Action Figure Blues Forum
March 22, 2019, 01:12:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

More MATTEL Problems

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More MATTEL Problems  (Read 1076 times)
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2018, 10:11:59 pm »

Hey guys, I just copied and pasted this.  I thought you might be interested.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mattel-goldman-20181224-story.html

Mattel's stock falls after it loses licensing rights for some DC Comics toys

Mattel Inc. shares’ losing streak continued Monday after the toymaker lost the licensing rights for certain DC Comics products, including boys’ action toys, and Goldman Sachs analysts cut their estimates for the company.

Toronto-based Spin Master Corp. will be the new licensee for DC in the boys’ action category, remote control and robotic vehicles, water toys, and games and puzzles, displacing El Segundo-based Mattel. The three-year global agreement with Warner Bros. begins in spring 2020. Mattel will keep some of its licensing rights, including for preschool and girls’ toys, Goldman analyst Michael Ng said in a note to clients.

In October, Mattel reported gross sales of $303.9 million of its partner brands, including DC Comics, for the nine-month period that ended Sept. 30. That was a 15% decline from the same period last year. Mattel partially attributed the loss to lower sales of DC Comics girls’ and boys’ products.

Ng expects Mattel to “aggressively pursue” new licenses, noting that Hasbro Inc.’s licenses to Marvel and Star Wars toys expire in 2020.

In the meantime, investors may be watching the box office, where this weekend’s top performers included Warner Bros.’ “Aquaman,” based on the DC Comics character, and Hasbro’s new Transformers film, “Bumblebee.” The two movies helped propel the weekend receipts to the highest level in a month. “Aquaman” was the top performer.

Mattel shares, which were already trading at an 18-year low, dropped an additional 3.1% on Monday. The stock has lost nearly 40% of its value this year; the Standard & Poor’s 500 index, meanwhile, has lost about 12%.

The company reported net income of $6.3 million for the quarter that ended Sept. 30, compared with a loss of $603.2 million during the same quarter last year. But Mattel’s quarterly sales of $1.4 billion missed analysts’ estimates.

In July, the toymaker said it would cut more than 2,200 jobs as part of a $650-million cost-cutting plan announced last year. Like its industry rivals, Mattel has struggled to bounce back from the demise of Toys R Us this year.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:16:49 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:34 am »

Here's the terrifying bit of this for me:

"Ng expects Mattel to “aggressively pursue” new licenses, noting that Hasbro Inc.’s licenses to Marvel and Star Wars toys expire in 2020."

Um, no thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 656

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 08:08:32 am »

Indeed. Keep Mattel far away from the lines going gangbusters. Now, will Spinmasters be interested in 6" comic figs? Can they even pull that off?
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:07:46 am »

Been seeing this story since Sat/Sun.  There are many questions and concerns.  Personally, I really wanna know what happens with the comic accurate side of things. 

But here’s a dose of reality:

Warner Media/AT&T need someone to competently make movie merchandise.  Wall Street and Hollywood are watching.  Comic, TV, and game figures can be put on indefinite hold based on the niche we’re in.  Animated figures can be done in other styles and scales. 

Is Spin Masters prepared for this?
Report Spam   Logged
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:43:07 am »

Here's the terrifying bit of this for me:

"Ng expects Mattel to “aggressively pursue” new licenses, noting that Hasbro Inc.’s licenses to Marvel and Star Wars toys expire in 2020."

Um, no thank you.

Star Wars is not my concern, but I can't see Marvel going with Mattel over Hasbro any time soon. It's been ages since a Mattel figure impressed me -- probably going back to the end of DCUC.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 12:40:01 pm »

http://news.toyark.com/2018/12/26/mattel-loses-most-of-their-dc-comics-license-to-spin-master-327899

On December 21st, a seemingly innocent press release hit the web, announcing that Spin Master was signing a new license with Warner Bros. for the DC Comics brand. The release announced that Spin Master would be getting the license to produce “boy’s action category, remote control and robotic vehicles, water toys and games and puzzles” starting in 2020. At the time, it seemed like this was just an all-new license being granted for Spin Master to produce items for kids. But, on the 24th, news began to circulate that this was a much larger issue for Mattel, and fans of DC Entertainment toys.

According to a report by Bloomberg, this license agreement signals the end of Mattel’s master toy license. Spin Master will be taking over the majority of the DC Comics licensing, with Mattel retaining just some of their previous categories. Mattel’s license will include “preschool and girls’ toys”, while Spin Master’s boy’s action toy category will likely include traditional action figures. On Monday, Mattel’s stocks, which were already at an 18-year low, had another drop of 4.5% on the news. The report also states that Mattel will aggressively be seeking new licensing partners, noting that both of Hasbro’s Marvel and Star Wars licenses will be up in 2020 (unless renewed prior to then).

So, where does that leave collectors? DC Collectibles is likely to be unaffected by the change in hands. You will still see higher end collector figures from lines like S.H. Figuarts, MAFEX, Hot Toys, One:12 Collective, and Revoltech. If Spin Master is taking over the production of mass retail action figures from Mattel, chances are that 2019 will be the last year for the DC Multiverse line. Mattel’s DC Multiverse line seemed to finally get on track recently, with some impressive 6″ scale figure releases of late, especially with the Aquaman movie assortments. Spin Master is more known for kid-oriented toy lines like Paw Patrol, Bakugan, and Hatchimals. At this time, their approach will be hard to gauge. Like all DC action figure fans, we’ll be watching and waiting for Spin Master to reveal what they have planned, as well as what’s next for Mattel.
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 12:48:42 pm »

Now, will Spinmasters be interested in 6" comic figs? Can they even pull that off?

Damn good questions.  Undecided

Warner Media/AT&T need someone to competently make movie merchandise. 

More movie crap?  UGH!!!  banghead.gif  ( not a dig at you, Gard )

These 2 sentences completely contradict themselves:

DC Collectibles is likely to be unaffected by the change in hands.

If Spin Master is taking over the production of mass retail action figures from Mattel, chances are that 2019 will be the last year for the DC Multiverse line.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:56:58 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »

Movie stuff is a fact.  All the rest is gravy.  I’m not happy about it, but movie merch adds to the bottom line when a movie’s revenues are totaled up. 
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 04:20:03 pm »

Oh, I get it, Gard. 

But like most of us, I only want buy Comic Accurate stuff.  The pegs could be filled with super detailed Movie and TV figures for only 5 bucks a piece and I wouldn't want a damned single one of them.  ( Star Trek and Star Wars are obvious exceptions ) But again, I get that the movie stuff ties in and isn't intended for dinosaurs like me.

I am seriously wondering if any future comic accurate figures are going to be solely DC Collectibles items.  And if not, will it be all 'kiddie' type stuff coming from Spin Master?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:45:16 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 06:14:21 pm »

Side note: I've often imagined Marvel characters done on Mattel bucks, but that's not going to happen. 
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 08:12:49 pm »

Did Mattel ever develop a good female buck? The DCUC females had such scrawny arms.
Report Spam   Logged
powersthatbe
Online Exclusive

QC: 78

Base of Operations: pittsburgh pennsylvania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 09:49:49 pm »

It's a shame,but really I have been less then impressed with the multiverse figures and distribution and lack of them per year(compared to legends) for the last couple years.Doubt if this spinmaster co.would expand characters beyond batman and superman or be great quality.a wait and see.I guess we find out more mid February.
Report Spam   Logged

"that's not water,that's.. alcohol!"
Boy Wonder
Limited Edition

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 09:51:48 pm »

Star Wars will never leave Hasbro. Ever.

Marvel hopefully won’t. The only thing Mattel could offer is more money. But Hasbro does a good job with not only ML, but everything else under the Marvel umbrella.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 10:11:40 pm »

Did Mattel ever develop a good female buck? The DCUC females had such scrawny arms.

Agreed.  20+ bucks should buy durability.

Doubt if this spinmaster co. would expand characters beyond batman and superman or be great quality

It's probably too early too tell, but I agree with you.  If you want to expand into B and C list characters, you need somebody in charge who actually knows comics and loves the characters.

Star Wars will never leave Hasbro. Ever.

I agree.

Marvel hopefully won’t. The only thing Mattel could offer is more money. But Hasbro does a good job with not only ML, but everything else under the Marvel umbrella.

It's not really up to Disney, but since Disney owns both Star Wars and Marvel, why bother with another company coming in to make toys when you already have one company doing both lines?

So that begs the question: What license(s) do any of you think Mattel might try to go after?  What do you think they might be able to actually get??
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:26:22 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:38 pm »

Obviously we have a lot more questions than answers.  The main one being is this really happening or has something been grossly misinterpreted or taken out of context.  I’ll wait for official confirmation which is sure to come in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, some things to ponder:

Does Spin Masters even pursue the comic accurate adult collector niche or do they just concentrate on movie figures?

Do the 4H follow the license?

Do they pick up where Multivere left off or do a total reboot from zero?

Will they at least maintain the established relative scale and style of the DC figures which has been in place since 2006?

Three years isn’t much time.  A master license used to go 5-7 years.

What did Spin Masters do to wow WM/AT&T in the interview?  It must have been impressive.  Or did Mattel get complacent after 17 years?

Will they be receptive to JSA, New Gods, Shazam Family, Teen Titans, and maybe even some classic looks, or will it be Batman, Superman and the core of the Justice League Rebirth style?

Gotta admit, I’m carefully plotting my exit.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure