Action Figure Blues Forum
December 17, 2018, 01:01:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Rob Liefeld and Extreme Studios go to Netflix

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rob Liefeld and Extreme Studios go to Netflix  (Read 185 times)
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1148

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2018, 06:11:00 pm »

http://deadline.com/2018/03/deadpool-rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-netflix-film-deal-1202320054/

When you find out that Youngblood and Prophet aren't part of the deal, it's a lot less interesting. 
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 729

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:09:27 pm »

They obviously haven't read Rob's work.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »

Obviously.   Grin

But something is going on that's a little odd to me.  Netflix has clearly had good success with comic properties.  The Marvel stuff alone has brought a whole new demo to the service.  But Marvel is now dead to Netflix.  While these five/six shows are stuck on Netflix, no more will be forthcoming.  Any other new shows will be on Disney's own streaming service.  DC can't fill in because of the DC streaming service. 

So now we have Millarworld, Umbrella Academy, and Extreme Studios.  Netflix seems to be relying heavily on comic properties for future content.  I guess they don't see the coming glut. 
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 640

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:09:49 pm »

To be fair, the premise behind something like Bloodstrike is solid.  It's all in the eXecution.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:57 pm »

To be fair, the premise behind something like Bloodstrike is solid.  It's all in the eXecution.

Glad you didn't say Bloodwulf. The execution with that is a big steaming turd.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 10:29:30 pm »

But again, the marquee properties like Youngblood, Prophet, and Avengelyne are at other studios. 

Makes me wonder about Supreme and Glory.  Neither of which were members of Youngblood.  And Alan Moore killed it on Supreme.   
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 185

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 06:42:31 pm »

Leifeld's properties are not the way to go!

I don't care what Moore did with Supreme -- I have no interest in watching knock offs of Superman and Wonder Woman.

If I was Netflix and wanted comic book properties -- I'd look for quality, not crap. The 80s had some great Indy stuff -- Nexus, Whisper, DNAgents that would transition well to TV screens.

I can't see myself ever subbing to DC or Marvel specific material though, not long term any way.

Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 09:15:06 pm »

I hear you and agree.  But Liefeld will forever have the title of creator of Deadpool.  Thatís all these Hollywood dipshits need to know.  Plus, they made a multi picture, multi property deal negotiating with one person.  Too easy.

As to your point, yes, there are dozens, if not hundreds of creator owned properties from the 70ís, 80ís, and 90ís that could make great TV shows and movies.  But many of them are probably locked in development hell.  Others with little name recognition that civilians canít glom onto. 

As the Marvel/DC movie/TV glut gets worse, Iíll be checking out more of the indie type stuff as long as itís on cable/streaming and not a network.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:30:36 pm by Gardner Grayle » Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 640

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 11:06:51 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how Brigade works without Youngblood to be kicked out of.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:46:09 am »

By taking vast liberties with comic properties.  As they always do.  How else?   Wink

And while the rehabilitation of Rob Liefeld is kind of a shock to us comic fans, he has a huge amount of cache` amongst the hoi polloi.  Creator of Deadpool.  Professionally, he can live off that forever. 

Personally, I've never read a comic with Deadpool as the star/title character.  Have not seen the movie.  Won't watch the cartoon.   
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 185

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:50 am »

Personally, I've never read a comic with Deadpool as the star/title character.  Have not seen the movie.  Won't watch the cartoon.   

I've never read a comic, and won't watch a toon version. But I was drawn to the film based on the strength of the trailer -- and enjoyed it a great deal. I don't doubt that Deathstroke was the inspiration, but if Leifeld came up with the 'merc with a mouth' concept -- than props to him for that.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 04:47:06 pm »

I really enjoyed the Deadpool movie, but I also have zero Deadpool comics.  I look forward to the sequel, but I have no plans to start reading Deadpool.

Hollywood must really think that any and all comic book-to-TV-or-Movie concepts are like striking oil.  Jesus....there is sooo much of this stuff!  I'm really looking forward to TITANS, but none of what we are talking about here interests me.  And I'm expecting more and more stuff to NOT interest me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:51:05 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Not Fitting in and Being Weird Since Birth
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 09:41:24 am »

I've never read a comic, and won't watch a toon version. But I was drawn to the film based on the strength of the trailer -- and enjoyed it a great deal. I don't doubt that Deathstroke was the inspiration, but if Leifeld came up with the 'merc with a mouth' concept -- than props to him for that.

He does deserve props.  I'm not gonna take it away from him, but almost everything he does is some sort of knockoff or homage of some other hero or concept.  Truth is, I never thought of Deathstroke as an inspiration until you mentioned it.  I just thought "obnoxious Punisher".   
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:27 am »

I can't see myself ever subbing to DC or Marvel specific material though, not long term any way.

The thing with Marvel is that any sub will be a Disney sub.  Which would also include Star Wars and a whole lot more.  Even ESPN content will be available for sub with extra features.  Personally, probably not interested.

For DC, it seems (right now anyway) that the sub will be DC only.  Some original content and I assume lots of older shows, cartoons, movies, etc.  If this is that case and I can get it through an app on my cable box (same as I get Netflix), I may consider the DC sub.  And it needs to be less that 10 bucks/month.     
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 08:23:35 pm »

Given Hollywood's need to de-comic everything comic related so that costumes are watered down, etc, I just don't see what the attraction of Liefeld's stuff is? Every single thing he created is a blatant rip-off of something existing, he just dressed them worse.

If period stuff is getting a good wrap on TV such as Ripper Street, Peaky Blinders to Black Sails and Penny Dreadful, then why not try something with the Shadow? Even Doc Savage?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure