), I was big fan of bubblegum music. This song certainly belongs to that genre. It only reached #20 on Billboard Charts. A different version from a British group made it to number 1 in the U.K (it's also on Youtube -- with the band performing for 'Top of the Pops', but failed to chart in the States. I heard it several months ago on an oldies channel and recall liking it -- though I had no idea what the title was or who was singing it. I recently purchased a new vehicle that has Sirius XM -- and this was on the 70s channel the other day. It's by a brother/sister act - Mac & Katie Kissoon (though if you can determine what Mac brought to the group in the way of vocals -- you're better than me).

It's very catchy -- as most bubblegum music is -- despite the somewhat inane lyrics. You can almost imagine this as a song playing while Scooby and the gang -- or Josie and the Pussycats attempt to evade a bad guy (loved those musical chase scenes).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:41:01 pm by kcekada » Report Spam   Logged

Harbinger
The Deathbringer
Chase Figure

QC: 32

Base of Operations: The U.S.

"LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:25:55 am »

Dont you know....about the bird?   sign.gif
Report Spam   Logged

"First we crack the shell....then we crack the nuts inside!"
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:41:28 pm »

Dont you know....about the bird?   sign.gif

It's the word!
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:42:42 pm »

Sirius 70s on 7 is becoming a bit of an addiction of mine. Here's a song I never heard before today...

Ffun by Con Funk Shun  Afro

Good Summer song.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »

I was very fascinated to find out that Punk Rock was actually invented by 3 black dudes from Detroit ( aka Motwon ) of all places.  Also, they invented it in the early 70s.  Fucking amazing!
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 731

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:34:53 am »

I can dig it.
Report Spam   Logged

kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:06:36 pm »

I was very fascinated to find out that Punk Rock was actually invented by 3 black dudes from Detroit ( aka Motwon ) of all places.  Also, they invented it in the early 70s.  Fucking amazing!

The opening song is good. So were these guys popular in the punk scene? I really only knew the punk artists that found their way into the mainstream.
Report Spam   Logged
Harbinger
The Deathbringer
Chase Figure

QC: 32

Base of Operations: The U.S.

"LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:34:12 pm »

Aint no rule says black guys gotta just rap or soul. there was a metal band, the name escapes me, who had a black lead singer and the dude was fucking awesome! Good music is universal!
Report Spam   Logged

"First we crack the shell....then we crack the nuts inside!"
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »

The opening song is good. So were these guys popular in the punk scene? I really only knew the punk artists that found their way into the mainstream.

From what I understand, nobody really understood them.  They recorded the album, but no label would sign them.  'Punk' didn't exist yet, and people hated their name.  The masters just sat untouched in the one dudes house for decades.  They have only recently been 'discovered'.  Kind of a shame.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:56:02 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 08:15:56 pm »

there was a metal band, the name escapes me, who had a black lead singer and the dude was fucking awesome! Good music is universal!

It may have been HIRAX....
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 07:12:52 am »

I saw this thread and reminded me of a Mrs. Nerd conversation recently. Mrs. Nerd is the more musically inclined and probably knows more about it than I do about toys, TV and movies put together. I was watching The Big Lebowski and asked if she knew who did the What Condition my Condition Was In song. She didn't and also didn't believe me when I said it was Kenny Rogers. We had to Google it. It is the only time I have done that in anything musically related with her.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »

The internet has been a truly awesome musical resource to me!  Finding out undecipherable lyrics in a matter of seconds has came in so handy!
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 05:22:44 pm »

I saw this thread and reminded me of a Mrs. Nerd conversation recently. Mrs. Nerd is the more musically inclined and probably knows more about it than I do about toys, TV and movies put together. I was watching The Big Lebowski and asked if she knew who did the What Condition my Condition Was In song. She didn't and also didn't believe me when I said it was Kenny Rogers. We had to Google it. It is the only time I have done that in anything musically related with her.

Yeah, that was before he hit it big as a country pop/rock star with Lucille. He was leader singer for a group called First Edition. They had another midling hit named "Something's Burning". I was never a fan of 'Lucille', but did like the Gambler and his duet with Dottie West (Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer).

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:25:51 pm by kcekada » Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:15 am »

Yeah, that was before he hit it big as a country pop/rock star with Lucille. He was leader singer for a group called First Edition. They had another midling hit named "Something's Burning". I was never a fan of 'Lucille', but did like the Gambler and his duet with Dottie West (Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer).

I remember my mom playing some of these on 8-track when we were camping. I always liked Coward of the County.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 09:51:02 am »

Almost Saturday Night

You may have heard this song before -- as a cover by either Dave Edmunds or Karla DeVito (Danny's sister who toured with Meatloaf). But the original version was by none other than John Fogerty. I wasn't aware of the original version until recently -- as it only reached #78 on the top 100 way back in 1975. Hard to believe -- as it's a great feel good song.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure