Action Figure Blues Forum
December 14, 2017, 04:44:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Best Marvel Legends Hulk?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Marvel Legends Hulk?  (Read 473 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 180

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:58 am »

Definitely the FO Hulk.

That's a great classic Defenders. I only wish a good classic Valkyrie had been made -- and that we'd get a 6-inch Nighthawk finally. Thought we were close when Hellcat got released, but nothing is apparently in the works!
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 76

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:29:57 pm »

yeah,considering the defenders of today are Jessica jones,daredevil,iron fist and cage  Roll Eyes bet I do predict a nighthawk  by the end of next year.(a gargoyle BAF would be icing on the cake).
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 716

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 04:08:05 pm »

FISH, It's ridiculous that you were banned for pointing out an actual comic book fact, but we all know how 'sensitive' some of these boards can be. 

SPIDER-BEN made a good point about the artists.  Do you guys ever look back at some of your 90s comics?  Jesus....it was the decade of drawing heroes with pin heads, bulging veins, and ridiculously massive bodies.  Soooo much excess!!

Like I just mentioned in the Marvel thread, there used to be a continuity person at Marvel that kept things aligned. That includes things like the height of characters. Remember when Marvel and DC used to produce those character sheets for artists to reference? It showed you exactly how Peter Parker's hair should be drawn so that he looked like Peter Parker. Remember the John Byrne one that showed that The Thing is only 6' tall, but very wide. Now artists "have license" and the Hulkis always 10' tall just because it's "teh awesome" to draw him imposing.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 377

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 04:49:47 pm »

Like I just mentioned in the Marvel thread, there used to be a continuity person at Marvel that kept things aligned. That includes things like the height of characters. Remember when Marvel and DC used to produce those character sheets for artists to reference? It showed you exactly how Peter Parker's hair should be drawn so that he looked like Peter Parker. Remember the John Byrne one that showed that The Thing is only 6' tall, but very wide. Now artists "have license" and the Hulkis always 10' tall just because it's "teh awesome" to draw him imposing.

You guys remember the MARVEL UNIVERSE series back in the 80s?  They were basically comic book encyclopedias.  I learned 95% of what I know about characters from staring at those for hours and hours.  Nowadays, as FISH said, it's basically up to whoever is writing or drawing a story.  You want SPIDER-MAN to pick up and throw a greyhound bus?  Just do it.  You want Logan to be 6'5"?  Just do it.  Now, it's all about movie versions, video game versions, and Marvel Wiki.

Total thunderdome. cuckoo.gif
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:56:28 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 06:27:35 pm »

You guys remember the MARVEL UNIVERSE series back in the 80s?  They were basically comic book encyclopedias.  I learned 95% of what I know about characters from staring at those for hours and hours.  Nowadays, as FISH said, it's basically up to whoever is writing or drawing a story.  You want SPIDER-MAN to pick up and throw a greyhound bus?  Just do it.  You want Logan to be 6'5"?  Just do it.  Now, it's all about movie versions, video game versions, and Marvel Wiki.

Total thunderdome. cuckoo.gif

I love those series. I've read them again and again and even enjoy the binder versions they did much later too. I have this weird habit of picking up single issues of OHOTMU when I see them in dollar bins, etc, because I'm conscious of how ratty my old ones are and want to replace them so it's not unusual for me to have duplicates and triplicates of some issues.

Remember when the only heroes to have Superhuman Class 100 strength were Thor, Hulk and Silver Surfer? Even guys like Abomination and Juggernaut were less. Now they're giving out Class 100 ratings like hot breakfasts.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 555

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:25 pm »

My yardstick was the old Marvel Super Hero game from TSR.  Thor had Unearthly strength.  Hulk did too, but could get up into Shift X when angry.
Report Spam   Logged
spider-ben
Pegwarmer

QC: 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 08:40:39 am »

Remember when the only heroes to have Superhuman Class 100 strength were Thor, Hulk and Silver Surfer? Even guys like Abomination and Juggernaut were less. Now they're giving out Class 100 ratings like hot breakfasts.
[/quote]

I remember reading an issue that displayed stats and showed that characters like Spider-Man and Colossus were at the same strength class. This was over 20 years ago when I was in grade school so unfortunately I can't recall which issue it was. I know that at that time the X-Men animated series was in full swing as well as the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and I was in disbelief that they were at the same power level.  In Colossus's first guest appearance he brought down an entire building on a construction site and Spider-Man can barely lift a Volkswagen.  Apparently they weren't portrayed at the same strength level for very long despite it being printed in the comics.
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 185

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 11:31:20 am »

I remember reading an issue that displayed stats and showed that characters like Spider-Man and Colossus were at the same strength class. This was over 20 years ago when I was in grade school so unfortunately I can't recall which issue it was. I know that at that time the X-Men animated series was in full swing as well as the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and I was in disbelief that they were at the same power level.  In Colossus's first guest appearance he brought down an entire building on a construction site and Spider-Man can barely lift a Volkswagen.  Apparently they weren't portrayed at the same strength level for very long despite it being printed in the comics.

Wow.  I've seen early appearances of Spidey where he was shown to have superhuman strength, but nowhere near Thing-level.  Haven't read any early Colossus appearances to have seen him around Spider-Man's strength level.  I thought he was always just below Hulk/Thor level.  I liked the OHOTMU stuff, and the trading cards from the early-mid 90s were a big help, as well.  Typically they "set in stone" what the characters' sizes and power levels were, even though some stats got adjusted occasionally. 
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 377

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 12:54:00 pm »

Very interesting, guys. Thumbs Up 

The last I knew, SPIDEY had a bench press of 10 tons, and COLOSSUS had one of around 80 tons or so, but who knows nowadays?   And yes, there were not a lot of characters with Class 100 strength, but hell....LUKE CAGE probably has that at this point. 

Does anybody remember when mutants were all the rage, so MARVEL made the FALCON a mutant?  Is he still a mutant, or did that concept get dropped?

Nothing is what it used to be.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:49:23 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 03:01:54 am »

LUKE CAGE probably has that at this point. 

Luke Cage used to be 2 tons. Spidey was 10 tons. Colossus from memory was 70 tons.

What made Venom superior to Spidey was that Eddie Brock was, as a physical specimen much stronger than Peter so he was 11 tons.

Abomination was 95 tons to keep him under the Hulk's 100 tons.

What put the big 3 over and above the others, was that the Surfer could call on the power cosmic to push him over and above 100. Thor had his girdle of giant strength, and the Hulk....he just got madder.
Report Spam   Logged

bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 10:08:22 am »

What made Venom superior to Spidey was that Eddie Brock was, as a physical specimen much stronger than Peter so he was 11 tons.

I always hated that explanation, simply because Peter was stronger than Brock long before the symbiote came about, despite Brock being physically larger. 
Report Spam   Logged

spider-ben
Pegwarmer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »

Thanks for all of the great info. It appears the overwhelming consensus is the Face off version of Hulk.

Next question - Toy Biz Legends Galactus or Hasbro Marvel Universe Galactus??
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 08:15:03 am »

Next question - Toy Biz Legends Galactus or Hasbro Marvel Universe Galactus??

MU Galactus is taller and bulkier, and is more impressive in a display, though neither one is in proper scale with ML figures.  ML is based on the classic look, while MU is based off of an updated look, complete with GIGANTIC head-piece.  The update doesn't look too different from the classic look, and is the more impressive presence in a display, and hasn't had any color-changing paint that I've noticed, so I'm going with the MU version. 
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
The Complete Monger

QC: 555

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:49 am »

Close enough that I'd say go with whichever is cheaper.  My favorite is the Toy Biz one from the 5" days with the giant drill:

http://www.toynoize.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/gala.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
spider-ben
Pegwarmer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:37 am »

I actually have that one with the drill!  It's in a tote at my parents' house with a sentinel and the spider slayer and Crime Central from the Spider-Ma cartoon from the 90s. Great stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure