Action Figure Blues Forum
January 19, 2018, 08:56:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Happy New Year! Six weeks to New York Toy Fair! Whatdaya wanna to see!?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy New Year! Six weeks to New York Toy Fair! Whatdaya wanna to see!?  (Read 404 times)
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 379

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 09:13:07 pm »

Anybody interested in Lynda Carter WW, 90s TV Flash, and Val Kilmer Bats??  30 bucks a piece kind of sucks.

I wonder who else they'll do?  Reeves Superman?  Keaton Bats?  Smallville characters?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:14:53 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1139

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 09:55:54 pm »

Not interested.  Hard pass.  Not comic accurate.  Price isn't an issue because I want nothing to do with it.   
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 562

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 10:23:17 pm »

Not my gig.  Even if it was, $30 is a hard sell.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 10:32:01 pm »

$30.00 has to be some serious value added.  Like Chief from the Doom Patrol with a wheelchair that fires missiles or something.   
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 718

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 12:13:24 am »

Marvel Legends - I realise that the future lines will be driven by redos and MCU related stuff, but I just want that assurance that every wave will have that Eel, Batroc, Radioactive Man, Cobra, etc. Something that keeps the classic comic fans from drifting away. I don't care what, just give me more comic universe builders.

Star Wars Black - Keep doing what you're doing. really digging the vehicle love. I got the Landspeeder and it's fun. Looking forward to the Dewback. Here's to a Bantha and eventually a Snowspeeder. Oh and finish the Bounty Hunters and more aliens from the Mos Eisley cantina.

Sideshow - Their recent "12 Days of Sideshow" was mostly a repetitive loop for me with the announcement of new Supes, Wondy and Bats premium formats before giving us a Flash or Martian Manhunter. Very disappointing. Highlight was a new Daredevil.

Mezco - I'm not buying a lot of the 1:12 line, but I'm cherry picking and I really want the line to continue and expand into other licenses. I'd love to see them do pulp characters since no one else is looking like doing it in this scale. Their Popeye is a hint they're thinking outside the box.

DC - Eh? I just don't care anymore. whatevs.

....I lied. I do care what Marvel Legends they do. I want Jack of Hearts.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »

HASBRO: Constrictor...Deathlok...Cottonmouth...Cobra...Paladin...Eel...Red Guardian, etc....

DC: How else can we do Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman?

Don't get me wrong.  ML isn't perfect, and neither was DCUC.  But you cannot deny the variety they offered.  True, Legends is doing lots of rehashes right now, but they still keep throwing curves to keep Oldsters interested.  WB, on the other hand, decided they didn't like the word 'Classic' and practically gave up.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:33:47 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 718

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 02:32:16 pm »

HASBRO: Constrictor, Cottonmouth, Cobra, Paladin, Eel, Red Guardian, etc....

DC: How else can we do Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman?

So I know those obscure characters like Kamandi were peg warmers and while they made the ageing classic fans happy, it didn't amount to register sales for Mattel.
But I often wonder with all that demographic info Mattel has about their buyers, what they think is the lifespan of a 'buyer'. Do they presume that a 10 year old will go mad for Supes, Bats and Wondy, but you can put those on a rinse and repeat cycle every XX years because ten year old Johnny will have moved on to girls and saving for his first car by then and they're targeting a new buying audience by then?
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 02:36:16 pm »

Damn good question, Fish. think.gif

I'll be the first to admit that I could be wrong.  Maybe they do great by focusing on the Big 3.  But like I always say, I find it ironic that we had more DC variety before there were a bunch of DC TV shows and cartoons out.  Kids that never touched a comic know a lot of B List characters from 'toons and games.

But maybe B and C Listers just aren't worth bothering with?  I mean....I hate Pop music, but I'm not the demographic so it doesn't matter.  I honestly dont know anymore.  It was easier when Geek Culture wasn't mainstream.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:52:49 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 03:17:15 pm »

But I often wonder with all that demographic info Mattel has about their buyers, what they think is the lifespan of a 'buyer'. Do they presume that a 10 year old will go mad for Supes, Bats and Wondy, but you can put those on a rinse and repeat cycle every XX years because ten year old Johnny will have moved on to girls and saving for his first car by then and they're targeting a new buying audience by then?

To be fair, moving away from that mindset is what brought comics from newsstands to the direct market, to a shrinking market where specialty stores are having trouble surviving.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 04:54:11 pm »

So I know those obscure characters like Kamandi were peg warmers and while they made the ageing classic fans happy, it didn't amount to register sales for Mattel.

It's my contention that Marvel/Hasbro/Disney and DC/Mattel/WB know exactly who we are.  They know that Marvel Legends and Multiverse figures are, for the most part, not being sold to children.  If that were the case, then there wouldn't be somewhat smaller, less detailed, and less expensive figures from both companies available.

But the nature of the decision making process as to what characters get made and in what format is very complex and political.  And at the end of the day, money needs to be made.  Lawyers need to be paid. 

I think the difference is that Marvel Legends collectors are a little more "low maintenance".  MLs goes back nearly 20 years now and the fans are in a good place.  Comfy in the choices being made.  Confident that something really cool is just around the corner in the next wave.  Folks willing to spend money and have a more open mind in terms of character selection.  There seems to not be as many single character collectors in the MLs ranks. 

DC action figures suffer from the curse of Georg Brewer.  Once he got the rights to Batman and Superman, nothing else much mattered.  Georg passed that on quite successfully to Mattel.  DC fans seem to be cheaper.  Not as willing to spend $$$.  We are at each other's throats over lineups, era, costume selection, etc.  Never satisfied.  Impossible to please.  I hated Super Friends and Super Powers.  Still do.  I dislike sharing the line with TV/movie characters.  Nothing to be done there.  We're in another era now.  And there are a shit ton of DC collectors who are specific to one character/family.  I don't get it, but it's a fact. 

Plus, there are lots of corporate hoops to jump through (from both companies) that we'll never know about.  Furthering the frustration.  Where's my Ikaris and Killraven?  Or my GA Mr. Terrific and Johnny Thunder? 

I'm just gonna make the best of it until it's not fun anymore.  Ray and Vixen help make it fun for me.  For now.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 04:02:04 pm »

Very interesting points, GARD.

What you said about the difference between the types of buyers made a lot of sense.  I am the exact opposite of a lot of DC collectors.  I remember over on the old DC board that was connected to the DC comics site where a lot of people only collected Superman, or Batman.  Or they only collected pre-90s era stuff, but no Golden Age, or just whatever. 

We're not an easy demographic to market to because 500 of us have 500 entirely different Wish Lists.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:07:24 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 07:51:38 am »

I'm as guilty as the next guy.  Especially when DCUC was in it's heyday between 2008-2011.  But my views have changed a little since then.  As has my wishlist.  I think I'm a bit more open minded.  I've also come to realize that the DC (comic) Universe runs on two things:  Legacy and the Multiverse.  I want my collection to reflect that.       

I'm not gonna buy TV/movie/game/toon stuff.  I'm not gonna buy whole waves if I don't want the C&C.  But I will give any comic accurate Multiverse figure some consideration even if I don't buy it.  I'm not a completest, but Rebirth may change that. 

Whatever Mattel does with Multiverse, I want it to be interesting.  But everyone has their own definition of interesting.   
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »

Never any need to feel guilty about what you like or dislike GARD.  Hell....I have some of the weirdest taste there is.  I mean...who in blazes would buy STALKER, CRAZY QUILT, MASTER JAILER, and CALENDAR MAN!??

But above all, I've always loved variety.  Go ahead and do rehashes, but please mix in some random stuff.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:15:50 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:17 pm »

Love to see Stalker.  Not much on the crazy old villains though.  Wink

And I’ve got like three different wish lists all for the same line.   Grin  But what I’d like and what I expect are two different things.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 04:26:35 pm »

Calendar Man screams make a toy of me.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: