Action Figure Blues Forum
October 15, 2019, 09:58:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

My shrinking (nerdy) world

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My shrinking (nerdy) world  (Read 45 times)
retcon
Variant

QC: 25

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:42:02 am »

Maybe I am just feeling a bit depressed, but I have recently really been noticing many elements of my life disappearing. Especially from a comics, collectibles point of view. And I say this because it's always been an element of my daily life/routine.

Where I live we've just seen a couple of the long-standing comic shops (like 25 years plus) go out of business - leaving only one in the city and one out in the burbs when in the hey day, there were 5 in town and probably a dozen in the burbs. Plus the few collectibles stores that existed have gone - and even the number of fairs has dwindled. Thinking about it I even saw an old favourite down in Melbourne go at the beginning of the year so that's another part of my life gone - I visit there a couple of times a year.

I have also seen my internet community shrink a lot. Message boards and old communities are gone (Critical Mess' absence still leaves a hole in my life) replaced by what - a few Facebook pages? And not just comics and collectibles. Even a a site I used to frequent for TV shows and movies coming out on DVD - simply shut down one day.

It seems weird that we used to live in a world where nerdy things were on the fringe and now that it's mainstream - more things are disappearing.

Is anyone else going something similar at the moment?
Report Spam   Logged

Edderson
Pegwarmer

QC: 0

Base of Operations: London

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:55:41 am »

I hope it's a pendulum swing and communities like that become popular once again sometime in the future. We'll see what happens, I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 690

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:25:19 am »

I feel it too. I know lots of folks moved to Facebok, but I just can't do social media.  Mile High Comics here in Denver is down to one store. Even Toys R Us is gone. Assimilation resulted in dissipation.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 731

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:57:42 am »

I think our tastes change too. We used to be heavily focused on DCUC. It was the one line we all had in common.
Report Spam   Logged

Errex
Limited Edition

QC: 141

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 04:39:25 pm »

Forums like this one have their charm, but nowadays people seems to prefer the almost instant gratification derived from social media.
Report Spam   Logged

Sit vis vobiscum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure