Action Figure Blues Forum
July 25, 2021, 08:01:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Kirby Your Enthusiasm" Custom Contest Discussion - Discuss the Entries!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Kirby Your Enthusiasm" Custom Contest Discussion - Discuss the Entries!  (Read 869 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:18:49 am »

I'm about to start posting the Kirby Contest Entries. This will be the new thread for discussion of the entries - praise, encouragement and constructive criticism all welcome!

Voting instructions will come shortly - please don't vote in this thread.

The entries can be seen here: http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,3282.0.html

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:26:29 am by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:48 am »

Oh man! What a blast!  rock.gif I just love the diversity of characters. Perfect tribute to Kirby.
Report Spam   Logged

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:59:14 am »

Wow, this is fantastic!!!!! I cant tell you how impressed I am with all the entries!!!

NiteOwl-Hack!
Andy- You sly fox, Baron Stucker turned out fantastic. Seriously he looks like he was just ripped out of the packet.
Jack- Classic representation, I cant tell who the head is and the detailed costume work could not have been easy!
Stars- Classy all the way bro!!! So neat and tidy as we can always expect from your customs.
Doc- Wow, is that vinyl? cut to size? excellent representation and keeping in spirit with the contest to try different scales.
TT- Thats what I'm talking about! The dreaded red and great sculpting to the face.
FB- The Master returns! The balance of skin tones is excellent, now keep cranking them out please!
FMS- Thanks for the detailed wip's. You truly have gone above and beyond this time. The sculpting, the wire work and the clean yellow! Man o man.

This is going to be the hardest one to vote for yet Jaw Drop  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:07:30 am by NiteOwl » Report Spam   Logged
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:17:38 am »

Geez guys,what a fantastic effort from everybody.So much Eye Candy!

Niteowl:When this became the subject for the next Challenge one of my immediate thoughts was wondering what you would come up with and you didn't disappoint.What a wild piece of work,very clever engineering and use of everyday items to churn this guy out.Paints are spot-on and i'm fascinated at how well he stands.Bravo!

Jack:Even with my limited Marvel knowledge i would be able to pick this guy anytime.The Head is perfect,sculpting is high quality as usual and the Paints are excellently blended.Once again you shine!

Andy:Well congrats are in order mate.You have churned out a quality piece of work that stacks up against anybody.You've worked with 2 of the most difficult colours to use i reckon and come up trumps.Nice work using the Tape too.Gotta say he's really tight in all areas,the Head came out great with the scarring too.You should be proud of this effort.

Stars:Once again you prove you are the king of the DC to Marvel conversions.He looks exactly like the Covers you have behind him.His face conveys that meanness that it should and your colour blends and highlights are just perfect.

Doc:Never imagined i would be seeing a B&TB Figure in this challenge.CQ looks like a perfect match to the Cartoon version for mind.Love the little details you have gone to whilst maintaining the style of that particular line of Characters.Clever application for the Tunic too,never would have thought of that.

TT:You,like Niteowl,had me curious what you would find to do.That must have taken some serious time to get that head and Scaling like that.You have some serious patience my friend.the Wings work really well to and the Paints are so ven and smooth.You never disappoint!

just ignore the next guy.

FMS:You crazy bastard,i can't believe you sculpted that Head,not to mention all the rest of him as well.I can see why he absorbed so much of your time recently too.You really pull out all the stops don't you?Both in the Custom and the presentation you really have put in an amazing effort.Paints are as solid as you could possibly get too,really can't say much more than congrats on such an undertaking.

To all you participants all i can say is thank you for getting involved and making this one great challenge and an even tougher one to vote on.

Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:32:06 am »

Well done all. Some fantastic effort all round. Nobody made it easy for themselves, that's for sure.
Report Spam   Logged
TotalToyz
Online Exclusive

QC: 90

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 06:09:43 am »

I am proud to be included among so many excellent entries!! Well done, everyone!!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm TotalToyz, and I approve this message.
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:21:27 am »

Favour to ask you all,anyone that's a Member of any other Forums or have a Blog how about linking this Challenge there for us?I'd love to see everyone get the attention they deserve and maybe attract some new members that will join in future challenges.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:51:56 am »

Favour to ask you all,anyone that's a Member of any other Forums or have a Blog how about linking this Challenge there for us?I'd love to see everyone get the attention they deserve and maybe attract some new members that will join in future challenges.

I've read your post but don't feel the need to comment  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:06:33 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:58 am »

Just to add my own comments:

NiteOwl: I absolutely love The Living Totem! Such a whacky character, and such a great job of challenging yourself! There is a great deal of detail there, and I'm particularly impressed by how much you've sculpted when you could have just painted. Wow!

Jack: Your work with the MU Scale just continues to amaze. I really do want to see all your MU custom together - it must be a giant collection by now!

Stars: You've got skills, man! Great character choice, great version to choose, and you've nailed it, of course.

Doc: Like FB said, how cool to see a BBTB figure in the mix! Great efforts, and I love how you managed to envision a BBTB version of Crazy Quilt. Great use of the patchwork colours!

TT: What an insane character choice. You made me google! I'd love to know the recipe and process - I suspect that was a huge task! Great stuff.

FB: What a fun choice. So great to see you back in the custom saddle, and thanks for that WIP shot. Very instructive for this beginner. I love the skin tone, and also the slightly masculine look of Barda's face that shows that there's a tough broad wearing those bathers!

FMS: To say you've outdone yourself doesn't begin to say enough. That's a bloody masterpiece and I hope you are absolutely chuffed with it. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

What a talented gang we have! Congrats to all for making this such a success!

Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 157

There's a little black spot on the sun today...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »

My opinion:

NiteOwl: VERY weird and obscure choice! I really like the fact you came up with something so far removed from the way we tend to think of what an "action figure" is. Nice sculpting and great paint apps. Only thing that bothers me, is that I would have like to seen the motifs carried around the body or at least know that the back is blank on the reference art.

Either way it is a really cool and original piece that stands out!

Jack: Man you really love those MU figures!!!!! Nice to see a comic accurate version using only the head from the movie version. Nice work, as always.

Andy: Awesome first attempt!!! I think the Baron came together really well. Nice paint and the chest tuned out great. Have to say though, the tape looks bad. I think it was a good idea, but it just didn't work for me.

That said, you should be really proud of this guy, he looks EXCELLENT for a first-timer!!!!

Dr Terrific: Great choice and snazzy execution! The sculpted parts are dead-on and the vinyl was an inspired choice!

TotalToys: Nice use of the much-aligned First App Thing figure. Really cool choice, and really well done. My only complaint is the wings. The  asymetrical connections just mess with my OCD too much. From the front it looks fine, but the shot of the back just kills me!

FB: WOW! Just a stunning Barda. You always seem to nail the essence of your customs perfectly. Your customs are always excellent and always a beauty to look at.

FMS: I'm just gonna come out and say YOU WIN. You are such a tool and no-good dirtbag that you had to go and make the rest of us feel bad about ourselves didn't you?

I hope you're happy with yourself you smug bastard, now I have to go on an ice cream binge to make the hurties go away.

OR if you prefer:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stars
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:26:28 pm by Starman » Report Spam   Logged

It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet...
Dr Terrific
Limited Edition

QC: 88

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:34:55 pm »

I just posted a link to the contest pictures on the FB Jack Kirby Museum & Research Center.

Everyone did an amazing, amazing job.  This was a great way to celebrate Jack and I really enjoyed participating in the party.

Awesome!
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »

Good stuff Doc!
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »

My 5c

NiteOwl
I just knew you'd come up with a really crazy character and you didn't disappoint. The intricacy of the sculpting wasn't immediately obvious to me but I quickly noticed more and more detail on this 'guy'. If you hadn't given detail on the build I honestly wouldn't have been able to pick how you did it. I also like the variety in colour used to bring him to life. Really fun stuff and super-original mate.

Jack
The most prolific customiser on the internet hands down! When I first saw Fandral I was stunned by the feel of the character because I honestly couldn't tell what scale he was in. That's a massive compliment because many of the bucks standout straight away and you made this guy unique. Look forward to seeing the rest of the trio.

Stars
As noted, when the character in question looks like they've stepped straight of the page of the reference comic you've done your job. I'm always flawed by how good your finished paint apps look and I suspect that's a custom purple. Special mention should be made for any figure that can still retain articulation because it's not easy. Top stuff. (is that Dracula's cape?)

Andy
You've blown me away mate. This is just your first attempt and you've really delivered something to be proud of. The paints are crisp and great use of the background too. Many of the aspects to your figure are things that you need to experience first hand such as masking, applying decals, sculpting and you've really stepped up. I'm so proud  Cry

Doc
Top notch as expected. I really couldn't tell that you'd sculpted the head, etc which is a huge compliment. And a commitment to that many colours is just crazy but you've totally nailed it. Kudos good Sir!

TotalToys
This figure is just off the charts for fun factor as it just screamed Kirby to me. It immediately brings to mind all those great 'Tales to Astonish' and 'Where Monsters Dwell' covers and that's as great a tribute as one can give to the King. Stand proud!

FB
Welcome back mate! What a return! Barda is a stunner. She's always been the type of character who walks both the hottie and tough gal paths and you've captured both perfectly. It's gonna be a pleasure seeing more of this stuff from you.

FMS
Hack

Report Spam   Logged

Stars
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 157

There's a little black spot on the sun today...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »

Yeah, that is a Drac cape. Good eye!!!!

Stars
Report Spam   Logged

It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure