Action Figure Blues Forum
June 19, 2018, 01:15:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

DC and Mattel 2018: 15 years together. Time to go away or relaunch?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC and Mattel 2018: 15 years together. Time to go away or relaunch?  (Read 1554 times)
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1145

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:59 am »

But we will get another comic accurate line again at retail.  At some point.  I thought we were done in 2014.  2016 shocked me when a handful of comic figures made it out.  I'm not willing to make any predictions on when, but it will happen.  I'm just pretty sure it'll be along the lines of whatever is occurring in the current DC comics.  Truthfully, I'm fine with that.

I guess it depends on your definition of comic accurate line. If it only includes the same icons again and again -- with only a smattering of B and C listers -- then why bother -- especially if it's another short-lived line? Some people will buy Superman and Batman again and again. That's fine, but that ain't me.

Maybe they will give it another try when they finally get around to a new comic line when they finally release new JSA and Legion books -- and determine whether or not new characters like Damage have any, ahem, shelf-life.

I guess I should give some perspective to my pseudo prediction.  I do think we'll get another all encompassing line.  Like DCUC.  Only not classic.  Modern.  Again, I don't know when this will happen.  I just know it will.  We may all be in retirement homes except for Boy Wonder by that time. 

IF it happened to be announced this afternoon at some Mattel press conference, then yeah, it would be Rebirth/Metal/Doomsday Clock/New Age of Heroes.  And whatever is coming up.  Maybe even Sandman U figures.  Damage would therefore be a good C&C candidate. 

But no, I'm not talking about another Big Guns line.   
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 09:03:46 am »

And speaking of Damage, I'd like the original too please.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

QC: 384

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 10:40:53 am »

I used to be able to rattle off loads of DC figures that I wanted, but I'm so bummed out anymore that I don't even know what I want.  It's like listing celebrities that I'd like to have sex with....why bother because it's not going to happen!!  Haha!

OK....DC action figures aren't exactly that much of an impossibility, but it almost feels like it.  90s Tim Drake Robin should be easy....but it's not because now, there have been like....20 Robins with 60 costumes.  Connor Hawke Green Arrow ain't happening.  Bronze age Legionaire's ain't happening.  Warlord is a pipe dream.  Shining Knight?  I don't think so.  Cowboy Vigilante?  Nope.  Fishbowl Mr. Freeze....Classic Pied Piper?....Fuck that noise.  There's just sooo much that wouldn't work.

Just give me Frankenstein and I'll shut up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:50:19 am by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 12:21:19 pm »

I think that contributes to my attitude.  Because the truth is, there are even New 52 figures Id buy like Frankenstein.  As well as the other Creature Commandos from that Agents of S.H.A.D.E. series.   nU 52 OMAC is another.  Justice League Dark is in the mix too.  I...Vampire is one Id love too. 

Rebirth certainly doesnt bother me.  New Age of Heroes Id be all over.  Gimme the Dark Batmen.  Im not married to classic at all.  I still love to get some more though.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 183

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 01:04:57 pm »

I used to be able to rattle off loads of DC figures that I wanted, but I'm so bummed out anymore that I don't even know what I want. 

Who do I have to bribe, sleep with, threaten, etc. to get a new Legion boxed set -- that comes close to at least completing the classic team (through Dawnstar)?  We all know that set would sell out as an SDCC exclusive -- that became available online after the con.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2018, 02:30:46 pm »

The ironic thing is that there are more than enough costume variations and eras to keep a Comic Accurate line going for years.  They ( Mattel? ) could have Big Guns to anchor nearly every wave and not run out.  Then, just mix in some B and C List characters for a nice, wide variety.

But it wouldn't happen like that.  I don't know how the line would be set up, but the variety would not be there.  Or the costumes would somehow be 'wrong'.  Or they would be in 5" scale.  There would absolutely be something 'off'.  Maybe they'd give them all a muddy paint wash like early Marvel Legends.  Haha!

GARD, please don't get me wrong.  I don't want to convert you over to the dark side.  I like chatting with somebody who actually believes in a DC line.  I don't want to just talk all cynical and bummed out trash talk with 5 other guys who feel as negative as I do.  I want to be wrong about this!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:26:26 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2018, 10:39:26 pm »

The ironic thing is that there are more than enough costume variations and eras to keep a Comic Accurate line going for years.  They ( Mattel? ) could have Big Guns to anchor nearly every wave and not run out.  Then, just mix in some B and C List characters for a nice, wide variety.

But it wouldn't happen like that.  I don't know how the line would be set up, but the variety would not be there.  Or the costumes would somehow be 'wrong'.  Or they would be in 5" scale.  There would absolutely be something 'off'.  Maybe they'd give them all a muddy paint wash like early Marvel Legends.  Haha!

Naw.  The folks that would be in charge of this at Mattel are smart enough not to switch scales.  They've had the same basic scale for fifteen years.  I don't see any reason for them to change it. 

As for big gun variants, you really only need five.  Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash.  I could go broke just buying Speedsters. 

GARD, please don't get me wrong.  I don't want to convert you over to the dark side.  I like chatting with somebody who actually believes in a DC line.  I don't want to just talk all cynical and bummed out trash talk with 5 other guys who feel as negative as I do.  I want to be wrong about this!!

No worries.  I'm a bit cynical about this, I just try to not be too negative.  At least not all the time.  I actually hope my positive outlook may help others sometimes. 

But again, my outlook is affected by my open mindedness toward modern figures.  Or even Multiverse (comics) figures.  I'm probably one of the oldest active posters here now that Mike has gone largely radio silent.  But I became a DC fan at a time when things were changing and I rolled with it.  Another classic line would make me very happy.  Then again, so would a Rebirth line with Metal, Doomsday Clock, and New Age of Heroes mixed in. 

I pretty much quit reading both Marvel and DC in the 90's.  But I'd still buy a ton of 90's stuff including Conner Hawk, Impulse, Monarch, Bloodlines, original Damage, Hourman (from the series), Hitman, the Cast of Starman, and more.  I quit DC again with New 52 and still there are figures from then that I'd buy like Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos, and the Justice League Dark.  JLD would get us Black Orchid, Amethyst, and Shade the Changing Man.  As I've said before, I'd buy Aqualad or Tempest.  Or both. 

An open mind toward character selection is the key to not getting too cynical.  Now if they'd just make some stuff and get it to the shelves.     
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 06:32:55 pm »

There's no question that I lean towards Bronze Age looks with both DC and Marvel.  It's not just that I love that era....I truly prefer the looks of those costumes.  A huge chunk of Modern stuff is made to look more 'realistic': Buckles, straps, zippers, more a look of heavy leather, muted colors....I legitimately prefer the sillier, brighter colored spandex look.

If I like a Modern costume, then I'm all about seeing it in plastic.  Like I've said...I LOVE that Rebirth Jay Garrick FLASH.  I'd probably buy the Signal.  The latest Green Arrow garb is totally acceptable.  But I can't buy what nobody makes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:42:18 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2018, 07:57:11 pm »

The end of the Bronze Age is where I came into DC.  Crisis on Infinite Earths made me into a life long DC fan.  That was the tail end of the BA.  In the summer of 1986 came Man of Steel #1 vol 1 and Superman got a reboot.  Then Batman, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Green Arrow, and others followed.  I guess that's why my costume preferences are so fluid.  I'm more about the character than the costume he/she is in.  But the thing is, I'd like some consistency where the manufacturing is concerned.  If you're gonna make Aqualad, then make a compatible Speedy, Robin, Kid Flash, and Wonder Girl.  If you're gonna make Tempest, then make the compatible Nightwing, Troia, Arsenal, and Wally Flash.  Stop mixing and matching.  Apply that to any team in the DCU.     

Having said that, if any more LSH gets made, I would prefer BA versions because I loved the Levitz/et al Legion from 1982-1989.  If we ever got a full on BA All Star Squadron lineup of GAers, I'd die a happy collector.     
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 08:31:33 am »

Who do I have to bribe, sleep with, threaten, etc. to get a new Legion boxed set -- that comes close to at least completing the classic team (through Dawnstar)?  We all know that set would sell out as an SDCC exclusive -- that became available online after the con.

Still kicking myself seven years later for not buying a Legion set.  Just looked on eBay.  $500.00 for a loose set.  I doubt I'll ever own one now. 

But if it were up to me, I'd go for the original lineup up to Blok, Tellos and Quislet. 
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 03:16:16 pm »

Not to be an annoying whiner, but I only ever wanted Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy, and the Karate Kid.  It's frustrating as hell knowing that they were made, they look great, and I can own them if I'm cool with paying like....50 bucks a piece.  Ugh.

Also, I would have loved Polar Boy, Chemical King, Blok, and a handful of others. 

Oh well....it is what it is.  In the end, I still have waaay more 'Haves' than 'Wants' and that's a good thing.  Plus, you never know what can happen down the road.  I literally have dozens of figures of characters that I NEVER thought would see plastic.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:27:36 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2018, 08:59:10 pm »

That's true.  Mattel could go out of business tomorrow and I've got a bunch of figures I love that DCD/DCC never thought about making.  Although I've got a wish list of existing figures that fluctuates between a dozen and three dozen characters (including the LSH set), the drop dead number I need is only three.  If Mattel/DC packed it in, I'm good. 

The Legion got the short end of the stick almost like the Titans.  Tyr was the first Legion figure made and he was the Super Powers version, not the comic accurate version.  It was also in a Wal-Mart exclusive wave.  The very next wave had Validus.  He was the C&C.  The LSH set was essentially a Mattycollector Gofundme.  Thom Kallor/Starman/boy was Club Infinite Earths sub.  And a semi appropriate Supergirl that goes all the way back to DCSH, later rereleased in a two-pack with armored Lex Luthor.  Can't say they didn't add a degree of difficulty for Legion fans.  I just hate it that I missed the box set and it turned out so fucking good. 
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 07:21:17 am »

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=93231&sid=421c58372ea2fba351d737699a6ec55e&start=8085

Scroll down a bit. 

It appears that I'm a little bit right and a little bit wrong.  I don't know if this is an actual relaunch or not.  It is certainly a change in direction.  Original Kyle Rayner, KC Superman, Impulse, Lobo, Balent Catwoman, and Batman Beyond.  No Rebirth.  No New 52.  No New Age of Heroes.  All pre Flashpoint.  This is a decidedly 90's wave.  Classic, at least depending on your POV.  Cherry pick mode has me buying KC Superman and Impulse.  Wouldn't take much to push me to get the wave.   

No verification so far.  But supposedly, these pictures comes from a Mattel Facebook business group.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:51:22 am by Gardner Grayle » Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 183

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 07:52:25 am »

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=93231&sid=421c58372ea2fba351d737699a6ec55e&start=8085

Scroll down a bit. 

It appears that I'm a little bit right and a little bit wrong.  I don't know if this is an actual relaunch or not.  It is certainly a change in direction.  Original Kyle Rayner, KC Superman, Impulse, Lobo, Balent Catwoman, and Batman Beyond.  No Rebirth.  No New 52.  No New Age of Heroes.  All pre Flashpoint.  This is a decidedly 90's wave.  Classic, at least depending on your POV.  Cherry pick mode has me buying KC Superman and Impulse.  Wouldn't take much to push me to get the wave.   

No verification so far.  But supposedly, these pictures comes from a Mattel Facebook business group.   

Well, that is somewhat shocking -- in a good way!
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
The Complete Monger

Ex-Robin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 01:16:11 pm »

Holy flerking schnit!!  Could it be??  Is it possible??  Somebody actually wants to make comic accurate DC figures??  And from the 90s to boot!!

Not a sign of a TV or video game figure!!  Let me cross my fingers and start rubbing a rabbit's foot.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:24:49 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure