Action Figure Blues Forum
June 24, 2017, 05:17:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Valiant: Should they make action figures?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valiant: Should they make action figures?  (Read 208 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 705

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 10:58:59 pm »

That is a pretty depressing thought, but I guess it is what it is. 

Oh I'm not thrilled either. But seriously, what person under thirty has even heard of Doc Savage?
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Online Exclusive

QC: 362

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 11:12:18 am »

You guys are right.  I guess there's pretty much no chance of that stuff happening until 3D printing becomes commonplace.

Even if the DOC SAVAGE movie gets made and is a hit, it wouldn't have a toy line.  Even if it did, it would only be movie versions.  Plus, that wouldn't mean any other Pulp characters would get made.

Sigh.... Tongue
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:27:26 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1123

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »

I still think there may be a wave or two of pulp characters possible.  As I said, Red Sonja, Shadow, Lone Ranger/Tonto, Green Hornet/Kato, Tarzan and maybe a few more. 

So what does this have to do with  Valiant?  Wink Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 05:04:02 pm »

One thing I do not understand is why Conan, by far the biggest name pulp character doesn't have a figure line.  McFarlane made little plastic statues.  Toy Biz made a pretty amazing Conan in LCBH.  Basically nothing since then except Vikor in MotUC.  Dark Horse does the comics.  Why no figures?  Kull and Solomon Kane come to mind too.
Report Spam   Logged
derekwc
Online Exclusive

QC: 140

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 10:15:54 pm »

I was sad the whole Vonner Valiant thing never materialized. But then it seemed that was going to be it's own little scale, which may have been annoying.

Also, the whole Gold Key vs. strictly currently published by Valiant today thing would be sad.

But, if these Bat In The Sun productions films generate interest, I would be into 6 inch Valiant guys. I would just be sad, no Solar, Magnus or Turok.

But Rai, X-OManowar, Bloodshot, Ninjak, Shadowman, The Visitor, Harbinger, etc. would be cool.

What do you guys think of the few statues they've released?
Report Spam   Logged

History Of Comics On Film - Bringing the history of Comic Books from TV and Film to You!
http://hocof.blogspot.com/

Fanholes Podcast - A pop culture podcast, For The Fans, By The Fans!
http://www.fanholespodcast.blogspot.com/
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:48:16 pm »

Not really into statues.  But I think any up and coming comic publisher needs to make some merchandise.  Be it T-shirts, hoodies, action figures or statues/busts. 

I'm with you on the Gold Key issue.  I just don't see how it works now being that Dynamite is essentially a license farm.  And they rarely lose/give up one.  Having said that, the right wording in a contract and enough 0's on a check can work wonders in terms of reaching an "accommodation".  Particularly if Dynamite has no designs of their own to produce a line of action figures.  So I guess if an accommodation can be reached, Solar, Magnus, and Turok would have to be specific to their looks while published by Valiant.  No diverging.  But there are at least two versions of Turok from Valiant/Acclaim that I'm aware of.  One is very close to the Gold Key look.  The other is based on a comic based on the Turok video game.  There was actually a three figure wave of barely articulated Turok figures in roughly six inch scale from the late 90's.  Based on the game.     
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Online Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 10:55:18 pm »

One thing I do not understand is why Conan, by far the biggest name pulp character doesn't have a figure line.... Dark Horse does the comics.  Why no figures?  Kull and Solomon Kane come to mind too.

Good question. 

And I would definitely buy KULL and SOLOMON KANE.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 02:35:43 am »

One thing I do not understand is why Conan, by far the biggest name pulp character doesn't have a figure line.... Dark Horse does the comics.  Why no figures?  Kull and Solomon Kane come to mind too.

Good question. 

And I would definitely buy KULL and SOLOMON KANE.

If I'm not mistaken, the people at REH Properties are douchebags.
The ownership of Bob Howard's works has a sad legacy. The people who have ownership now have zero connection to the man himself. They basically lucked into it.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:45 am »

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing that as well.  It's a shame. 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 11:27:32 am »

I'm with you on the Gold Key issue.  I just don't see how it works now being that Dynamite is essentially a license farm.  And they rarely lose/give up one.  Having said that, the right wording in a contract and enough 0's on a check can work wonders in terms of reaching an "accommodation".  Particularly if Dynamite has no designs of their own to produce a line of action figures.  So I guess if an accommodation can be reached, Solar, Magnus, and Turok would have to be specific to their looks while published by Valiant.  No diverging.  But there are at least two versions of Turok from Valiant/Acclaim that I'm aware of.  One is very close to the Gold Key look.  The other is based on a comic based on the Turok video game.  There was actually a three figure wave of barely articulated Turok figures in roughly six inch scale from the late 90's.  Based on the game.  

After looking into this a bit, all these Gold Key characters are owned by NBCUniversal.   So Comcast.  Pretty big wrinkle for producing merchandise.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Online Exclusive

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 12:07:54 pm »

I'm not a statue person.  They usually look fantastic, but are just too expensive.  I've often wished that companies would also make smaller, affordable plastic statues.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:19:35 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 01:38:44 pm »

Same boat.  They're expensive, tough to store, and take up too much space without doing anything.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 06:22:14 pm »

I'm not a statue person.  They usually look fantastic, but are just too expensive.  I've often wished that companies would also make smaller, affordable plastic statues.

There's tons of stuff out there in varying scales.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 09:39:10 am »

https://www.creativecomicsandcollectibles.com/licenses

Shocker claims to have a license with Valiant.  Sure. 

From all I can see, Valiant is a first class operation that is not going to risk their reputation on a sketchy bunch of motherfuckers like this. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Convention Exclusive

QC: 512

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 07:20:18 pm »

Yikes.  I certainly hope they didn't cut any deals with him.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure