Action Figure Blues Forum
May 21, 2019, 01:33:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

More MATTEL Problems

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More MATTEL Problems  (Read 1320 times)
Boy Wonder
Limited Edition

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 03:26:47 am »

I don’t know what else is out there that would make any kind of splash. They already have WWE, Marvel and Star Wars are staying put. Hasbro just bought Power Rangers and already owns Transformers and GI Joe. What else is there? Video games? I could see them trying to scoop up the Nintendo license from Jakks, but I don’t think they can put an entire company on Super Mario.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 666

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 11:20:32 am »

Maybe Mattel will start on those internal brands that were rumored.  There was an underwater one at one point?
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 11:36:18 am »

Gard is right....it's all speculation at this point.

From what I've read, Spin Masters isn't exactly known for pumping out dynamic action figures, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything we see will be very kid-centric: sparse articulation, cartoony designs, probably an odd scale, pretty much all A listers....

Could I be wrong?  Absolutely.  I usually am.  It could be that Spin Master has been hard at work at this, and may have all kinds of blueprints and a whole new approach.  But my first instinct is that 6" comic accurate DC figures are done as of January 2020.

Just for a reference, here are links for 2 different Spinmaster items:

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m97826430085/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1660066209&utm_content=t0&adgroup=69489854088&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=117143829&product_id=m97826430085&product_id=395201284756&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjZLhBRCAARIsAFHWpbHJ84PhV5P2_edfFgAXI2mAHaNF4k4t-rMY52etJDvemhFIYF3mPU8aAlwmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://people.com/shop/spin-master-disney-tron-legacy-jarvis-3-inch-light-up-action-figure-figures-will-also-light-up-when-they-are-placed-in-the-cockpit-of-any-vehicle-by-spin-master-pe4ad7e69413db3aa89073d2f25e5bfcd.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:51:15 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 10:22:41 pm »

"Obviously we have a lot more questions than answers.  The main one being is this really happening or has something been grossly misinterpreted or taken out of context.  I’ll wait for official confirmation which is sure to come in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, some things to ponder:

Does Spin Masters even pursue the comic accurate adult collector niche or do they just concentrate on movie figures?

Do the 4H follow the license?

Do they pick up where Multivere left off or do a total reboot from zero?

Will they at least maintain the established relative scale and style of the DC figures which has been in place since 2006?

Three years isn’t much time.  A master license used to go 5-7 years.

What did Spin Masters do to wow WM/AT&T in the interview?  It must have been impressive.  Or did Mattel get complacent after 17 years?

Will they be receptive to JSA, New Gods, Shazam Family, Teen Titans, and maybe even some classic looks, or will it be Batman, Superman and the core of the Justice League Rebirth style?

Gotta admit, I’m carefully plotting my exit."

I know, quoting myself.  But I have a few more thoughts on this developing situation.

First of all, there are more scenarios than we can game out here on the interweb.  Worse case scenario is AT&T, Warner Media, and DC Entertainment decide we adult collectors are no longer worth the effort.  Toys are for kids.  So you fanboys can buy from DCC, or, one of the really expensive niche companies like Mezco, Hot Toys, or some of that import stuff.  Affordable retail figures aimed at adult collectors is done.

Best case is the new corporate overlords leave Spin Masters alone and we get DCUC 2008-2011.  The 4H sign on and we get the glory days all over again.  With updated sculpts and articulation.  But it all scales well and is compatible in style with all the Mattel stuff to that point.   

Frankly I doubt either of these is correct.  The truth is in the middle.  I do believe we get a few waves a year of comic accurate figures, hopefully in six inch scale.  Probably all Rebirth designs based around the heavy hitters.  Whether it blends or not remains to be seen.

I recall discussing Mattel taking over the DC license on the 'Mess with Hater.  Neither of us were excited about the prospect.  Neither of us saw Mattel as a reliable solution to what DCD was doing back in 2007-08.  Boy were we wrong.  And how.  This seems like a similar situation.  DCD was the devil we knew.  Now Mattel is.  We really don't know what the new guys will do.  Unlikely we find out too much before SDCC 2019.  If then. 

Thing is, this comes at a very awkward time.  The stuff we were shown at SDCC looks great.  Mattel has put together five movie waves that look like one continuous line.  Not my thing but well done anyway.  The Signature Series based around older DC movies and TV shows has proven very popular. 

But the main thing to me is what's happening in the DCU comics.  Seeds planted two years ago are about to bloom.  And where does Spin Masters fit into all that?  JSA?  Shazam Family?  Young Justice?  Batman Who Laughs?  Bobo?  This is the source of my frustration over the move.

Finally, this is a tryout.  Spin Masters must have torn it up in their presentation.  But they were only given the license for three years, not six or seven.  If they crash and burn this, it's not locked in for a long time.           
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 11:17:47 pm »

I recall discussing Mattel taking over the DC license on the 'Mess with Hater.  Neither of us were excited about the prospect.  Neither of us saw Mattel as a reliable solution to what DCD was doing back in 2007-08.  Boy were we wrong.  And how.  This seems like a similar situation.  DCD was the devil we knew.  Now Mattel is.  We really don't know what the new guys will do.

Fantastic insight, Gard.  Extremely good points.  Thumbs Up

Finally, this is a tryout.  Spin Masters must have torn it up in their presentation.  But they were only given the license for three years, not six or seven.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall!  What in blazes did they present!??  And as far as 3 years, it makes you wonder if that's the 'new deal' because of Mattel currently losing money.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:22:34 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 06:17:04 am »

I dunno what Spin Masters presented but it smoked Mattel like a Smithfield Ham.

Three years is because they’re new at this I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 07:20:28 pm »

Well, there's almost no doubt that Spinmaster will launch a new line of some sort, but what in blazes will it be?  For some reason, I see them doing something in a weird, new scale like maybe 5 inches.
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 730

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 01:40:20 am »

All I can think is that Spinmasters can't do a worse job compared to Mattel's current efforts.
Report Spam   Logged

Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 09:02:48 pm »

Question: Let's say it's some odd months down the road, and Mattel has had no luck landing other licenses.  They are in big financial trouble.  Does anybody think Hasbro may try to buy Mattel??
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Boy Wonder
Limited Edition

QC: 98

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 07:20:28 am »

I think that was a rumor like a year or two ago. I wouldn’t be surprised at all. In my head, just losing a single license shouldn’t kill a company, but since they were apparently already in hot water, losing what is likely a large part of their boys brand can’t be good.

They still have WWE though, which is huge. And they actually do a good job with it.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 666

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 04:09:52 pm »

Plus Barbie and Hotwheels.  If they wanted, they could downsize to just those and survive.  The merger may look good to stockholders though.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 04:36:18 pm »

Clearly, there's a lot going on.  Mattel made that announcement about Mattel Films a few months ago.  Regardless of whether or not that actually works, it's a HUGE deal.  Also, Mattel has ( or had ) really big plans for Mega Construx, too.  I read an article several months ago about them wanting to be a bigger competitor to LEGO.

Good point about them being able to just drop everything except Hot Wheels and Barbie.  If that happened, I'm sure other companies would swoop in and buy up everything else.

This whole thing is fascinating to me.  think.gif
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:09:35 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 09:27:03 am »

Sears seems to be going under.  Previous to that, they sold off a lot of their name brands like Craftsman Tools and Kenmore Appliances.  I’m not sure how much value is left in the Sears name.  Same with Mattel.  Without Hot Wheels and Barbie, what’s left?  Industrial Real Estate?
Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 230

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

John from the AFB Podcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:12 am »

I wouldn't want to be at their next shareholders meeting. Well, I would, but only as an observer.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 04:29:23 pm »

Here's a list of Mattel brands.  I don't know if this is everything.

http://corporate.mattel.com/our-toys/default.aspx
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:30:59 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure