Action Figure Blues Forum
May 21, 2019, 09:38:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Captain Marvel

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 865 times)
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 05:30:34 pm »

I don't quite buy Larson as Carol Danvers. But the same can be said for the guy who plays Captain America.

That said -- I tend to like these individual characters films better than the overarching Avengers films.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 06:26:13 pm »

It was okay.

Haven't gone to see a Marvel film in the theatre since, Ant-Man (I) I think. Last superhero film I saw was Aquaman. I am a Carol Danvers fan, but I don't think Marvel has handled the character well in the time since she became Captain Marvel. And that has been quite evident with the number of times the publisher has rebooted her series.

I will guess that the general audience will judge this film less harshly than we comic book veterans. The story plays very fast and loose with comic book history -- going as far as gender bending Mar-Vell -- I guess in an attempt to make Danvers' evolution to hero not dependent on any male contributions. This is the part of the film that really irked me.

Another problem I had was the Skrulls -- especially Telo with his Australian accent. Aside from his appearance, everything else is so typically human. It just didn't work for me.

Larson is adequate. Her girl next door looks will probably win over a younger female audience. I would have preferred someone like Charlize Theron -- who has a commanding presence that I feel the role required. Coulson was unnecessary, but the younger version of Nick Fury did add some character dimension to the movie.

Jude Law was very interesting -- and had a great presence in his scenes. I'm not too familiar with Yon Rogg, but I don't think Law's version is evil. His role probably is close to that of comic book Mar-Vell's.

Danvers doesn't really bloom into her Captain Marvel -- or should I say -- Binary powers -- until near the end of the film. The credits call out Kelly Sue Deconnick and David Lopez (I think that's his name) as being instrumental to the film, but I feel it owed more to Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum -- since her powers are clearly based on Danvers' time as Binary. Again, though, the general public will not be aware.

There has been much talk about the scene-stealing cat. I won't say too much about - but it does have some of the best moments in the film.

As the credits rolled, I still didn't comprehend why the film was set 20+ years in the past. I know what Marvel/Disney was trying to do, but it just felt so heavy-handed.

This is no Wonder Woman. It's fine as a female-led super hero story, but that's about it.
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 78

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 07:51:08 pm »

I have the same sentiments for the film as kcekada
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 04:58:30 pm »

Mrs. Magnet and I just came back from seeing it.

We enjoyed it, but I found that the movie was at it's best when Fury or almost anybody else was sharing a scene with Carol.  On her own, she can be a little bland.

SPOILER:

I think they need to make a life size toy/prop of the Happy Days lunch box with a tesseract
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:06:00 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 10:47:34 am »

Watched it on Saturday, and enjoyed it.  Not quite as good as the best Marvel Studio flicks, but still a lot of fun.  Loved young Fury.  Not sure what happened to the youngifying tech when it came to Coulson, though.  I liked that Jackson carried the load as far as humor went.  Larson was good at doing much more subtle things to get a few giggles, like blowing the hair out of her face.  The Rambeaus were great characters.  Didn't care for the twist with the Skrulls, though there's plenty of time in other movies to fully flesh them out.  Fun intro to the character, and it connects to the next Avengers flick.  I don't think it's necessary to watch Captain Marvel before seeing Endgame, but it's still good quality stuff, so why wouldn't you? 
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 730

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2019, 04:10:29 am »

The Skrull twist was poor.
Report Spam   Logged

darthfoley
Variant

QC: 38

Burned.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 07:59:55 am »

I liked the movie quite a bit.  I'll admit I know next to nothing about the character or the Kree/Skrull war, but I kept looking at the screen like

as the Skrulls became the 'good guys'.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 666

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 09:43:09 am »

I think good isn't what they were going for.  Like most war movies, it was an anti-war movie.  In this case one group on one of the sides was tired of war.  Talos admitted he wasn't a good person.
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2019, 12:19:34 pm »

The Skrull twist was poor.

I saw that coming way back when -- when Danvers said that the Kree were heroes.
Report Spam   Logged
darthfoley
Variant

Burned.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2019, 04:44:19 pm »

I think good isn't what they were going for.  Like most war movies, it was an anti-war movie.  In this case one group on one of the sides was tired of war.  Talos admitted he wasn't a good person.

Hence the 'good guys'.  They are certainly in this movie meant to be more sympathetic, though.  My impression (again, as someone not familiar with the storyline in the comics) has always been the Skrulls were viewed as the 'bad guys' by the Marvel heroes.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 10:58:38 pm »

Yeah, that was definitely a purposeful twist. Movies are their own thing though so short of a complete betrayal of a character I'm happy to enjoyng them on their own merits.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 03:12:03 am »

Hence the 'good guys'.  They are certainly in this movie meant to be more sympathetic, though.  My impression (again, as someone not familiar with the storyline in the comics) has always been the Skrulls were viewed as the 'bad guys' by the Marvel heroes.

Both Kree and Skrulls have always been villains, the former through force, the latter through subversion.
Report Spam   Logged

darthfoley
Variant

Burned.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 11:05:31 pm »

Both Kree and Skrulls have always been villains, the former through force, the latter through subversion.

Interesting.  I guess I never really got the impression of the Kree being villains from the periphery.  Maybe it's because of the Super Skrull and reinforced with the Secret Invasion stuff that I had the Skrulls as the bad guys in my head.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2019, 08:50:57 pm »

Mar-Vell rebelled from the Kree, IIRC.  And the Supreme Intelligence was always a dick.  Ronan was always played with a sense of nobility though.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 12:21:10 am »

Mar-Vell rebelled from the Kree, IIRC.  And the Supreme Intelligence was always a dick.  Ronan was always played with a sense of nobility though.

Yeah, the SI was always so high and mighty, almost supreme!! A same they couldn't have somehow worked his comic book look into the film, but Hollywood do make everything better  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure