Action Figure Blues Forum
October 18, 2018, 10:34:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Action figures

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action figures  (Read 3235 times)
OMEGA SUPREME
Mint on Card

QC: -4

Base of Operations: Los Angeles

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2018, 12:08:58 pm »

My point is that Transformers compromise a relatively small part of the action figure community.  And I want to know why?

Well, I can only speak for myself and while I do concede that Transformers is one of the more innovative toy lines ever created, I don't consider them action figures, as I perceive them to be stuck somewhere in between that and model cars. And even though I do have a few Transformers toys in my shelves, I don't think I ever was part of their target demographic.

My point is that Transformers compromise a relatively small part of the action figure community.  And I want to know why?

Well, I can only speak for myself and while I do concede that Transformers is one of the more innovative toy lines ever created, I don't consider them action figures, as I perceive them to be stuck somewhere in between that and model cars. And even though I do have a few Transformers toys in my shelves, I don't think I ever was part of their target demographic.

I agree with your analysis.  I think itís spot on.

How about GI Joe, one of the pioneers of action figures.

Why does one of the originators of action figures not get collected as much by so-called action figure collectors?

Is it because itís too Americana?

Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 230

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »

I agree with your analysis.  I think it’s spot on.

How about GI Joe, one of the pioneers of action figures.

Why does one of the originators of action figures not get collected as much by so-called action figure collectors?

Is it because it’s too Americana?

Probably more since there haven't been any figures on the shelf since the last film.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Errex
Limited Edition

QC: 141

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2018, 12:43:41 pm »

Nothing wrong with G.i. Joe being perceived as "too American" I think. I live outside the USA and never once tought of them being too foreign, as most of the  toy designs oscillated between military realism and openly fantastic toy designs. At most, there were some obvious flag decals on some vehicles, but that never bothered me at all.

I do think that if there was G.I. product on shelves, it would sell well, based on the success of product lines like Marauder Gun Runners and Vitruvian Hacks; however, I also think that Hasbro should commission a good media tie-in to drive the point home, be it a movie or animated series.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:45:34 pm by Errex » Report Spam   Logged

Sit vis vobiscum
Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 230

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »

I do think that if there was G.I. product on shelves, it would sell well, based on the success of product lines like Marauder Gun Runners and Vitruvian Hacks; however, I also think that Hasbro should commission a good media tie-in to drive the point home, be it a movie or animated series.

I suspect we won't see anything new until the next film ramps up.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
OMEGA SUPREME
Mint on Card

QC: -4

Base of Operations: Los Angeles

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2018, 08:13:18 pm »

I suspect we won't see anything new until the next film ramps up.

Yeah, but it will never be as good as this:

I want this to be released to theatres as Hasbro intended in the 80ís.

I want Duke Hauser to become General Hauser.  Duke is the only leader of GI Joe, the Commanding Officer of GI Joe as was clearly stated in Season 1.

I donít like how Duke was thrown away in favor of Flint, outranked by his little brother Lt. Falcon, and his leadership position taken away from him by General Hawk.

I also donít like how Scarlett was pushed into the background by Lady Jaye, and how Flint was given Lady Jaye, and how Scarlett was taken away from Duke by Snake Eyes in the comics.

Itís a disgrace how Hasbro treated Duke, even intending to kill him off in the movie.

Hasbro debuted the GI Joe cartoon with Duke, ans Scarlett as his love interest, and then threw him away like he was nothing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:17:29 pm by OMEGA SUPREME » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure