Action Figure Blues Forum
December 17, 2018, 01:15:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Shang Chi movie coming

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shang Chi movie coming  (Read 71 times)
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 78

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:52:12 pm »

So this is in development.marvel is looking for a director with Asian descent as well.What legends could Hasbro make? Doubt if they will do another iron fist.
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:23:09 pm »

Man, I hope they get this right.  I love Shang-Chi, and he has been on my Legends Wish List since ML got started.  I used to always vote for him.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:26:24 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Not Fitting in and Being Weird Since Birth
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 640

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »

Fu Manchu build a figure!
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 185

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:23:13 pm »

Could a proper classic Mantis make it way into a wave or is that racist?!

Leiko Wu would be okay, but I doubt she'd even have been on my top 500 of wanted charactesr.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:29:36 pm »

This is a great chance for a full on martial arts wave.  Sons of the Tiger, comic Mantis, classic White Tiger, Razorfist, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 78

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 06:06:54 pm »

heh,well talking to my lcs owner today about the movie I always thought Chi was pronounced "shy' but it's "she" apparently lol.
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »

Since we'll be getting reeeeally cosmic and spacey, I'm all for some street level, no-frills, yet highly exciting and action packed martial arts action.
Report Spam   Logged

kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 185

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:49:42 am »

And if it's successful, it would be nice way to introduce a kickass Iron Fist -- instead of the hippy dippy Netflix version. Street level could be huge on the big screen! And with Marvel, street level is rarely without the meta stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 729

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:34:49 am »

Let's see how diversity goes with this one.
Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 10:07:39 am »

It’ll be an Asian actor no doubt.  Just not burnt orange.

I’m curious how Fu Manchu will be handled.  He’s public domain which means he’s not owned by Marvel which makes him tough to license.  And he is a terrible (and dated) stereotype.  I guess you could retcon Yellow Claw in in place of Fu Manchu, but again, same stereotype.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 10:25:58 am »

I think they'll ditch the stereotypes entirely.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 10:30:49 am »

Let's see how diversity goes with this one.

With this or maybe even Captain Marvel before this happens they won't see the dramatic impact and $ that Black Panther had.  Anything less will be deemed a failure by some and used by the anti-diversity folks as "proof" it doesn't work.  The studios of course will be happy with making hundreds of millions of dollars and they will continue as long as it is profitable.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:57 am »

Hopefully, they handle Fu Manchu better than they did Mandarin. 

After alien invasions and Civil Wars leading to Infinity War type bigness, I really look forward to something that's much smaller in scale.  That's not to say that a movie about Shang-Chi can't be epic, of course.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:09:32 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 12:47:00 pm »

Diversity for the sake of itself is going to fail.  Itís gotta be a good movie whether the lead is male, or female, white, black, brown, or yellow.  Wonder Woman was fantastic and set the bar pretty high.  I think we all need to remember how many action movies have female leads, and how many of those were successful monetarily.  Reality has to hit at some point.  Check box diversity is a dead end.

As far as what to do with Shang-Chi, the original series was steeped in James Bond-esque spy stuff.  I hope they go with that.  Give us a Fury Cameo.

And as far as diversity goes, we donít have any kid leads as yet.  Power Pack or Nova/Sam Alexander would do nicely.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:07:38 pm by Gardner Grayle » Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Bronze Age Robin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 01:45:43 pm »

Diversity for the sake of itself is going to fail.  Itís gotta be a good movie whether the lead is male, or female, white, black, brown, or yellow.  Wonder Woman was fantastic and set the bar pretty high.  I think we all need to remember how many action movies have female leads, and how many of those were successful monetarily.  Reality has to hit at some point.  Check box diversity is a dead end.

So true, GARD.  One of my all time fave movies is "The Long Kiss Goodnight".   What about the Western "Bad Girls"?  Howzabout "The Quick and the Dead"?  "Kill Bill!"  Mrs. Magnet and I both really enjoyed "Alias" years ago, and "Atomic Blonde" was awesome.  People definitely forget that women don't always just scream and get captured in movies.  You're totally right about forcing it.

On top of that, I'll wager that most of the people screaming about wanting diversity have never read a comic book, where there have been smart, super powerful, leading women for decades.

As far as what to do with Shang-Chi, the original series was steeped in James Bond-esque spy stuff.  I hope they go with that.  Give us a Fury Cameo.

Great ideas.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:25:13 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure