Action Figure Blues Forum
December 14, 2018, 04:10:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

SDCC 2018: You know the drill. Predictions and wild @$$ speculations welcome!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDCC 2018: You know the drill. Predictions and wild @$$ speculations welcome!  (Read 332 times)
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1148

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:37:16 pm »

Hasbro/Marvel Legends steals the show again. 

Marvel Comics will disappoint.

Marvel Movies are not coming.

Super Seven will keep struggling.

DC Comics will blow us away.  If you're still into modern comics that is. 

Does DCC still exist?

DC Movies will impress.  More info on Aquaman, and some info on Shazam is coming. 

Mattel Multiverse:  I just don't want to be too disappointed this year.  The wave that was announced at the end of SDCC 2017 on AFI (Luthor wave) might be out by the end of the summer.  I cannot believe how slow they are.  I stick with this line because it's literally the only figure line I collect.  I want to know where Kid Flash and Beast Boy end up and if that 90's wave is true.  The SDCC exclusive would indicate that "Classic" may also be on the table again.  I'd love to see some more comic accurate Aquaman figures.  Maybe some comic accurate Shazam figures too.       
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 729

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:25:42 am »

I'm really kinda over MCU Marvel Legends. I'm hoping with the gap between films we see some solid ML waves of comic accurate figures.
With Ant-Man 2 next month and Cap Marvel in March 2019, that only leaves Venom in October. The ML Venom wave is entirely comic themed so hopefully we get a few more waves before Hasbro feel the need to tie in a wave to Cap Marvel. I really want to see them close some gaps with Alpha Flight, New Mutants and X-Factor.

I'm disappointed that Sideshow have felt the need to start redoing characters they've already done in their premium format line. Announcing we'll be getting Mystique, Emma, Rogue and Psylocke.....again is pretty shitty when we're still waiting on Iceman, Angel and Beast. Not even a hint of Nightcrawler or Kitty. I guess the reverse of action figures is true.....female statues sell.

I'm still waiting on a pulp line. Here's hoping Mezco's 1:12 Popeye sells well enough for them to pursue The Shadow, Doc Savage, Zorro, Tarzan, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Boy Wonder
Limited Edition

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:42:07 am »

For ML, hoping to see at least one figure between classic versions of Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and Vision. Plus Man Ape and some classic Avengers baddie like Nefaria or Graviton.

Star Wars, Count Dooku. Please.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 05:30:17 pm »

You know me, FISH....I could do without ANY Movie or TV figures showing up....ever!!  I just want some nicely sculpted, comic accurate, never-been-done-before surprises.  

*KOFF* Shroud, Shang-Chi, Swordsman, Crossfire, Ringmaster, 3D Man, Count Nefaria *KOFF*

MARVEL PATRIOTS boxed set:

-BUCKY ( 2 heads....neutral, and angry w/ open mouth )
-PATRIOT ( World War 2 Jeffery Mace )
-BATTLESTAR
-CAPTAIN AMERICA ( Isaiah Bradley )

How cool would that be?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:34:40 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Not Fitting in and Being Weird Since Birth
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 640

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:38:29 pm »

If Captain Marvel is in March, my guess is her wave will be the "first" of 2019 that actually comes out in late 2018.  We really only get pure comic waves when the movie license is with another company.  I'm hoping X-Men get more waves with less Deadpool next year.  I love me some DP, but I've had my fill for awhile.  Some more Liefeld-era X-Forcers like Domino with headgear, Siryn, Cannonball, Boom Boom, Warpath, or Feral would help that team.  You could throw in a Cable variant to anchor.  More Peter David 90's X-Factor to go with Multiple Man would also be welcome.  I wonder if they'll do a retro-wave of the X-folks since they were way more popular than the Marvel Super Heroes line.

I suspect we'll get just a few hints of the Fall of Cybertron line from Transformers with more to trickle out over fall cons.

DC Multiverse will show one or two more lines that we'll wonder if we'll ever see.

Star Wars Black will show a half dozen interesting figures that will get trickled into waves willy-nilly until next year's SDCC.

I'm hopeful for a few comic-based Marvel Minimates waves between all of the movies next year.  There's another spot we could use a handful of Liefeld X-Forcers to finish a team off.  The lack of TRU will hurt them, especially with some of their non-Marvel licenses.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 11:29:04 pm »

Hmmm....DCC will probably announce a new line of stylized DC action figures in an exciting new scale!

Seriously though, I don't have any real predictions....other than S7 possibly announcing the end of Classics so they can focus on the 5.5" Vintage line and the Filmation line.

Good call, CHOOCH.  I really want me a bulky, musclebound WARPATH in red and blue.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:44:10 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:42:14 pm »

I'm hoping we see some Funko BATMAN '66 stuff.  I read a while ago where this line wasn't quite done yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 12:16:36 am »

SD Comics, feel free to post ANYTHING if you're still around!
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 640

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 01:02:32 am »

Okay, I'm finally at a real computer (see my San Diego thread in the general section).  Here are my thoughts:

Minimates:

Marvel Minimates move to Walgreens from TRU: I have a better shot at getting these personally since I have more Walgreens around than I ever did TRU.  The Avengers of 1,000,000 BC might be fun, but not exactly what I'm jonesing for.

Star Wars Black:

Bespin Leia and Moloch being Target exclusives is a bit of a bummer, but they should be findable.  Zuckuss becoming a Disney Store exclusive is also a bit of a bummer.  Too damn many exclusives.

Bespin Han being regular packed is good news.

Val, Rio Durant, and L3-37 coming in short order is a good idea.  No waiting for Bodhi like with Rogue One.

Imperial Patrol Trooper is sharp looking, but no bike?  He literally was only off his bike in the movie whilst falling to his death.  I'd rather have him with his bike and Enfys Nest on her own, but to each their own.

General Veers as a Walgreens Exclusive is fun, love the snap-on armor.

Ezra and Chopper down leaves just Zeb.  Best for last I guess.  Chopper as a single fig is no bueno, but about what I expect at this point.  He looks great though!

Marvel Legends:

$100 for a re-release Sentinel is too much, even with that improved DoFP Logan.

Ant-Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, and Vision all seem like solid upgrades of classic figs in the tribute wave, a Scarlet Spider and Black Panther that were just released seems silly.

The rushed Black Panther Wave 2 is a pass since it's all movie figs.  If they had some more variety I would seriously think about it, but two more Black Panthers with minimal changes and Papa Panther is too much filler for me.

Modern Symbiote Spidey seems a necessary evil, but new Red Goblin and Silver Sable are welcome.  I like the modern Black Cat costume and take on the character so she's welcome as well.  Kingpin looks bad ass enough that the other two boxes could just have his build-a-jowls and I'd get them.

Skullbuster looks awesome, but makes me want more Reavers.  Blink looks great and is overdue with their 90's focus.  An updated Gambit is welcome.

Prof. X in his hoverchair is also overdue and damn if I don't want Deadpool and buddies on their scooter.  Curse you Hasbro for making me want more DP.

Magick being more available is awesome.  She's been a part of multiple teams in that uniform now.

AIM Troopers!  Love them.  I'd rather have two beekeepers, but beggars and choosers.

Re-release Archangel seems weird, but as others have said, he was hard to find.

Modern Hercules look spectacular and I welcome sober-Herc.

I love having a Genis-Vell, but I would have much preferred his easier to make long standing costume.

DC Multiverse:

Losing Simon Baz from the Armored Lex wave blows.

Batman Beyond is an upgrade, especially if he gets wings as rumored.  KC Superman is okay, but in my head canon only because of his time in the JSA.  Kid Flash finding a home is great.  GL Kyle Rayner gives me enough wood to penetrate Alan Scott's constructs.

Black Canary looks great.  GL John Stewart is good for building a new-buck Justice League.  Wally Flash is overdue.  Starfire and Nightwing are great team builders.  Ninja Batman and Kabuki Joker make me sad, but they do look amazing.

Hawkgirl looks great for the Justice League.  Katana's outfit is kind of bland, but is nice for what it is.  Flashpoint Aquaman seems unnecessary.

Hopefully Baz, Powered-up Ray, and Beast Boy find ways to be released.

With Mattel laying off 2200 employees I wonder if these will get enough attention to be released.

Transformers: War for Cybertron: Siege

My only complaint here is that the cybertronian modes look too earth-like.  By which I mean too many wheels.  They shoulda been hover cars.  Aside from that, the introduction of micromasters plus classic G1 characters in cybertronian alt modes is allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll win.

Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 729

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 05:01:55 am »

Very underwhelming year for me.

The highlight were the new pieces from Sideshow, with the obvious one being the Rogue Maquette. However, the increased international shipping costs and the introduction of 10% import tax has made me a bit more cautious.

Marvel Legends were okay I guess. I know newbs are champing at the bit for Gambit, but I'm an old collector and the one I have is fine. The Highlight for me was Kingpin. I normally grizzle over "redos", but I didn't know I needed a new one until I saw the photoshoot on Toyark. The Spidey reveals were otherwise a mixed bag, don't care for Black Cat or symbiote variant #17, but Silver Sable was a welcome reveal. I need to accept that I'll probably down for at best half of each wave from now on. Skullbuster is cool, but I want some assurance from Hasbro that they're looking to give us Bonebreaker, Pierce, etc. Please just finish some existing teams!!

I'm trying to get excited for Mezco 1:12, but the 18 month lead time is ridiculous.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:10:32 am »

Basically satisfied DCUC lives on (in spirit).  But as I've suspected for over a year, Rebirth is now definitely in the house.  Character selection could be broader, but I do understand it.  Mammoth was a nice surprise.  Don't know if I'll be doing all the upgrades, but that Nightwing is pretty sweet.

I've got a better feeling about the DC streaming service. 

Some interesting DC Comics projects were confirmed.  Geoff Johns personal imprint sounds fun.

DC movies look to be headed in the right direction.

DCWTV Arrowverse pushes me further away.

MCU no showed this year. 

Marvel Legends was kinda underwhelming to me.  Not that I'll buying any. 

Did Super Seven show any new MotUC?  Not that I'm buying that either. 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/24/geoff-beckett-jr-toy-business-partners/
And then there's this little jewel. 
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »

At this point, I am mostly about NBDs, ( Never Been Dones ) be they Marvel, DC, or just whatever.

Marvel Legends, DCC, and Mattel DC didn't show anything that knocked my socks off.  I only saw about 2 or 3 figures that I truly wanted, as opposed to years ago when I would see at least a dozen!

I don't have a lot of faith in Super 7's MOTU, plus they aren't really doing any characters that I want. 

I kind of liked the Diamond Star Trek Movie versions of Kirk and Spock.  Damn sharp looking!

All in all, I guess I've moved on to a new phase where there just isn't that much that I want.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:45:15 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure