Action Figure Blues Forum
December 16, 2017, 03:14:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Punisher (Netflix) ** SPOILERS**

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Punisher (Netflix) ** SPOILERS**  (Read 77 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 716

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:54:14 pm »

Wow! Just WOW!

This show sucks ass.

After such a promising intro in Daredevil with some cool nods to the comics and some good action sequences (such as the prison) Netflix completely fucks it up.
I've seen just 10 of the 13 eps and so far the Punisher is not the Punisher. There's no black outfit, no prominent skull, no shooting the hell out of mobsters, etc. I thought this show would set up the mythos that is Frank Castle. You know, like when he walks into a room and the baddies see that skull and piss themselves. Instead, it's a guy getting around in jeans and a hoodie. There's endless digression into shit like Micro's family (don't care), the female Homeland Security Agent and her partner (don't care), the young Punisher wannabee (don't care), a major shift to the origin of Billy Russo....and other stuff I don't care about. It wouldn't surprise me if at the end he moved to Georgia, changed his name to Shane, became a sheriff and started porking his partners wife.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 02:24:04 am »

Thumbs Up, the homeland Security stuff has me just about out the door and I'm only in ep 3.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:44:36 pm »

Thumbs Up, the homeland Security stuff has me just about out the door and I'm only in ep 3.

Cheesy

Well I've finished it and it doesn't get any better.
Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 224

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »

I liked it.

Most of the comics I remember reading he was going about in civies until he was ready to take folks out. This played on that for me.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:56:13 pm »

I liked it.

Most of the comics I remember reading he was going about in civies until he was ready to take folks out. This played on that for me.

I felt like it contributed nothing to the mythos that is "The Punisher". Instead I almost thought it was a prequel until Karen made an appearance.

How can they create a Punisher TV series and only have him with the skull logo for a total of 25 minutes out of 13 episodes?
Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:31:11 am »

I liked it.

I felt like it contributed nothing to the mythos that is "The Punisher". Instead I almost thought it was a prequel until Karen made an appearance.

How can they create a Punisher TV series and only have him with the skull logo for a total of 25 minutes out of 13 episodes?

I'm okay with it. Mrs Nerd liked it as well. Because they didn't push the logo, it felt much more real world, less comic book to me, so I'm guessing more accessible to the masses.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »

I liked it.

I'm okay with it. Mrs Nerd liked it as well. Because they didn't push the logo, it felt much more real world, less comic book to me, so I'm guessing more accessible to the masses.

This is where I'm a self-entitled fanboy. I picked up the mini-series off the shelf in 1986 and basically haven't missed an issue since. I want my Punisher on screen. I don't care about the masses.
Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:14:35 am »

This is where I'm a self-entitled fanboy. I picked up the mini-series off the shelf in 1986 and basically haven't missed an issue since. I want my Punisher on screen. I don't care about the masses.

This is why you collect comic accurate statures and I'm buy movie style action figures. Cheesy

For me this is top 3 of the Marvel series. Jessica Jones and Daredevil S1 round out the top 3. Order varies by day/mood.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 377

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:59:37 pm »

Here's my take: After Castle finished off the two gangs, he thought he was done.  He didn't really know what to do with himself, and had no plans to continue as The Punisher.  This was sort of a second origin.  He found out the true reason his family died and dealt with it, not really feeling he was still in 'Punisher' mode. ( not saying that makes sense )

I think after deciding not to let Russo kill him, Castle wholly became the Punisher.  If there are more seasons, or any guest appearances, there is absolutely NO REASON for him not to wear the skull all the time.

That's just my opinion on the writer's vision.  I could be wrong.  It could be they just hate costumes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:59:15 am by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:05:25 am »

Here's my take: After Castle finished off the two gangs, he thought he was done.  He didn't really know what to do with himself, and had no plans to continue as The Punisher.  This was sort of a second origin.  He found out the true reason his family died and dealt with it, not really feeling he was still in 'Punisher' mode. ( not saying that makes sense )

I think after deciding not to let Russo kill him, Castle wholly became the Punisher.  If there are more seasons, or any guest appearances, there is absolutely NO REASON for him not to wear the skull all the time.

That's just my opinion on the writer's vision.  I could be wrong.  It could be they just hate costumes.

I can buy this.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 03:20:56 pm »

Of course they hate costumes. They're silly things from comic books.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 377

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 04:00:46 pm »

This kind of stuff sometimes makes me wish that something else would become popular and let comics fade back into 'obscurity'.  The more popular the Super Hero/Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre become, the more they get watered down, washed out, and just plain Hollywood-ized.  It's the same reason I prefer underground rock music.

Not everything that goes mainstream is bad, but I think you guys understand what I mean. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:02:52 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure