Action Figure Blues Forum
July 29, 2021, 10:47:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"The Thing from Another World" Custom Contest - Discussion and voting

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Thing from Another World" Custom Contest - Discussion and voting  (Read 1124 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:12:57 am »

Welcome voters!!

You can view all our great "The Thing from Another World" Custom Comp entries here:
http://www.afbforum.com/index.php/topic,3987.0.html

DISCUSSION

This thread is for the discussion of the entries. Feel free to bestow compliments, provide (helpful) critiques, ask questions and generally make all our talented folks feel good about their efforts.

Remember - Do not vote in this thread.

VOTING

Send your votes as a PM/Personal Message (go to "My Messages") to Hyperion, by midnight 29th July.
To vote, you need to assign a total of 3 points:

Assign 2 points to your first choice
Assign 1 point to your second choice

The winner will be announced as soon as Hype can count the votes and report them to Scotty for announcement!

Well done everyone, and here's to another great batch of custom dollies.

Please take the time to support our customisers by casting your vote!  Thumbs Up
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AQ71
Chase Figure

QC: 32

King of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:29:02 am »

Just taking a glimpse at these, but Wow!  There are several that look to good to even find on pegs..great job guys.  Superb work.
Report Spam   Logged

JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 136

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sumbitch.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:32:02 am »

Those are all great. And the character choices! Yondu?! Miss Martian? Mano? Shadow Lass? (gotta love the Legion theme) Yondu?!

But seriously, what the fuck is up with that Ulik? FMS should be banned from these things. It's like Tiger Woods bragging about beating all those old guys at golf.
Report Spam   Logged

Trend is the Death of the Individual

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:06:50 am »

Amazing entries, seriously cool entries!!

Fish, I can't tell you how close I came to making Ulik!

Thanks for posting the pics and to all the entrants.

Details to follow in the next couple of weeks for the next custom project, think Santa.
Report Spam   Logged
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:34:31 am »

I've been looking forward to this and you guys haven't disappointed.Great job to you all.

Owl,firstly thanks for putting in some history for the unlearned like myself.Made it a lot easier.Excelent start to the challenge experience.That first completed pic really caught my attention,really feeling the Headgear and tight paints with tough colours.Bravo!

TT,at this scale you have achieved so much.Strong,even paints and no overflow between the colours.Would loved to have seen a recipe to know what you created and what was frankensteined.Love him though,great work.

AQ,straight up you get my attention cause you created a Martian character.My true weakness.Gotta say you achieved the perfect shade of Green for her Flesh and a great choice of Base too.It's great to see you back at Customising,look forward to seeing more!

FMS,i swear you have developed a thing for characters with weird Feet.Slick and subtle shading of paints,great combo of parts and i can see where some of your Sculpting has been blended in.I'm looking forward to having a gander at your WIP stuff when i'm done ogling here.Excellent asl always,not that i'd ever expect anything less from you.

FP.great choice that of course will fit right in with your current Customising plans.Skin Paints are flawless and the clothing lines are absolutely tight.Headpiece looks perfect too,this is a piece that anyone would buy if they saw her in the Shops.Reall outstanding Figure.

Jack,your Who Customs just get better and better and it really has become your forte'.Love the way his clothing hangs and all the fine little paint detail you've included.Looks like he came straight off the line with all the other Who Series Figs.Great work mate.

Bravo to all once again,really was a pleasure to look at these all.Thanks so much to Niteowl,Scotty,Dozy and FMS for all their efforts putting this together.
Now i juts gotta figure out who i'm gonna give my points to.Please everyone who is a Member here put your votes in,these guys all deserve the recognition for the efforts they have all put in here.

Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
TotalToyz
Online Exclusive

QC: 90

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 05:52:14 am »

TT,at this scale you have achieved so much.Strong,even paints and no overflow between the colours.Would loved to have seen a recipe to know what you created and what was frankensteined.Love him though,great work.

He was almost entirely a MU Vision. I made the fin on his head from a sheet of crafting foam, the strap across his chest from a rubber band, and his bow from one of the plastic "rods" that model kit pieces used to come attached to (I never throw anything away!). The quiver came from a SHS Hawkeye. I honestly don't recall where I got the arrow; it was in my "junk drawer".
Report Spam   Logged

I'm TotalToyz, and I approve this message.
Titansfan
Online Exclusive

QC: 178

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »

sent my vote in just now.  Great work guys.   bravo.gif
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:11:38 am »

NiteOwl - Yours was one of the ones that I was the most keen on seeing simply because you always pick the wackiest characters and I love that. You didn't disappoint as usual. The use of the fodder was very clever and you managed to get it to fit really well. The choice to paint the head so that it looks like a silhouette inside the helmet was executed beautifully and hey, you did a great job with the yellow.

TotalToyz - Just the scale is enough to do me in, so full props to the fact you were prepared to work in 3 3/4. I love the GotG and Yondu is an absolute must. Great job on the customising as you really made amazing use of all sorts of 'bits' to get this to work so well together.

AQ71 - The fact that you had to tell me what head you used is what this is all about. You made it your own and the character stands on it's own so well because of it. Rubber capes are never easy to paint and you managed to get great coverage. The contrasting colours of red and white are asking for trouble and you've done them justice.

fp_spirit - An overdue character for sure and I love the blue you used, simply a perfect match. Some great line work really makes her pop nicely and it all comes together beautifully, especially the detail in the face.

JackKnight - The most prolific customiser ever goes for a character with subtle amounts of fine detail. I'm amazed by how well the detail on the cloak is complimented by things like the gold cord/clasp holding the cloak and how can I not give you kudos for making an Eric Roberts action figure?  Cheesy

Well done one and all!!  Thumbs Up
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure