Action Figure Blues Forum
June 19, 2019, 03:49:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

GAME ON!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAME ON!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4134 times)
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 670

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 20, 2019, 08:52:38 pm »

LOVE the small council and I could probably watch a show based those meetings

HBO's greatest sit com right there.

They surprised me with how many people lived.  I thought for sure this was going to go full Hamlet and everyone would die.  They did kind of have that moment when everyone that could have been king was dead and they picked a name out of a hat more or less after all those years of war.  Bran's ascension did make a kind of sense, which was nice.  I'm also unclear why the Unsullied got a say in much of anything.  Jon's ending was good.  Podrick even got his due!  Season 8 was bumpy, but the article Foley linked was spot on.  And having a semi-happy ending was a swerve in this case.

Drogon (a.k.a. the laziest name for a dragon ever) melting the throne that Daney only got to touch with her fingertips was brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 20, 2019, 08:55:38 pm »

good people (except Bronn)

In the long run, I don't think Bronn was ever really that bad.  He did his best when everyone was treating his as a pawn.  Even the brothel thing at the end was likely more to wind up the uptights than anything.

And I just remembered, Brienne getting to finish Jaime's entry was perfection.
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 1148

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:27 pm »

good people (except Bronn)

In the long run, I don't think Bronn was ever really that bad.  He did his best when everyone was treating his as a pawn.  Even the brothel thing at the end was likely more to wind up the uptights than anything.

And I just remembered, Brienne getting to finish Jaime's entry was perfection.

Bronn wanted everyone to think he’d do anything if paid enough.  Truth is he wasn’t so bad after all.  I’m kinda surprised he survived.  I also loved the idea of a small council show.  Bronn torments Sam, Brienne punches Bronn in the mouth, Davos says something dripping in sarcasm as Tyrian tries to finish a joke and keep order.

Also love Brienne as commander of the King’s Guard.

I always thought Sophie Turner was a pretty girl.  When did she become such a beautiful young woman?  That last shot of her at her coronation was stunning.  She looked regal.

After at least five years, I think HBO should think about following up on our cast.  Not a full season, maybe a five episode mini series or a few 2.5 hour movies.  Maybe concentrate on one Stark at a time except Jon.  Leave him a mystery.  Maybe even better would be a Tyrian centric movie or mini series where he has to solve a mystery before Westeros falls into chaos.

Loved how Sansa slapped down her uncle. 
Report Spam   Logged
darthfoley
Variant

QC: 38

Burned.

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 22, 2019, 07:47:56 am »

Was I the only one expecting Brienne to write something like 'father to Soandso, son of Ser Brienne of Tarth'?  I mean, I'm glad they didn't, but as she was writing I thought that was coming for sure.

Overall, I liked it.  There are things I would change of course, but I thought it wrapped up things well.  Certainly felt more natural than the prior two episodes to me.
Report Spam   Logged
Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 230

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

John from the AFB Podcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:12 am »

I think Tyrion's line of "It must have been a decent compromise because nobody was happy"  (paraphrased) is probably an indication of how the writers felt. about this season. They were written into a corner a bit with no clear cut way out.

I liked this ending. They gave almost everybody that lived a path they either were good at or wanted.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 22, 2019, 12:18:52 pm »

As raj said, without the roadmap from the books, I think the guys did the best they could.  Lots of story left, but without an unlimited budget, it wasn’t easy.  Thirteen episodes to wrap things up and put a bow on it made it all feel rushed.  Nature of this particular beast I guess. 

However, Dany’s heel turn, while foreshadowed for years, felt somewhat abrupt.  Jon killing her was pretty easy to see coming.  Cersei going out whimpering for her life was out of character.  Jamie comforting her, was not.  And if ya don’t think Martin signed off on all of this, I’d say you’re mistaken.

The top dog at HBO, whose name escapes me at the moment, has said not to expect any sequels any time soon.  Probably never.  Not even Arya going “west of Westeros”.  Truth is, I just don’t think Maise Williams can carry that football.  Not by herself anyway.  Sansa, Queen in the North sounds a little dull to be honest.  The fate of Jon Snow should be a mysterious legend. 

They only sequel that sounds interesting (to me), is a Dinklage centric show based on his administration of the Six Kingdoms.  And not as an ongoing series.  A series of limited series or movies would be best.  Maybe a politically sensitive murder he  Sam and Brienne have to unravel before a war breaks out.  Maybe Grey Worm wants revenge.  Maybe Sansa is more ambitious than we think.  Lots of possible minis and movies.  After a while and depending on how the prequels go.
Report Spam   Logged
darthfoley
Variant

QC: 38

Burned.

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 22, 2019, 01:59:50 pm »

I honestly don't think that's the ending Martin has in store for Jaime and Cersei, if he ever manages to finish the books.  Maybe that's just me feeling cheated after hating Cersei for the better part of two decades now, but a quick little 'she dies in the arms of the man who truly loves her' is so very unsatisfying.

I had a friend on FB recommend reading Fire and Blood, saying it gives hints as to what is actually west of Westeros and where Drogon went, etc.  Anyone out there read that one?
Report Spam   Logged
Gardner Grayle
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 22, 2019, 03:08:17 pm »

I get that.  I actually thought for a long time that Jamie might have to kill her.  But I think it was important for Tyrion to see the brother that loved him and the sister that hated him had both left him.  For good or ill.
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »

I definitely think the "valonqar" prophecy will come into play in the books with Cercei's death.  I've read complaints that they didn't follow it in the show, even though it wasn't used for the show. 

Don't think I've bought Fire & Blood yet.  Still need to get to reading The World of Ice & Fire, and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms now that the show has ended.  Might even buy The Ice Dragon.
Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 22, 2019, 07:15:39 pm »

I get that.  I actually thought for a long time that Jamie might have to kill her.  But I think it was important for Tyrion to see the brother that loved him and the sister that hated him had both left him.  For good or ill.

That was a nice moment.  Those that lived were, in their own ways, punished.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure