Action Figure Blues Forum
September 17, 2021, 02:46:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Miscellaneous comics I done read and what I thought of 'em

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous comics I done read and what I thought of 'em  (Read 6043 times)
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 808

Base of Operations: Denver, CO - USA

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »

I recently discovered that Jae Lee drew a Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover, and wondering if it's worth tracking down. Anyone?

I remember digging it at the time, but I couldn't give you a plot summary these days.  Truthfully a Trans/Joe crossover would get my money, but adding Jae Lee would get me to pay double.
Report Spam   Logged
Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2013, 09:08:01 pm »

Reading all the Valiant titles. Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Wood are my top two from them right now, but everything coming from them is really good. Shadowman is the only one that isn't on the top of my to read pile but I bet that will change after the creative changes with issue 13.

Yes!  I'm looking forward to Eternal Warrior next week, but A&A has been the best book by far to date.  A mix of humor, drama, and action?  Sold every time.
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2013, 06:44:37 pm »

Eternal Warrior #1 was pretty good as first issues go. I'll be getting the next one.

Kings Watch #1 was also pretty good as first issues go. I don't have a lot of attachment to the characters, but I did watch the old Defenders of the Earth cartoons. Good set up so far.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2013, 06:01:07 am »

Reading all the Valiant titles. Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Wood are my top two from them right now, but everything coming from them is really good. Shadowman is the only one that isn't on the top of my to read pile but I bet that will change after the creative changes with issue 13.

Yes!  I'm looking forward to Eternal Warrior next week, but A&A has been the best book by far to date.  A mix of humor, drama, and action?  Sold every time.

Is it as good as when Barry Smith was doing it?
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2013, 09:49:17 pm »

Is it as good as when Barry Smith was doing it?

It's... possible that I never read that.  I actually didn't get into Valiant much back in the day.  When I hit the lotto I plan to get the old stuff in digital.
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2013, 10:15:01 pm »

I was never into Valiant in the day either. From what I've read of the digital issues, the difference is that the modern takes are a much more decompressed versions of the past, but with a hell of a lot of punch.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:59 am »

I was there from the beginning and it was fun stuff. Then it became Acclaim and wasn't as much fun....then there was the relaunch under Acclaim and I left.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2013, 06:45:44 pm »

A lot of the non-mainstream titles ended up dying without a proper finish.  I'm re-reading a bunch of 90's Image stuff and it almost all got yanked without a real ending.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »

A lot of the non-mainstream titles ended up dying without a proper finish.  I'm re-reading a bunch of 90's Image stuff and it almost all got yanked without a real ending.

I suspect that's because they knew they could put out whatever crap they wanted and it'd guarantee 500,000 copies for the first issue. Just look at all Liefeld's variations of the same thing such as Bloodstrike, Brigade, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Chooch
Space Monkey in a Bag

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »

Actually it was a lot of Liefeld stuff that I was re-reading.  Grin  He's the absolute king of not finishing a project, which to me is far more damning than complaints about his artistic skills.  I think it was a trend in general though that books got yanked without closure due to financial/business snafus.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2013, 04:54:44 am »

Actually it was a lot of Liefeld stuff that I was re-reading.  Grin  He's the absolute king of not finishing a project, which to me is far more damning than complaints about his artistic skills.  I think it was a trend in general though that books got yanked without closure due to financial/business snafus.

...and I guess once sales started dropping by issue #3 or #4 you could just scrap it and move the team on to the next #1.
Report Spam   Logged

Engineernerd
John from the AFB Podcast
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 231

Base of Operations: A Dark Basement in NE Indiana

John from the AFB Podcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »

I somehow acquired a copy of Superman: Distant Fires Elseworlds one shot. It turned up in a box, and I hadn't read it.....

So I did. It wan't my thing. Not the worst Elseworlds story, but the end was horrid.
Report Spam   Logged

"We collect little plastic dollies, it's all weird." ~ Scotty
fess66
Mint on Card

QC: 17

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2013, 07:51:26 pm »

Has anyone read the "Attack on Titan" manga yet? I had seen Good Smile Company release a Nendoroid set with the Colossus Titan figure and couldn't quite make head or tail of it. And then while trawling through the Kinokuniya manga section looking for Basilisk which someone had recommended i came across the English translation of AoT. Having read Vol. 1 to 8 now, i can say i am pretty well hooked. It helps that i managed to get the complete anime set as well so while waiting for the remaining English volumes to come out i can finish the whole series.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:48 pm »

Has anyone read the "Attack on Titan" manga yet? I had seen Good Smile Company release a Nendoroid set with the Colossus Titan figure and couldn't quite make head or tail of it. And then while trawling through the Kinokuniya manga section looking for Basilisk which someone had recommended i came across the English translation of AoT. Having read Vol. 1 to 8 now, i can say i am pretty well hooked. It helps that i managed to get the complete anime set as well so while waiting for the remaining English volumes to come out i can finish the whole series.

Don't know that one Fess. Thanks for the recommend though.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2014, 08:01:58 pm »

I've been reading the revamped Aliens and Predator stuff from Dark Horse. So far it's been pretty good. It ties into prometheus which I'm not reading as it's not mandatory. Alien is interesting as they're on the Prometheus planet fending off Aliens.

Aliens vs Predator is good stuff and the art by Ariel Olivetti is great to look at.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure