Action Figure Blues Forum
October 14, 2019, 08:20:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

More Monkey Madness

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Monkey Madness  (Read 313 times)
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:10:10 am »

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=14806

Wow.

Having been vocal at not wanting the WTs included in the DCUC line, I'm not angry since it doesn't directly affect me.  I am very disappointed in Mattel for this blunder, and for how they are handling it.  I understand it's probably impossible to find/trust that all the claims from con-goers that they bought the Twins, but didn't get Gleek, but to remedy this by using ONE site to give the "extra" monkeys away doesn't seem right.  While TNI's shot at Fwoosh being a "small fansite" seemed a bit petty, I'm sure that there are plenty of folks that went to SDCC (and got the WTs and no monkey) that have never heard of Fwoosh and wouldn't know to go there in an attempt to get one of the monkeys they now have.

Not to throw all the blame Mattel's way, and from what I can gather, I know that the con is an insane place to be, but how can a person drop 40 bucks for a couple of action figures and not at least open the box to make sure everything they paid for is there?  Many of us have been burned enough times at a fast-food drive-thru to know better than to leave the area without checking that your fries or apple pie is in the bag.
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501

Westy
AFB Podcast's Adam
Administrator
The Complete Monger

QC: 116

AFB Sewer Tour Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:37:41 am »

I dunno, $40 is a small price to pay to prove your stupidity. People lose a hell of a lot more to nigerian banking scams. God knows how in this day and age, but they manage.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

westy.gif
"There ya go Westy,even named it after you." - FB

Hey,look at your Point count Westy.It's the magic number! westy.gif - FB on West accumulating 69 points.
Freak Studio
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 188

"The Avenging Blue Idiot"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:43:49 am »

Aside from the cheap blow to Fwoosh, I agree with everything they say... I mean, I would have checked if Gleek was in there, but just because I'm too anxious to wait... But all the statements from Mattel said that if you get the WT in the Con, you were going to get the monkey.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:01:39 pm »

"Small fan site". I bet the Fwooshers are loving that.  Cheesy

Three different people I know who were at the con were told by Mattel staff that they were out of Gleeks, and one decided not to buy because of that. I'm not saying that some people may have not been told, but to say that the staff at the booth misled people for the entire time is not fair. Having said that, all reports are that the booth was horribly mismanaged, and it really does bear the question of how Mattel might improve that for the future.
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:06:18 pm »

I like this post in response to someone saying the WT should have had a retail release:

"I guarantee you it would warm the hell out of the pegs if it were released in stores. Maybe a fraction of a fraction of toy collectors give a crap about the Wonder Twins. If characters like Superman and Shazam are warming pegs, which they are in my area, the Wonder Twins would go on clearance in two weeks. Don't overestimate the amount of people who want them. Hell, I'd go so far as to say half the people throwing a fit right now don't even care about Gleek, they just take every opportunity they get to freak out on Mattel."

Not trying to defend Mattel on this as it could have been handled better, but as the guy says above some fanboys just take every opportunity to get hysterical.

Now, make Phantom Girl a con exclusive and I'll go crazy fanboy on their asses, but I'm just sayin'..........
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:17:50 pm »

The "small fansite" remark isn't really that bad, except that it was said in an article on the site.  I've been a Fwoosh member for a few years now, although I'm not really enamored with the site.  Plenty of things to beef about with them as far as how they run the site, but I think personal feelings about other sites should be kept to the forum areas of the site, not aired out in your "News" area. 

The entire ordeal could have been handled better by Mattel, first and foremost, and the fans and fanboys later.  Mistakes happen, and this whole monkey business has been a clusterfuck from the start, but collectors need to get a grip.  It's just toys.  That said, much like Andy, I'd be pissed if something like that had happened with a figure I had a strong interest in.  I just don't think I would go apeshit like some folks have done.

Maybe   Grin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:30:15 pm by bigraj » Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:25:35 pm »

At the end of the day a company can do what it wants with it's product. I think making the Twins an exclusive was a good choice as they definitely would have pegwarmed at retail and I dare say they wouldn't be as hot as a general mattcollector 2-pack release. A good portion of people will want them just because they're exclusives. The Gleek thing is a bit of a low blow, but again, that's their call.

The reality is, if they ever released my dearest characters like that, I would bitch about it but still end up paying the piper for it. I certainly wouldn't waste pages on vitriol.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 731

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:51:50 pm »

Hopefully this is a dent in the whole 'exclusives' idea.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:26 pm »

It's just toys. 

That's exactly it.No matter what our existences won't come to an end if we can't get something.

Yeah its been handled badly and i can understand the disappointment but move on people.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:44 am »

Just had a bit of a poke around and seen a lot of the agro from some people at a couple of Sites aimed at the Fwoosh which is a damn shame.
I agree with you Raj that choosing one Site to remedy this is not the best choice of action by Mattel but i can't blame the Fwoosh for taking up the offer.Any other Fansite wouldn't have knocked it back either if they were chosen.
Just a shame that this is turning into an unnecessary flamewar over a plastic Toy.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:23:28 am by FB » Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure