Action Figure Blues Forum
June 17, 2019, 03:39:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

More MATTEL Problems

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More MATTEL Problems  (Read 1359 times)
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 670

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 07:08:17 pm »

I forgot they did Avatar.  Man they took a bath on that.
Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 230

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 11:57:57 am »

And it's too bad. Some of that was good stuff. Some
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 384

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 08:10:14 pm »

I would love to see some data on which Movie figures sell and which don't.  Does anyone here have any stories?  I've been reading that figures from the latest Star Wars movies aren't selling well.  What about figures from James Cameron's Avatar?  The recent Star Trek movies?  Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:16:30 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 670

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 11:43:28 am »

I doubt anyone outside of the companies that made them and maybe the big retail stores have that data.  And it's complicated.  Mattel has hard data on how much they sold to the stores and at what price.  They know if stores then did or did not ask for more.  They lose money if the items they make to meet the stores demand are not purchased by the stores.  The stores then have to sell them to people, which is not data Mattel would have.  They have to restock their stores as items are purchased, but that means they have to purchase what they think will sell through eventually.  If stuff doesn't sell they have to discount what's in the stores for minimal profit or even a loss.  Both Mattel and the stores have to then unload all of the product they have in their warehouses that never made it in front of a customer to second hand store chains or donate them or trash them - at a loss.  All along the way people have to be keeping accurate data of what sold when and for how much.  In a lot of cases I imagine that gets rolled up in larger buckets of money on spreadsheets that can't be traced back to Avatar or what have you.

Then there's the flip side.  If both Mattel and the stores underestimate how popular something will be the shelves are empty and Mattel has to go back to the factories to make more - which requires a sudden availability of money and factory time.

We bitch when there's not enough product to meet demand and when there's too much product clogging the shelves preventing us from getting the next wave, but I feel for all of the poor bastards that have to make dozens of wild guesses along the way in the hopes of getting what us fickle customers want.
Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 230

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 09:46:00 am »

We bitch when there's not enough product to meet demand and when there's too much product clogging the shelves preventing us from getting the next wave, but I feel for all of the poor bastards that have to make dozens of wild guesses along the way in the hopes of getting what us fickle customers want.

This is a universal planning department problem no matter the industry.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 11:45:50 am »

.... but I feel for all of the poor bastards that have to make dozens of wild guesses along the way in the hopes of getting what us fickle customers want.

I cannot even imagine what it must be like trying to crunch those numbers. think.gif

Doing movie figures has to be, at worst, somewhat successful because they just keep coming.  And a lot of them are properties that don't have toy lines outside of the movies, like Avatar, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jurassic Park.

Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
kcekada
Online Exclusive

QC: 186

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »

I think one huge problem with Mattel's handling of DC license is that they've never come up with anything better than DCUC.  Wave after wave of stuff that just seems to be created in a vacuum. There is no synergy in the 'line'. There is no reason for collectors to hop on board. And, frankly, I don't think the figures have looked very good in a long time.

I would guess that a few figures from the Aquaman line will get sold, but if Mattel still had a line like DCUC -- and had done an Aquaman wave with both film and comic book characters -- they would be able to sell a lot more.

I don't know if Wal-Mart and Target are still clueless regarding what collectors want (they must have some idea), but a toy company has to think long-term if they want to retain the license. If they don't have the customer in mind, they may as well forget it.
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 07:41:12 pm »

I think one huge problem with Mattel's handling of DC license is that they've never come up with anything better than DCUC.

DCD had pretty decent variety, but the styling, articulation, and scale was totally inconsistent.  IMO, DCUC was the best DC line we had.  It wasn't perfect, but no line is.  I don't think anything else will ever come close. 

Wave after wave of stuff that just seems to be created in a vacuum. There is no synergy in the 'line'.

Handled EXACTLY like DCD and the DCEU.  All over the Goddamn map.  I just don't get it.  Marvel/Disney/Hasbro seem to have a practically foolproof plan for merchandising, while DC/WB are the polar opposite. 

Honestly, I think WB would do great if they had the rights to SUPERBAT and nothing else.  Why!!???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:45:03 pm by Non-Chick Magnet » Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »

I guess this is all the answers we're gonna get for a while.  Spin Masters is gonna do figures.  With nothing else known.  Yeah, I know the response came from a faceless toady in the Spin Master PR Dept.  But it's a vague answer nonetheless.  And it's the uncertainty that is gnawing on me.  So many scenarios to play out.   
Report Spam   Logged
Non-Chick Magnet
Sword & Planeteer
Space Monkey in a Bag

Old School!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 12:45:29 am »

I'm going in with NO expectations whatsoever.  whistle.gif
Report Spam   Logged

Un-silent Minority
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up