Action Figure Blues Forum
July 17, 2018, 04:37:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

TRU facing banksruptcy?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRU facing banksruptcy?  (Read 295 times)
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 77

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:32:08 pm »

so I've read, something that they are hiring a law firm to manage their debt or something or will have to file for bankruptcy.TRU isn't really my favorite toy haunt,but I will be sad if we lose another toy store like children's palace,family toy warehouse and kay bees in the past. Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"

Social Buttons

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 606

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »

The net result probably won't be a complete loss, but they may double down on the more profitable Babies R Us's.  My old home town once had 3 TRUs.  The lost one and the other changed to a Babies R Us.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 724

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:52:49 am »

I'd like to understand what the TRU Suits think is the reason people are switching to online purchasing instead of bricks and mortar?
I could suggest my reasons, but I wonder what they think?
Report Spam   Logged

spider-ben
Pegwarmer

QC: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:01:05 am »

I like some of the selection at Toys R Us, but where I live the store has been standing here forever and it always feels dead and looks run down.  Not only that, but everything costs more. Lower prices, increase foot traffic, and carry stuff people want. That helps  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 384

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »

I like some of the selection at Toys R Us, but where I live the store has been standing here forever and it always feels dead and looks run down.  Not only that, but everything costs more. Lower prices, increase foot traffic, and carry stuff people want. That helps  Smiley

That makes perfect sense.   exactly.gif

I buy 100% of my toys online.  Why?  Because for the past 10 years, anytime I go to WALMART, TRU, or TARGET, I strike out.  Either they don't have a particular wave stocked, or if they do, they never have the character I want.  NEVER.  My wife loves me, but she's not going to be happy with me driving from one shopping center to the next just to look for a damned action figure.

There has to be a reason to go to a brick and mortar store in the first place!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:44:11 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Not Fitting in and Being Weird Since Birth
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1145

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 09:36:32 am »

Don't have a link, but on the official Toys R Us Facebook page, they've made some rather cryptic comments.  Like "Going on a little vacation", and "stay tuned for the next chapter".  WTF?  This combined with the seasonal "pop up" toy stores that will be opening from KB and Party City, and the Supreme Court decision that etailers can be required by states to charge sales tax, we could be looking at a new Golden Age of toy buying competition.  Wal-Mart and Target don't carry everything and Amazon may not be as attractive if you have to pay sales tax.   
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 12:55:40 pm »

I hope so, GARD!!  I never thought of it that way.  I would love for something to be a big ol' shin kick to Wal-Mart.  It's not like a tiny bit of competition in one department would drive them out of business.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:58:43 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 01:47:27 pm »

Wally's doesn't bother me.  Amazon kinda does.  That Bezos guy looks like he wants to take over the world. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 09:13:22 pm »

I don't think pop-up stores will give Amazon any worries.  I'm all for more places to find toys.  I hope there's a chain that picks up some of the stuff that only TRU stocked.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:57:51 am »

Me too.  And sorry, I wasn’t suggesting that pop up stores will hurt Amazon.   Just that a potencial sales tax on internet purchases might.
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 77

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 01:52:10 pm »

I just wonder with tru gone will WM and Target step up their game with regard to their toy depts ? There’s got to be an empty void there.
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 02:14:17 pm »

Good question, PTB.  There are metric tons of toys and collectibles out there that neither store carry.  A dude over on the ORG said he heard something about TARGET starting to have an Adult Collectible section that's completely separate from the toy section.  For example, that might be where they would stock those upcoming Vintage style MOTU figs if they decide to carry them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:19:12 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 02:43:24 pm »

Target has something like that today in the Video Game section and then some limited by theme in books.  They could step that up, but would it be worth their time?
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »

And that is also a good question, CHOOCH.  I would love to be able to walk I to a retail store and actually see stuff I want.  But are we worth it?  It would be totally different if the internet and e-commerce didn't exist.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure